Adding External Hydraulics to a JD 870

/ Adding External Hydraulics to a JD 870 #11  
Didnt see that coming, I looked at an 850 w/o PS and akst around, I was told I should have power steering esp. with a loader.

I didnt know 870s could be had w/o it.

/ Adding External Hydraulics to a JD 870 #12  
Glad if my .02 might of been worth .10

May God bless your endeavors
Harold

/ Adding External Hydraulics to a JD 870 #13  
Harold-

Excellent!

Your suggestions satisfy several of the shortcomings in my design...with oil on both sides of the piston, closing the two valves will lock the ram up tightly...This also addresses the issues raised due to the smaller volume of the rod side of the cylinder and giving me use of the full length of the ram.

A much smaller reservoir would be needed now as well...with the bulk of the oil cycling from one side of the piston to the other...and any air that may enter the system will naturally gravitate to the reservoir

When I sketched this up, I also noted that it would be easy to "gang" the valve handles, and also extend them....making it even more convenient to reach this gizmo from the drivers seat...

Thanks for your ideas! I can't wait to get home and give this a try....

Be Safe!

Terry

That idea looks like it might just work. Let us know how it turns out when you get back.

/ Adding External Hydraulics to a JD 870 #14  
This set-up will only let you lengthen the top link from the seat. You will not have a powered way of shortening it. You are going to have to manually collapse the cylinder. Depending on the seals this might be ok by itself, but with an implement on the 3 point that might be a whole lot of fun.

You can use a single acting cylinder on a top link, I've done it. Power retract, gravity or armstrong extend. It works ok, but still requires a connection to the tractor's hyd system and a single acting valve. The only reason I did it was b/c the single acting valve was already on the tractor from some previous loader or blade that was long gone.

Dinerman, Do you have the shop manuals for the 870? They normally show the PB and SCV schematics and port locations. Often a port inside the tractor valve needs plugged also. That sounds far worse than it really is. You can get hoses or metal lines made with the banjo fittings and you can get valves numerous places. I'd still guess you're looking at a considerable amount of $ to complete.