additives everywhere!

/ additives everywhere! #21  
Yep.. if you eat only junk food.. don't exercise, and lay on a couch from when you get home, till you eat, then go to bed, and then get up and do it again.. There should be no wonder why your general health is lower than say.. somebody who makes efforts to eat ballanced meals.. and either exercises.. or engages in other tasks that count as excercise.. such as a few hours of yard/farm work with some elevated heart rate.. etc..

Not only is our society becomming an 'entitlement' society.. it also has lost the feeling of personal responsibility... add those up and then you get people that don't take care of themselves.. then wonder why they are sick, and what the rest of us are gonna do about it to help them went they can't do anything for themselves anymore.. due to their choice of lifestyle..

Soundguy

Soundguy

/ additives everywhere! #22  
Soundguy,

You make it sound like a bad thing to be able to eat junk food, sit around watching TV and not excersising. These are the things I enjoy and look forward to. I enjoy watching TV with a bag of Doritos or microwave popcorn and a soda or a beer. Most of my meals wouldn't qualify for a single category on any health chart, and the ones that do, I add seasoning to anyway. My idea of excersize is sitting on a tractor and puling the levers.

For me, it's a good life and I'm enjoying it.

The funny thing is that so many profesional athletes end up dying young or having serious health issues. I know a guy who has several world records in weight lifting. He's just about crippled now. Jim Fixx was a famous runner who died young. Allot of pro's end up extremly overweight and die at young ages.

I'm gonna enjoy my years and when my time is up, there won't be any regrets.

Eddie

/ additives everywhere! #23  
EddieWalker said:
Soundguy,

You make it sound like a bad thing to be able to eat junk food, sit around watching TV and not excersising. These are the things I enjoy and look forward to. I enjoy watching TV with a bag of Doritos or microwave popcorn and a soda or a beer. Most of my meals wouldn't qualify for a single category on any health chart, and the ones that do, I add seasoning to anyway. My idea of excersize is sitting on a tractor and puling the levers.

The funny thing is that so many profesional athletes end up dying young or having serious health issues. I know a guy who has several world records in weight lifting. He's just about crippled now. Jim Fixx was a famous runner who died young. Allot of pro's end up extremly overweight and die at young ages.

Eddie

It's all about striking a balance. You can have some junk food. In return, a little exersize to burn it off is in order. Those old athletes punished their bodies with far too much exersize. (or much too much OVER exersizing)

I'm a fine one to talk. I'm probably 30 or 35 lbs overweight. I'm shedding pounds finally, but that 35 lbs I'm packing around is no different than strapping 35 lbs of bricks on my back every morning. My heart and my legs suffer because I like those Doritos too. Some of us just don't deal with poor food choices as well as others.

I can't help but think of the old joke about the guy who had his doctor tell him he needed to cut out junk food, drinking and wild living. His friends ask him if that's going to make him live longer. "No, just make it SEEM longer".

/ additives everywhere! #24  
I'm not saying it is bad. i'm just saying that 20 years down the line.. that if you are in bad health.. you should know why. Which i think you will. As you said.. you enjoy it and will do it.. that would entail realizing the downstream repercutions.

Don't get me wrong.. i can hurt a bag of donuts or bag of chips pretty fast too.. and I do have a thumb on my right hand that fits the button on a tv remote quite nicely.. unfortunately i don't get as much practice as I want with those activities!!!

Soundguy

EddieWalker said:
Soundguy,

Eddie

/ additives everywhere! #25  
I am a researcher in the field of health and nutrition, natural foods, herbal medicines and related topics.

The World Health Organization periodically publishes their "ICD" -- International Classification of Diseases. This was originally created by the American Medical Association; it is mainly an attempt to have all diseases identified and classified in a uniform manner. It gets updated every decade or so; latest version is called “ICD-10”.

I take a look at the ICD from time to time to see how we humans are doing, in terms of our health situation.

Since the ICD is huge, in something like 10 volumes, I don’t read the whole thing. The latest version has a Table of Contents which lists all diseases we can currently identify and presumably treat (doesn’t include accidents & injuries).

