Adding length to 16 ft trailer

/ Adding length to 16 ft trailer #21  
Do you realize this thread was from 2011? Some of these people may not be on here.

i'm aware.
worth a shot.
will everyone on this thread receive a notification that i posted?
thanks

/ Adding length to 16 ft trailer #22  
Yes, we see the post. The suggestion to sell the trailer and buy another one that more closely fits the need still applies. Yes, a trailer can be modified, but it needs to be balanced properly which means moving the axles (to the rear), which means modifying the wiring (or better - rewiring) the trailer.

/ Adding length to 16 ft trailer #23  
I think the controlling factor on this discussion for adding or selling to get the needed length should really depend on the person's ability to actually modify the trailer. The trailer I referenced about adding 10 feet to it started out life as a flatbed trailer, in the 20-24 foot range. My brother's boss needed a car hauling trailer to haul two conversion vans behind an angle deck one ton truck. I added enough matching steel I-beam to make it 33 foot long. I wanted to add a third axle, but cost vetoed that. So I removed the front axle, added hangers behind the last one and moved the front to the rear. I also needed to be an dovetail trailer. This was all done and the last time I saw the trailer it looked like heck! It was being pulled by a new Dodge, so I asked the driver how many miles the Dodge had on it when it was replaced. 450,000 miles on the old one and the new one had 100,000 miles on it, and the trailer goes everywhere the truck goes. He said they lost the keys to the coupler lock and had to disconnect it by removing the hitch, so they just left it on. I went to G rated tires and all was well till they blew one and started buying tires on the road. Most tire shops only carry 10 ply tires in that size, so that is what was bought. The owner complained about how many tires he was having to buy and I told him why. His option, spend the money on G rated tires or add a third axle. He never did either, and ultimately went out of business because he couldn't make enough money.
David from jax

/ Adding length to 16 ft trailer #24  
I extended my 15ft car trailer to 18ft, it worked well and I'm still using it to haul everything I will haul.
My axles were pretty centered so adding 3ft to the front actually gave me my 60/40 balance I wanted.

If you start having to move axles around etc. you might be better off selling and buying something else as has been already stated. 422385881.jpeg611939647.jpeg1155981905.jpeg1702957549.jpeg867333777.jpeg