Adding Guages To your Yanmar

/ Adding Guages To your Yanmar #81  
Well I was going to install the gauges tomorrow but I can't find a 1 5/8 hole saw anywhere, figures. Guess I'll have to use 1 1/2 and file it out some.

In regards to the oil gauge. Is the T fiting I see people use a metric, is it easily obtainable at a auto parts store? I would like to keep the oil light functional, I use that to know when to release the decompression lever when starting.

If you have a gauge it should climb when starting right, esp if its mecanical? Im like you though id like to have both.

Thanks California, lastly is it necessary to drain the oil out before removing the sender from the block? Curious I'f the settled level of oil is above the sender. Thanks

When i have replaced them on a motor you dont drain it. The oil level settles out in the bottom of the motor, really cant remember where the sender is on our yanmars as they really have no pan.

But what id do is have my stuff ready and then just put my finger over it if i need to, but i dont think it will be over the hole.

/ Adding Guages To your Yanmar #82  
When i have replaced them on a motor you dont drain it. The oil level settles out in the bottom of the motor, really cant remember where the sender is on our yanmars as they really have no pan.

Both of my yanmars have a oil pan...what are you referring to?

/ Adding Guages To your Yanmar #83  
What did you guys use to remove the original oil sender, what size is it? I tried a 1" wrench won't fit it, 1 1/16 (27mm) to loose with open end, oil filter is to close to try the closed end.

/ Adding Guages To your Yanmar #84  
Both of my yanmars have a oil pan...what are you referring to?

Humm mine has a flat plate for a lower engine cover but I know a 2420 and a 1610 both have shaped pans of sorts they must have several adaptations?

/ Adding Guages To your Yanmar #85  
What did you guys use to remove the original oil sender, what size is it? I tried a 1" wrench won't fit it, 1 1/16 (27mm) to loose with open end, oil filter is to close to try the closed end.

A sender socket is 1 1/16" 6 point so a 12 point deep socket should be the ticket for you rather than buying a dedicated socket just for senders if you have one. :thumbsup: You can pull the oil filter off and grab it with pliers also just an idea.

Use a brass tee to utilize the light sender also but be carefull with using a brass nipple they will break. btdt

/ Adding Guages To your Yanmar #86  
My 1 1/16 is to loose, open end. Is the sender all one piece, as in the part the screws into the block is part of the sender or does the sender screw into an adapter? I am unable to unscrew the screw that holds the wire on, I had to cut the wire.

/ Adding Guages To your Yanmar #87  
Yes its one piece and not hard to unscrew either a pliers should get it or even a crescent wrench turned on its side may fit.

Once you get it off you should be able to get a hold of it better and get the wire off in order to reuse the sender more easily may take a small vise grip on the screw or cut a slot in the screw with a hacksaw to use a flat head screwdriver.

/ Adding Guages To your Yanmar #89  
The family has recently purchased a SC2450, i'm the one doing all the maintenance actions. I'm trying to educate everyone operating it on the easy pitfalls to avoid, low oil and overheating mostly. I'd like to add oil pressure, oil temperature, hydro/gear fluid temperature, water temperature and an ammeter. Perhaps an air restriction, a hydro fluid filter restriction gauge or even a hydraulic pressure gauge, but those are more my business and not critical to daily operation.

The engine is a 3TNV, and from what I can tell, has all the sending units already. They're just hooked to dummy lights in the dash. I'm thinking I can mount the gauges on the grab loop in front of the steering wheel. It's very solid, large and hollow. I figure i'll drill holes, mount the gauges vertically, then make a small sheet metal shield behind them to protect from branches and the like.

Has anyone added their own gauges to a 3TNV that can point me in the right direction? I don't want to alter the values present on the senders and desense the dummy lights. I'm not sure if I can just vampire on to the existing senders.

/ Adding Guages To your Yanmar #90  
I don't want to alter the values present on the senders and desense the dummy lights. I'm not sure if I can just vampire on to the existing senders.

You can T them in and reuse the light senders all except the temp gage and it will need plumbed into the coolant to read right it can be tee'd in also but dont count on it being accurate.

Look at this thread closer because Scotty Dive found a collar with a pipe threaded hole in that goes into the upper rad hose that will allow both to be used.

btdt on mine and ended up getting rid of the light sender and running the gage sender right into the old hole in the water pump housing and it reads right now.