Adding intermittent wipers to a CK4020SE (or any cab model)

/ Adding intermittent wipers to a CK4020SE (or any cab model) #11  
Using the Dorman switch may be possible if the high speed or low speed part of the switch is not used. Looks like it would require a two speed motor in the wiper and a second relay to use all that the switch offers. Darn I thought I was onto something! I think the only way this switch would be worth pursuing is if the wiper motor is two speed but only one speed is used for this application. I will pull the cover off a wiper motor and see if there are two terminals (not counting ground).
Looks like @cioti was right!

/ Adding intermittent wipers to a CK4020SE (or any cab model) #12  
I just go inside until it quits raining or rains harder . . . :cool:

Let us know if it works! Might be an interesting upgrade if it's cheap and easy.

/ Adding intermittent wipers to a CK4020SE (or any cab model) #13  
If the wiper parks when you turn the switch off, like in a car, the amazon unit would work. It's just a little fragile looking for my tastes. Maybe desolder the potentiometer and remote mount the board in a little box under the dash.

If the wiper stops wherever it was when you turned it off, things get more difficult.

In the former, a delay box only has to supply power long enough to get the wiper moving, then the motor takes over and completes the cycle. In the latter, you'd need to know the exact time (impossible because of variable load) for one complete sweep and keep it powered for that long.

/ Adding intermittent wipers to a CK4020SE (or any cab model) #14  
The kioti wiper has a park function.

/ Adding intermittent wipers to a CK4020SE (or any cab model) #15  
Using the Dorman switch may be possible if the high speed or low speed part of the switch is not used. Looks like it would require a two speed motor in the wiper and a second relay to use all that the switch offers. Darn I thought I was onto something! I think the only way this switch would be worth pursuing is if the wiper motor is two speed but only one speed is used for this application. I will pull the cover off a wiper motor and see if there are two terminals (not counting ground).
Looks like @cioti was right!
For the application you’re probably choosing the wrong part. From the schematic I looked at, there are not any unused motor contacts and it is a single speed motor.
The Dorman (&others) is a nice compact full feature unit which would require almost a complete rewiring to utilize.
The unit I linked (& other similar) would be (IMO) easier to wire in but more difficult to find a suitable mounting location.

/ Adding intermittent wipers to a CK4020SE (or any cab model) #16  
Just added this feature to my Kioti DK50se HST this past weekend by using this relay module:

or this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CW1TCG5T

And yes I ordered one of each to see if there was any difference, and there isn't, so I'll use the other one in my other tractor.

And these knobs: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FVLVB55

Supply 12 volts to the delay board, and tap into the green/black wire going to the plug on the switch. Connect this to the Normally Open (NO) side of the relay, and the relay common (COM) to ground.

When the relay fires on the time delay, it momentarily closes the wiper switch wire to ground, which triggers the wiper relay and the wiper arm makes one sweep. Works great. I mounted the relay board in the pop-off cover in the pop-off cover on the roof pillar next to the controls.

You don't need to turn the factory wiper switch on at all, just turn the wiper delay knob to click it on, and turn the knob to set the delay time. The long delay time is really long (I haven't timed it yet), and it's a little touchy, but it's not that big a deal - and it works.

• Good Post
Reactions: J&K
   / Adding intermittent wipers to a CK4020SE (or any cab model) #17  
.When the relay fires on the time delay, it momentarily closes the wiper switch wire to ground, which triggers the wiper relay and the wiper arm makes one sweep. Works great. I mounted the relay board in the pop-off cover in the pop-off cover on the roof pillar next to the controls.
(y) Would you please add a picture of mounting location? I’m having a hard time visualizing it.

/ Adding intermittent wipers to a CK4020SE (or any cab model) #18  
(y) Would you please add a picture of mounting location? I’m having a hard time visualizing it.
I've been traveling all week and haven't been home, but I'll add a pic when I get home this weekend.

/ Adding intermittent wipers to a CK4020SE (or any cab model) #19  
I just realized I should have linked this thread

/ Adding intermittent wipers to a CK4020SE (or any cab model) #20  
Here's what the install looks like. I might work on the light bar and side light wiring this weekend, and if I do I'll get pictures of the wiring and switch mount etc.

i-2B4B6m6-L.jpg