Adopting a new pup but.....

/ Adopting a new pup but..... #21  
The good news is Bennie is getting a good home where he will be well cared for.

/ Adopting a new pup but..... #22  
Congrats Allan --I am sure that pup has just won in lifes lottery!!!
Sigarms -- I understand and agree with where you are coming from but instead of shooting the dogs maybe you could aim a little higher:rolleyes:

/ Adopting a new pup but..... #23  
This fact is giving me nightmares. 2000 a year in one small county. I don't even want to know how many in the whole USA. We must control our animals better to stop this slaughter of man's best friend.

Yeah, it is really bad: Animals killed in shelters across the States Too Much to Talk About

and the gas chamber looks something like this:

http://www.nokill1.org/images/News/gas_chamber.jpg

Will A North Carolina Court Limit Use of the Gas Chamber? | Animal Law Coalition

I still can't believe it. And I repeat, we don't do it in my country and frankly I could never imagined somebody would use such way to dispose of unwanted animal.

/ Adopting a new pup but..... #24  
And I repeat, we don't do it in my country and frankly I could never imagined somebody would use such way to dispose of unwanted animal.

I think it's done with gas simply because the gas is cheaper and maybe easier, but I agree with you. There are better ways.

/ Adopting a new pup but..... #25  
My wife and I ran into a similar situation when we adopted a puppy from the local animal shelter. Because she was only 6 weeks old at the time we first had to apply and become foster parents. Then they told us that if we wanted to adopt her that she would have to be spayed and that they would do it around 10 weeks. I thought that was way to early and we consulted our vet, who we have been using for years and trust, and she said that the age that they consider to be safe has dropped quite a bit and that we should not be too concerned. We managed to put them off until she was 12 weeks old and everything went fine. I think that because of the problem with irresponsible owners that they have had to require the dogs (even puppies) to be fixed as a condition of adoption to prevent them from having to deal with the future offspring. I am glad to hear that things worked out for you and that you chose to adopt from a shelter. Good luck.

Attachments

• Bailey 025 .jpg
    Bailey 025 .jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 55
   / Adopting a new pup but..... #26  
I have had the unfortunate experience of seeing too many old dogs euthanized with injections. It isn't always quick, easy and painless. It's hard enough for me to watch an old suffering dying dog get euthanized when I know it is necessary. It would be unbearable for me to watch as healthy young dogs were injected and I could not do that job for any amount of pay.

I imagine that if it was your job to euthanize thousands of these animals that it would be easier for you to put them in a box and turn on the gas and not see what is happening, than to inject them one at a time. I guess there are a lot of people in this world who are able to perform these jobs, which are necessary in our world, without being traumatized by it, but I am glad I am not one of them.

/ Adopting a new pup but..... #27  
Do a search on Yadkin county gas box /animal shelter. One reason why my wife and I decided to get involved.

That said, sometimes you feel like you're in a rowboat in the middle of the ocean trying to empty the sea one table spoon at a time.

I've mentioned it before. Do some work with the department of social services in your local area. That said, there but for the grace of God go I.

I understand and agree with where you are coming from but instead of shooting the dogs maybe you could aim a little higher

I'd NEVER shoot a dog unless I felt that it was an immediate serious threat and I had no other recourse other than to shoot;)

/ Adopting a new pup but.....
Here is Bennie at home.

Attachments

• Bennie 043.jpg
    Bennie 043.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 73