Oil & Fuel Adding mechanical oil pressure gauge

/ Adding mechanical oil pressure gauge #11  
It all depends on what the gauge and/or light is set to read.

If the gauge reads oil pressure, a mechanical gauge will require that hot oil be pumped to the location of the gauge. Should that like spring a leak, that hot oil may land in your lap. That may sound a bit obvious and you may think it not likely - after all, you may have a mechanical in you car or truck and it has been there for years. But, keep in ind that tractors shake, vibrate, bounce and are "abused" much more than that car or truck. Enclosing the plastic line in another hose may protect it from engine heat but it will not protect it from the wiggles and jiggles of regular use - it can still snap off at one end or the other.

It will work just fine with copper or stainless line - it will not change the calibration.

Have you considered an electric gauge? No line to worry about bursting.

I know, some people call them "calibrated idiot lights" - but isn't it funny that even the people who think that way trust an amp or volt gauge? After all, aren't they electric?

/ Adding mechanical oil pressure gauge #12  
Race cars absolutely use lights, often in conjunction with gauges. The lights are there to alert the driver to a critical system problem better than a gauge.

I like lights just fine and keep them working. 58 years old, owned a few dozen tractors, trucks and cars with them. Never lost an engine to low oil pressure or high temperature. All the fuss about gauges is overrated. If they make you feel better, go for it. Opinions vary, mine has merit despite your unwillingness to consider it.

I'm not unwilling to consider it, that's YOUR take on my statement. Lights are used in conjunction with gauges on race cars, and other applications to create redundancy, so if one is faulty the other is backup.
You consider the 'fuss' as you describe it to be overrated. That's your opinion, not a fact. Gauges give the operator additional useful information a light can't give them. And they usually look good and function well, an additional reason to add them. You don't want them- then don't buy any....

/ Adding mechanical oil pressure gauge #13  
I'm not unwilling to consider it, that's YOUR take on my statement. Lights are used in conjunction with gauges on race cars, and other applications to create redundancy, so if one is faulty the other is backup.
You consider the 'fuss' as you describe it to be overrated. That's your opinion, not a fact. Gauges give the operator additional useful information a light can't give them. And they usually look good and function well, an additional reason to add them. You don't want them- then don't buy any....

So now we go from no lights to lights that exist.

You win. Feel Better?

/ Adding mechanical oil pressure gauge
Received in the mall yesterday, I will go about installing and encapsulating the nylon line inside of a high-temp rubber fuel line. To each his own, but I prefer to see actual oil pressure levels indicated on a gauge. Considering the idiot lights or indicators are 18 years old, I have no faith in their ability to predict a failure - as simple as they might be. Water temp I can handle.. there are usually indicators an engine is overheating and the results would normally not be as catastrophic as oil failure. Alternator failure... well, that's an inconvenience at worst.

/ Adding mechanical oil pressure gauge #15  
Because his Ford was built by Shibaura in Japan to metric standards which often include BSPT and BSPP fittings. It is what it is.

I suppose that's something he would have to verify, putting NPT on BSPT would cause a leak of some kind giving an erroneous reading. Personally, I don't see these type (BSPT) fittings in his situation, I mean...Kubota are made in Japan and I haven't seen a Kubota with these type of fittings. Saying he has BSPT fittings that are "often included" in your second post doesn't do justice to your input. Your first input stated he "had " BSPT" fittings,...It is what it is.

/ Adding mechanical oil pressure gauge #16  
I added an oil pressure gauge and volt meter.
When the dash gets dusty or the sun is glaring on my dash I can't see the warning lights, so I wanted gauges. HPIM1452.JPG

Attachments

• HPIM1453.JPG
    HPIM1453.JPG
    212.6 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
   / Adding mechanical oil pressure gauge #17  
I suppose that's something he would have to verify, putting NPT on BSPT would cause a leak of some kind giving an erroneous reading. Personally, I don't see these type (BSPT) fittings in his situation, I mean...Kubota are made in Japan and I haven't seen a Kubota with these type of fittings. Saying he has BSPT fittings that are "often included" in your second post doesn't do justice to your input. Your first input stated he "had " BSPT" fittings,...It is what it is.

The oil pressure sender port of a Ford 1715 is 1/8" BSPT. Whether or not you (or anyone else that happens to read this) take that at face value is no concern of mine. I have 20 years in as a New Holland service tech and parts dept manager.
There's a lot of venom in this thread and I'm done here.

Last edited:
   / Adding mechanical oil pressure gauge #18  
I put one on my Ford 1900 as reason to find out if my idiot light was flashing on and off for no reason or a real reason like the pressure was low. Turns out the idiot light was wrong. The gauge showed good oil pressure hot and when cold. A non issue in my case.

I do like the poster with the gauge console. I'm going to look for one of those too. Someone already added the temp gauge to mine so voltage reading would be good too for when you first turn on the tractor and are blasting the glow plugs to warm it up. Will be a good test for the battery actually.

Steve