Adding hydraulic ports.

/ Adding hydraulic ports. #1  

MDM

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800HST
I'm thinking of adding a set of hydraulic ports to my 2800. I may be way off here because I know nothing of hydraulics, but I would like to have something I could plug a future backhoe into. Would I just need a set of ports to do this? Sorry, but I need someone to hold my hand here. I have looked at plenty of posts, but in this sutuation, I would just need ports, not remotes? Is there a kit I can buy to add these ports? What would I need to get?

I just had an idea. My dad has an old horizontal type wood splitter that is run by a 5hp Briggs motor. I think the motor is shot. Would it be possible to customize this into something I could plug into these ports that I might add, eliminating the need for the motor and running it off of the tractor?

/ Adding hydraulic ports. #2  
MDM said:
I'm thinking of adding a set of hydraulic ports to my 2800. I may be way off here because I know nothing of hydraulics, but I would like to have something I could plug a future backhoe into. Would I just need a set of ports to do this? Sorry, but I need someone to hold my hand here. I have looked at plenty of posts, but in this sutuation, I would just need ports, not remotes? Is there a kit I can buy to add these ports? What would I need to get?

I just had an idea. My dad has an old horizontal type wood splitter that is run by a 5hp Briggs motor. I think the motor is shot. Would it be possible to customize this into something I could plug into these ports that I might add, eliminating the need for the motor and running it off of the tractor?
Ports usually = rear remotes, but not always.

If all you ever want to do is add a backhoe or any other hydraulic attachment that has it's own single or multi-spool control valve then you can break into the series implement hydraulic circuit and place a couple of QD's out the rear of the tractor. With this method you will have to insure that whenever your hydraulic attachments are not connected that the ports on the tractor are jumpered together when the engine is running. Otherwise your tractor's hydraulic pump will immediately self destruct and cost you big $$$ to repair. This is a common setup for tractors that have only a backhoe.

I don't believe that Kubota has a "kit" for this. Most dealers just plumb it up themselves. If you want specific instructions on how to do this yourself I will be glad to supply them.

/ Adding hydraulic ports. #3  
Mad,
I've also been thinking of adding rear remotes to my B-7800 Kubota.
Does Kubota make a kit for this, can it be installed by a mechanically (not hydraulically) savvy individual, and, any idea of the cost?

/ Adding hydraulic ports.
If I added 1 set of remotes, would this have the same effect? Would I be able to hook the backhoe up to the tractor hydraulics this way? What's your opinion on my wood splitter idea Mad?

/ Adding hydraulic ports. #5  
You can also get backhoes that have their own hydraulic pump that is run by the PTO.

For my L4400, a dealer installed rear remote cost $690!

/ Adding hydraulic ports. #6  
I have a tractor mounted with a backhoe fed by a beyond port from the FEL spool valve and returned to reservoir. Question is can I install additional hydraulic valves in that same loop for other functions?

/ Adding hydraulic ports. #7  
MDM said:
If I added 1 set of remotes, would this have the same effect? Would I be able to hook the backhoe up to the tractor hydraulics this way? What's your opinion on my wood splitter idea Mad?
By definition, a remote has its own control valve. To run a backhoe or splitter you connect it to the remote ports and just hold the remote lever in an open position, normally with a bungee cord. Plenty of people use this method and there is no need to jumper when not in use. A true remote is the most flexible solution since almost any type of hydraulic device, with or without its own control valve, can be used.

/ Adding hydraulic ports. #8  
BlacknTan said:
Mad,
Does Kubota make a kit for this, can it be installed by a mechanically (not hydraulically) savvy individual, and, any idea of the cost?
Yes there is a kit but it's way too expensive (>$1000). You need to use a solution like mine (around $450 total), a multi-spool Prince SV valve. Plumbing is simple and at most you would have to make a mounting plate. Plenty of people have gone this route.

Attachments

• valve mount 1.jpg
    valve mount 1.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 729
  • valve mount 2.jpg
    valve mount 2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 584
  • valve mount 3.jpg
    valve mount 3.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 489
  • valve mount 4.jpg
    valve mount 4.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 509
   / Adding hydraulic ports. #9  
m7040 said:
I have a tractor mounted with a backhoe fed by a beyond port from the FEL spool valve and returned to reservoir. Question is can I install additional hydraulic valves in that same loop for other functions?
I believe that with your setup whenever the backhoe is connected the 3pt is disabled? Correct? So, depending on how it is plumbed, my answer would probably be yes, but I would first have to know the routing of the plumbing. Remember valves must be in series with the open center fluid flow.

/ Adding hydraulic ports. #10  
BlacknTan said:
Mad,

When I got my B7800, I had the dealer install a rear (atop right rear fender) block so I could also control a hydraulic dump pull-behind wagon. The block just gets spliced into the hydraulic loop. I can attached the wagon to it as needed.

I also have the Woods 7.5' backhoe. When not attached the hydraulic lines at the rear attach together to complete the loop. When attached, the BH gets spliced into the loop. No issues with any of it. As I said, it was a dealer job (but not with any Kubota standard part; just off the shelf stuff). The cost was bundled into my overall purchase.