additives for low sulfur diesel

/ additives for low sulfur diesel #11  
When I was buying my diesel truck I did a fair amount of reading about ULSD that's around now and required for on highway trucks build since January of 2007. There was a dodge diesel site that had a fair amount of research regarding additives for lubrication and I recall that the brand that did the best with price considered was opti-lube. They also had a winter blend as well.

/ additives for low sulfur diesel #12  
The cost wasn't a factor in the ranking. The Opti-Lube XPD product was the 2nd best at lubrication but also was the highest cost per treatment. As I posted earlier- the best was bioD added at a 50:1 ratio, or 2%, best in lubrication and cost. One thing I forgot to mention earlier was it was soy based bioD, they didn't test the other types. I've been adding 2% bioD for a few months to my diesel fuel but I really don't know exactly what kind it is, there are several feed stock sources used by the producer. How much that matters I don't know, wish I had the means to test it.
The big thing I got out of the published test was pump ULSD did not meet the lubricity requirements many manufacturers want to see....

/ additives for low sulfur diesel #14  
I have never put any additive in my diesel for lubricity and haven't had any problems. I think they are all a waste of money except for the anti-gelling agents if you are going into cold country. We don't need it here. Perhaps a biocide if you have long term storage issues. I keep mine for a year or so at a time and never had any bio issues either.

/ additives for low sulfur diesel #15  
I use power service in my 790. When I don't, it takes a little longer to run smooth after start-up... Be it august or January.

After reading about the the variances in no. 2 diesel and learning which distributor to get diesel from, I still watch my water separator close, and use power service.

Got two different big diesel suppliers here, one don't seem to mind water and what not in the fuel, even with some complaints. The other supplier is very careful were they buy diesel from and tests the stuff on occasion also.

/ additives for low sulfur diesel #16  
I found this study on low sulfur fuel additives. Cannot attest to its source or validity, but appears useful and seems to agree with comments made by others. TractorByNet.com - Compact Tractor Forum. I have a '99 Dodge Cummins and a Kubota with the 750D engine. Do not have any experience yet.
Seems to be a broken link for some reason. Try this... http://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTechnicalManuals/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf or this http://rivrdog.typepad.com/files/copy-of-diesel-fuel-additive-version-3.pdf

People who say you don't need an additive are...(how can I say this politely?)... speaking from a position of ignorance.

You don't need anything IF you don't mind the slow accumulation of problems that using a QUALITY additive will eliminate.

/ additives for low sulfur diesel #17  
I use Power Service...
As far as upper cylinder lubricity, I think it's more important to add an additive if your tractor is older...my Deere 4400 is 12 years old and that's one reason I use an additive.

/ additives for low sulfur diesel #18  
I used Power Service in the winter to prevent plugged filters.
I have also used 2 cycle outboard motor oil at a 50 to 100/1 ratio during the early days of ULS fuel, the 2 cycle oil quieted my CTD noticeably and it also ran smoother & may have picked up a bit of mpg.
I don't run my Prized 1990 W350 CTD as it is now in storage but I do have a 275 gallon tank with 10 micron filter for my 1720 Ford & Vermeer 1250 chipper that I add PS & 1 gallon of 2 cycle oil.
My chipper doesn’t run that much so the additives should help eliminate/minimize damage to the fuel system due to moisture.
90cummins

/ additives for low sulfur diesel #19  
in older diesels , an 0nce or two of two-stroke oil in the tank will provide all the lubricity you need.

/ additives for low sulfur diesel #20  
I mix up a cocktail of Power Service and 2 cycle oil. I'm probably over treating, but I haven't seem any ill effects. In fact, it seems to quiet the engines down.

BTW - I prefer Howes or Stanadyne fuel treatment over PS, but both are harder to find. PS is like Starbucks, can be found everywhere, but tastes awful.