Adding filter to my portable diesel fuel tank

/ Adding filter to my portable diesel fuel tank #21  
Absolutely agree.
I have two filters on my bulk tanks and, in 30 years, have never had a fuel or injector problem. If it matters, I also add Stanadyne Performance Formula fuel treatment.
Tractor numbers always between 5 and 8.

Now you went and jinxed yourself Six...… ;)

/ Adding filter to my portable diesel fuel tank #22  
Now you went and jinxed yourself Six... ;)

Let's hope not.

Here's my dual fuel filter setup. Hose is off because I just painted the tank. It's a 12V pump, a waterblock plus a regular filter and all is good. The waterblock alone is likely enough but I already had the parts. It works for me.

tank.jpg

/ Adding filter to my portable diesel fuel tank #23  
The attached is for non-ethanol gasoline for vintage cars and motorcycles that I just completed welding this week, but obviously would work for diesel. This uses only a single filter.
Scored a 'used' aluminum 50-gallon gasoline rated tank off of Amazon. I had never seen a used item on Amazon before; I'm sure someone didn't like that it was shipped unpackaged with just stickers on it, and returned it. Given I used rubber wheels, I included a static discharge strap and use the jumper cable to connect it to my truck metal when filling. I punched marks on the aluminum angle to make a dipstick for measuring.

I installed the Goldenrod 496 water-block filter which uses a higher micron (17 micron) rating than the non-water block version (10 micron). The filter housings are available in either is 3/4" or 1" NPT fittings. I don't like the inevitable tugging on hoses applying torque to the pump, so mounted it to the frame.

Someone on the forum recommended this company- Circle C Country Supply. They had the water block filter for $35, which was cheaper than Amazon at that time. Free shipping if over $50 order, and no business presence in my state, so did not charge sales tax. Consider ordering a spare filter element at the same time, as well as a filter wrench to get over the $50 limit if needed. And no, I do not get a kickback, but one would be much appreciated.

Goldenrod 496 Water-Block Fuel Filter 5662

Toukow

Attachments

• IMG_3021.JPG
    IMG_3021.JPG
    440.7 KB · Views: 105
   / Adding filter to my portable diesel fuel tank #24  
NICE pictures!

I didn't quite know where to put this.

Got a Diesel Fuel Delivery Today. Asked the Driver a few questions. And if the answers were true, I am not sure what to make of it.

Our Dyed Diesel does not have any Bio Diesel in it.
But Clear Diesel has 5%, and this company is suggesting to it's customers to have filters on the CLEAR Diesel Pump.

I have filters on Both, but WHY the suggestion of a filter on the 5% Bio Diesel?

They say, the Dyed will go Bio in a couple of years too.

/ Adding filter to my portable diesel fuel tank #25  
I think there's language in the new budget/farm bill that will up the percentage of bio-diesel of off-road (red) diesel. Even though it benefits farm prices and hold up the price of corn I wish they would let the market decide what the market wants.

/ Adding filter to my portable diesel fuel tank #26  
I think there's language in the new budget/farm bill that will up the percentage of bio-diesel of off-road (red) diesel. Even though it benefits farm prices and hold up the price of corn I wish they would let the market decide what the market wants.

I agree. I don't support regulated bio-diesel for the purpose of supporting grain prices. That's simply market manipulation that ultimately costs the consumer more money and makes the farmer very little profit gain in the end. Our economy is corrupted with manipulation of this type in many, many areas.

/ Adding filter to my portable diesel fuel tank #27  
NICE pictures!

I didn't quite know where to put this.

Got a Diesel Fuel Delivery Today. Asked the Driver a few questions. And if the answers were true, I am not sure what to make of it.

Our Dyed Diesel does not have any Bio Diesel in it.
But Clear Diesel has 5%, and this company is suggesting to it's customers to have filters on the CLEAR Diesel Pump.

I have filters on Both, but WHY the suggestion of a filter on the 5% Bio Diesel?

They say, the Dyed will go Bio in a couple of years too.

I agree with the driver. What we see around here is that the Bio Diesel is being made by relatively small refining outfits. People who buy it often say it is not always clear. In fact, it is sometimes kind of cloudy & apparently varies from batch to batch. I don't know enough about the process to know what is causing the cloudiness, but if the same is true where you are it makes sense to filter.

/ Adding filter to my portable diesel fuel tank #28  
I agree. I don't support regulated bio-diesel for the purpose of supporting grain prices. That's simply market manipulation that ultimately costs the consumer more money and makes the farmer very little profit gain in the end. Our economy is corrupted with manipulation of this type in many, many areas.

Having spent decades observing intervention in physical and financial markets, I can say that artificial market actions intended to make something happen that wouldn't normally happen on it's own never ends well. It almost always causes more pain and dislocation than would normally have occurred if they had left things alone from the get-go. It does, however, "kick the can down the road" so it happens on someone else's watch or at least doesn't happen right here and right now.

/ Adding filter to my portable diesel fuel tank #29  
Having spent decades observing intervention in physical and financial markets, I can say that artificial market actions intended to make something happen that wouldn't normally happen on it's own never ends well. It almost always causes more pain and dislocation than would normally have occurred if they had left things alone from the get-go. It does, however, "kick the can down the road" so it happens on someone else's watch or at least doesn't happen right here and right now.

Six, not familiar with Ohio, so don't know how the "bio" thing has affected you. I'm six miles from Iowa and have farmer relatives there. There was a "false" jump in corn prices as plants were built all over Iowa. A LOT of them have closed. Corn prices fell back to what the natural market will support. A LOT of farmers were hurt far worse than if it hadn't happened.