Adjusting the Govenor on a Kubota

/ Adjusting the Govenor on a Kubota #1  

belah

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M4030SU 1992
Does anyone know how to adjust the governor(or if it can be adjusted) on a 1992 Kubota M4030su. I am turning a Winco 25kW PTO generator and when my home ac unit(5 ton Trane heat pump) tries to start,it boggs the engine down and doesn't start the ac. Winco said that i needed 2hp/kW so the tractor should start and run the ac unit. It seems like the governor is not kicking in when the load is applied. I am running the engine at 2200 RPM to get 540 PTO RPM. I have turned a 4 ton grinder/mixer fully loaded and still grinding without problem. Also,i've talked to other people who turn this generator with smaller tractors and their ac unit works fine. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. It gets HOT down here in Louisiana!! Thanks Belah:thumbsup:

/ Adjusting the Govenor on a Kubota #2  
Does anyone know how to adjust the governor(or if it can be adjusted) on a 1992 Kubota M4030su. I am turning a Winco 25kW PTO generator and when my home ac unit(5 ton Trane heat pump) tries to start,it boggs the engine down and doesn't start the ac. Winco said that i needed 2hp/kW so the tractor should start and run the ac unit. It seems like the governor is not kicking in when the load is applied. I am running the engine at 2200 RPM to get 540 PTO RPM. I have turned a 4 ton grinder/mixer fully loaded and still grinding without problem. Also,i've talked to other people who turn this generator with smaller tractors and their ac unit works fine. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. It gets HOT down here in Louisiana!! Thanks Belah:thumbsup:

These older engines tended to have lazy governors. Other than changing springs and weights I am not sure there is much to do. Someone with more knowledge will chime in soon.
Is the engine smoking when it is pulled down?

/ Adjusting the Govenor on a Kubota
No smoking from the engine. Thank You for the reply!! Any help will be appreciated!!!

/ Adjusting the Govenor on a Kubota #4  
No smoking from the engine. Thank You for the reply!! Any help will be appreciated!!!

That sounds to me like you may have a fuel issue. Have you checked fuel filters etc.?

NEW fuel filter. Also flushed out fuel tank in case there was any trash there.

/ Adjusting the Govenor on a Kubota #6  
I would have the injection timing checked. Retarded timing will make acceleration lazy too.

Brian

/ Adjusting the Govenor on a Kubota #7  
Could be timing but starting would be troublesome if the timing is out much. I still think you have a fuel issue. That tractor should run the generator with ease.:confused:
Is it possible that someone already messed with the fuel delivery adjustment and turned it the wrong way?

/ Adjusting the Govenor on a Kubota #8  
I run a a 35 KVA pto generator with a B3200 and it runs it with ease. I also ran it with a B2620 and in a pinch I have used my B1550 although you have to be carefull with the load with that one.
Something is amiss with yours because it is not getting anywhere near the power output it should.

Kuboman: Where is the fuel delivery adjustment on a M4030su?? I need to check that out. Thanks Belah

/ Adjusting the Govenor on a Kubota #10  
Kuboman: Where is the fuel delivery adjustment on a M4030su?? I need to check that out. Thanks Belah

I am not familiar with the injection system on that tractor. It is a 6 cylinder NA engine I believe??
Most of the smaller Kubota's have a adjustment screw under a tamper proof tin cap. You can look for that. If it has the Bosch IP that are usually on the larger engines it will be under a plate that is secured with wire and a lead seal. Assuming it is an inline pump. It might have a rotary pump. You can tell the difference by whether the injector lines come out of the pump in a straight line (inline IP) or are in a circle (rotary).
Sorry I can't be more help here. If I had a picture of the IP I could tell.