Adjustable Quick hitch wins this round

/ Adjustable Quick hitch wins this round #1  

charleyfarmall

Platinum Member
I have plenty of older and non deere implements including my very old Mott 72" Hammer Knife. It's been cold and rainy in Maine and I started have wanted to modify the Mott for the quick hitch but haven't had time to fix the top link attachment so it would fit.

Well, all this time, the grass has been growing, I had the worst looking lawn in the neighborhood. Plus the yard was soaking wet ( standing water in some areas) so there was no way I could take the 3320 out on it ( no I don't own a lawn tractor and don't want one).

It was warm and dry for the last two days which meant i had a good window this afternoon to mow. Ahh, but what about the top link... simple, remove the hook - see below. Adjustable QH wins. Eventually I will fix all my implements to Cat I specs. I also had to run out and get a longer PTO shaft tonight to fit it.

Attachments

• LawnMowing1.jpg
    LawnMowing1.jpg
    702.7 KB · Views: 251
  • LawnMowing2.jpg
    LawnMowing2.jpg
    717.4 KB · Views: 308
  • LawnMowing3.jpg
    LawnMowing3.jpg
    763.7 KB · Views: 207
  • LawnMowing4.jpg
    LawnMowing4.jpg
    990.1 KB · Views: 292
   / Adjustable Quick hitch wins this round #2  
Good fit. Is that an older model flail mower, Ford maybe?

/ Adjustable Quick hitch wins this round
No, it's an old 72" Mott Hammer Knife. It's a fine cut with 100 pair of blades. It produces a fantistic cut on lawns and doesn't use much power. I had a 76" ford 907 with brush blades that was a total power hog. It turned easily by hand but it sucked up all 42 pto hp I had on the tractor I was using. Sold it for what I paid. The thing weighed a ton too. I also have a 5' Caroni with hydraulic offset, it is a really nice mower too.

/ Adjustable Quick hitch wins this round #4  
Sounds like a great set up. I never knew what a hammer knife was till now. I only have 20 hp at rear pto, you must have about 30. Great way to conserve power considering most mowers require a lot. Probably not a bunch of them around. Is it similar to todays flail mower! Just wondering if it would use less horses like the hammer knife.

/ Adjustable Quick hitch wins this round #5  
Can you lift it off the ground? I'm sure the answer most be yes, but it looks like it has alot of downward motion.

Looks like that fork adaptor part is the answer to alot of guys problems with mowers not staying in the top hook of the QH.

I just looked again, and looks like it is just off the ground, as long as your top link is retracted all the way.

JB