Adding a turbo to a N/A tractor

/ Adding a turbo to a N/A tractor
2.1 L. Looking up the 310 model and it has the exact same specs as my motor. I am planning on calling up the manufacturer today and see what the differences in the motors are. Maybe there is something I can do to it to make it put out the higher power without having to worry about melting anything. I wouldn't mind putting on the turbo just to say I did it though. Another advantage to doing the mod would be that I could use the oil tap to run it through a cooler to help the engine stay cool. I really like the fact that it is air cooled but I would feel better if it had at least an oil cooler.

/ Adding a turbo to a N/A tractor #12  
Here is a question?

The engine is rated at some HP at some RPM (torque X RPM=HP)

If you are not running at rated RPM, you are not running at full rated HP.

If you add a turbo just so you can realize the NA HP at a lower RPM, are you doing anything useful other than changing the sounds the engine makes?

Said anbother way, Is NA at 2200rpm and harder on the engine / fuel use etc. than is TC at 2000rpm?

Hmmm... I doubt it.

Now if you need more HP at full rated RPM, that's a different angle.

/ Adding a turbo to a N/A tractor #13  
Welcome to TractorByNet!

I moved your thread to the Parts/Repairs forum. :)

/ Adding a turbo to a N/A tractor #14  
I looked at a neighbor's Belarus but the ID tag on the injection pump is so worn we can't identify the manufacturer. Usually taking that info to a pump shop will give you the info on how the pump is set and what it can be up rated to. Installing the turbo - once you decide on the size the fit-up should be straight forward but getting the oil supply could be a challenge. Don't know when your tractor was made but I have visited a few manufacturers from the former Soviet Union. They told me that in engineering a product they did not commonly use standards. They said they needed a part that fits this mounting I just designed and needs to do this. Someone designed the new part to fit. Their objective was meeting product quotas, not repair ability. If the tractor or whatever broke push it aside and bring in a new one. When the USSR broke apart those plants got divested into owners who had to make a profit so the big s change to western components began - for parts availability. So you may luck out and have a Bosch pump and ports for oil along with a manifold from a junkyard that will accept a turbo. Good luck - sounds like a fun project.

/ Adding a turbo to a N/A tractor #15  
...I don't need a whole bunch but I would like to be able to mow without having to run it at full throttle...

It's your machine, so you can do with it as you please, but this doesn't make any sense to me. Why would you want to raise the output of your engine when you aren't using the engine's full output in the first place? The tractor is designed to run at its rated RPM all day long, so don't worry about operating at "full throttle" so long as the engine is at the rated RPM.

Running the engine at lower RPM but higher load will wear things out much more quickly than operating the engine at its rated RPM with the same load. What's wrong with using the tractor as it is designed? The full PTO RPM will make the cutter work better too.

If the engine really is the same as found in the Belarus 310, you well might be able to adjust the pump and/or swap out injectors and take the output up to 29 hp at the PTO from 24.

The air cooled diesels are really neat, and I love the one in my Pasquali, but they require a little bit different attention than a conventional liquid cooled machine does. Make sure to clean out the cooling fins very well, especially if you turn up the power. There isn't an overheating gauge, so the engine may too warm but not show any signs until a bearing spins or something seizes. Make sure you understand how the oil filter is serviced, and keep good oil in the tractor. Watch the air filter, too, and make sure it is properly maintained.