Adding Lights to JD 4320

/ Adding Lights to JD 4320 #1  

Mallard1

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320
I'm looking to add some LED lights to my new to me 4320 compact. I see there are two wires at the base of the ROPS that appear to be for "work lights". they are powered when the switch is all the way to the right and use the 20 amp fuse. I have a couple questions before I hook into this wire.

1: Is anything else hooked to this fuse? or do I have all 20 amps or 240 watts to use?

2: If i stay below 20 amps I assume I can wire the lights direct with no extra relay?

3: I plan on a 22" 120 watt bar for front, 1 4" 18 watt cube on each side, 1 12" 72 watt bar in the rear. I assume I should use one side of the wires for the front and the other side wires for the sides and rear to keep from overloading the wiring?

are there any issues with what I plan on doing?

/ Adding Lights to JD 4320 #2  
Sounds similar to the wires I found and used for my work light. Just one light tho.

But I'd suggest going ahead using that pair for your lights and if they blow the 20 amp fuse, then make an alternative plan. Until then, am thinking you will be good.
Measure their amp draw as you assemble and use that info to make your decisions, if nervous about proceeding as I suggested.

/ Adding Lights to JD 4320
Thanks, I’ll order the lights and do like you said and measure the amp draw. I had thought about using the knockout to the right of the seat and using switches before I saw these wires. I just don’t see a downside to using the factory switch. If only want the head lights I can put up with the flashing yellow lights.

/ Adding Lights to JD 4320 #4  
If it's anything like my 4310 the work light circuit only sends power through the F6 fuse to work lights and trailer if it had the optional trailer connector.

Your flashers should not operate with the switch in the full clockwise (field) position. If the wires you found are indeed the work lights they should only be hot with the switch in the field position.

For typical electrical planning you should only use 80% of the fuse capacity. In this case 192 watts. Will 228 watts over heat the wiring or blow the fuse? Probably not but it would not be a recommended load. If it blows the fuse you could try sticking a 25 amp fuse in and monitor the wires with everything on to see if they get warm.

Yes the wires are fed from the f6 fuse, when I put my meter on them they are powered when the switch is turned all the way on. What I was saying about the flashers was if I only wanted headlights not the spot lights I could stop on the next to last position and have just head lights and flashers. On the extremely rare occasion I would be on a road I would do this

If it's anything like my 4310 the work light circuit only sends power through the F6 fuse to work lights and trailer if it had the optional trailer connector.

Your flashers should not operate with the switch in the full clockwise (field) position. If the wires you found are indeed the work lights they should only be hot with the switch in the field position.

For typical electrical planning you should only use 80% of the fuse capacity. In this case 192 watts. Will 228 watts over heat the wiring or blow the fuse? Probably not but it would not be a recommended load. If it blows the fuse you could try sticking a 25 amp fuse in and monitor the wires with everything on to see if they get warm.

/ Adding Lights to JD 4320 #6  
I'm looking to add some LED lights to my new to me 4320 compact.

Meaning these additional LED lights are only for "work" lights and you will only want them on when the switch is in the field position (switch full right) .

That’s correct, I ordered the lights today so they should be here in a couple days. I will see what kind of amp draw they have any go from there.

/ Adding Lights to JD 4320 #8  
I just did this exact light setup on my JD 2210. 20” under the tops facing forward and two 4” cubes on each side facing back. I used the switch that came with them and put it in the dash. I saw the trailer wire but wanted the full range of lights in addition to the work lights. I wired the relay that case with the lights directly to the battery.

/ Adding Lights to JD 4320 #9  
ededic
Any pics of that setup?

And maybe the amp draw?

/ Adding Lights to JD 4320 #10  
ededic
Any pics of that setup?

And maybe the amp draw?

Here are the pics:

IMG_1484 2.jpeg
IMG_1487 2.jpeg
IMG_1488 2.jpeg
IMG_1485 2.jpeg
IMG_1489 2.jpeg
IMG_1486 2.jpeg

Here is what I bought. Not sure of the Amp Draw.

20" LED Light Bar AUSI 288W Triple Row LED Bar Offroad Driving Lights+2Pcs 4" 60W LED Cube Pods Fog Lights With Rocker Switch Wiring Harness for Jeep Trucks Polaris ATV UTV Ford Boat,1 Year Warranty
by AUSI TECHNOLOGY
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QS7ZR9Y/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_JAadEbKR0V5E3