Turns out, there are 1,775 PAGES in the ICD --- just to LIST all of the diseases we have. In case you don’t have the manual handy, that works out to about 62,900 DISEASES we humans are subject to, at least ones that doctors and insurance companies have "treatments" for.

A recent study reported in the Journal of The American Medical Assn, found that flu infections were missed in four out of five preschoolers who were treated for flu symptoms at a doctor’s office or emergency room, and in about three-quarters of those who were hospitalized.

If 75% of diagnoses for something as common and seemingly simple as "the flu" cannot be identified 75% of the time by physicians, what chance do you honestly think there is, that all 61,899 “other” diseases are all properly diagnosed?

It is well established scientifically that there are definite relationships between excess weight and disease. Reduction in the amount of calories consumed is directly related to longevity.

Want to live a long time? Eat less and exercise (something simple, like walking will do). Yes, you can eat anything you want, but there are about 63,000 "things" waiting to go wrong. :eek:

/ additives everywhere! #26  
Going back to the Wal-Mart part of the post, try Target if there's one in your area. They have meat labeled as from a company called "Sutton and Dodge", don't know about the chemical injection rate, but it's some of the best steaks I've ever eaten, and priced about the same as lesser stuff at the local grocery store.

/ additives everywhere! #27  
As both Soundguy and especially FarmwithJunk stated; it's a matter of moderation. Excesses in anything is detrimental to your health. My diabetes doctor gave me an equation for type 2 diabetes. Not everyone who fits the equation will get diabetes, but the number is small that don't get it and due mostly to stout family health histories.

The equation is: 30 years at 30 pounds overweight equals type 2 diabetes.

There are some 6 million people in the US alone that have type 2 diabetes and don't even know it.

I am living proof of the equation. My family line suffers from what some call the "Thrifty Gene". I have been anywhere from 80 to 150 pounds overweight for 30 years of my adult life (20 years old to 50 years old). At 50 I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I didn't take note or pay enough attention in my younger days and now I am paying for the indiscretions.

Most don't get diagnosed as early as I did because I have been getting full blood workups every year since I turned 45. Not everyone does this. The average is that most people get diagnosed after they have had diabetes for 10 years or more. Usually because of some secondary ailment brought on by the diabetes. So I reiterate FarmwithJunks remark.

Do all things in MODERATION.

/ additives everywhere! #28  
Hakim:
Where are your servers located? It is 9:30 AM here in Phoenix AZ and my post I just completed is showing as "Today, 04:30 PM. Maybe the time has not been set properly or the server is 7 time zones east of Phoenix.

/ additives everywhere! #29  
livincountry said:
... Just what we need is more sodium!

Having cured many hams myself using the Morton formula of 1 cup of curing salt per qt. of water, I have had some folks gripe about the amount of sodium in the meat. The simple solution is to just soak the meat in a pot of water which will shortly leach out all the salt (and nitrates) ... well, and all the sugar and spices ... which doesn't leave you with much of a ham but, you get rid of the demon sodium! Works well on canned vegatables too. Do not try it on potato chips.

/ additives everywhere! #30  
Moderation is easier said than done. I'm a compulsive type. It's all or nothing with most things I do. I don't eat a few chips, I eat the whole bag.

I've had six pack abs and when I quick dipping Copenhage, I gained fiftey pounds in less than a year. My family history has weight problems and a whole list of problems.

But if I was to avoid the things I enjoy in order to add a few years to my life, or avoid an unknown desiese, I think I'd go nuts. I've spent years in they gyms in California and have met a few of the top Bodybuilders in the world. Some good friends compete at the national level. They are good examples of those who take it to the extreme. Their diets are full time jobs!!! Every thing they eat is weighed and calculated as to it's benifit to there muscle gain and fat loss.

They are ALL neurotic!!!! Yes, I'm thowing a blanket statement over all over them. From the natural lifters to the full juicers, they are all very unhappy, obsessive misserable people. Male and female!!!

I still lift weights, but only once or twice a week. I also eat salads once a week, lots of fruit and veggies, but also plenty of tastey junk food.

If my diet kills me, than it's better than some random, outside force. There's no gurantees, so I might as well enjoy each day and try to make the next one ever better!!!

Give me all the Walmart steaks they have. I'll just add some more additives to them if they don't taste good enough.

Eddie