Adding Second Rear Remote

/ Adding Second Rear Remote #1  

gregkabob

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC45DA
I bought my tractor with one rear remote. This weekend my wife and I where out on the land working I had grapple on and the box blade (top link tilt). My wife asked me why I had to keep unpluging one and plugging in the other. I explained that when I bought the tractor I didn't think I would be using both at the same time. This weekend showed us that we do use both as I was cutting trees and doing some light root raking and boxblading. I told her that it could be fixed by adding a second rear remote. She said DO IT :D . Nice wife huh?

So my question is: How involved is it to add another rear remote? I'm heading the the NH shop at lunch to see what it's going to cost.

Thanks for the help.

Greg

/ Adding Second Rear Remote #2  
soundguy (i think) has a great write up on how they are installed on the TC45/55 series.

/ Adding Second Rear Remote
Ok, I found the post by Pineridge about the install tc-40d rear remotes and it looks pretty straight forward.

New question. I have filled tires. How difficult is it to manhandle the tire to get on and off? Sure wouldn't want the beast to fall over and try to lift it back up.

What size jack to you reccomend?

Thanks all

/ Adding Second Rear Remote #4  
I added remotes to both the 40 and my 55 with fluid in the tires . I used a big 40 ton bottle jack and 2x10 for filler to get the hight .I also used jack stands just in case. If you take your time and have a good floor to work on you should be allright. I had to jack it up just enough to walk the tire out and not tear up your lug studs. When i walked the tires out i tried not to lean the tire much i rolled it and turned it alittle at a time .As far as the remotes they have a series of oring's that has to be in the right place i used a small amount of grease to hold them in place. Both project's took less than 1 1/2 hour's. The instruction's where good to show the step's to install the valves. If you could have a helper to be there to roll the tire it would be better .Be safe and block the tractor good and set your brakes. Recheck your lugs after use.

/ Adding Second Rear Remote #5  
Greg,

Get a strong buddy to help you with the filled tire. They can be moved by yourself, BUT.......it's so much easier and safer with help. If the tire starts leaning you're in for a ride and you're not leading the dance. Get out of its way. Of course, don't let it start leaning is the answer, and there's where your buddy helps out greatly, especially when trying to get it back on the axle.

I don't recall what you filled your tires with, but mine have about 600# of CaCL in each of them. I always ask for help (but then I'm an old fart too) ;)

I use my BH to lift the axle up to place the stand under. Probably wouldn't use less than a 4 ton floor jack if no BH available.

Thanks guys for the tips. I just got back from the NH dealer and he said a second remote kit would be $500. OUCH! I was prepared for around 300 but not 500.

Is this the going price walking out the door for the kit? If not can someone point me to a better source? (ie. cheaper)

Thanks again,

Greg

MadDogDriver, I have the same fill as you do in my tires. I'll get my bud to help if I get the remote.

/ Adding Second Rear Remote #7  
Thanks MadDogDriver! I'll look into a diverter valve. I'm just not ready to spend $500 on the NH part and maybe a DYI set up may be the ticket.

Thanks!

/ Adding Second Rear Remote #9  
Good luck and keep us posted on what you end up doing Greg.

I'd love to try a DYI diverter valve set up like NH has in that other thread above. Just can't justify it right now since I currently don't have anything simultaneously competing with my single rear remote.

I'm not sure that when it's all said and done that I would come in under $500 in total expenses though. I think you could get the diverter valve for about $220 from Surplus Center, but the extra hoses and fittings might eat the remaining $280. It would still be fun doing it though.

MadDogDriver, I looked around for a diverter valve and couldn't find one. Do you have a link to it? I really want to see what it will cost me to do it. I need to look at the tractor to see how much room there is at the existing rear remote as I'm think (oh no, now it getting dangerous) that it would be neat to splice the divert valve in at the rear since I already have lines running to it for the graple and the top-n-tilt. If I could do it for under 400 I'd go that route. I've emailed a couple of places for quotes on the second rear remote but no responce yet. I've been to the sites that let you look it up but the second one doesn't come up with a price. The third does and it's around 425.

Thanks for the help and enchouragement.

Greg