Tires Advice Mahindra Tire Choice (R4 or R1)

/ Advice Mahindra Tire Choice (R4 or R1) #1  

KENB

Silver Member
Tractor
MAHINDRA 4110, Ford 2N
I am about to buy a new Mahindra 4110 with a loader. Does anyone have a recommendation for the tires I should choose?
It makes no difference to the price of the Mahindra if you go with R4 or R1 tires. I live in Texas. No snow here. Tractor would be used for around the farm use only. No lawn work needed. We would use the tractor w/ loader for dirt/rock hauling, bush hogging, digging with a backhoe possibily, digging a "ford" type creek crossing. Some dealers tell me get an AG(R1) tire, some say with a loader you should get Industrial(R4) tires. Some say with a loader get the AG tires. Who knows??? We have some sand, some black mud, some rocks around here. The R4 tires are wider and look better to me, but the R1 is all that I have ever had. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

/ Advice Mahindra Tire Choice (R4 or R1) #2  
You'll get better traction with the R1. I have the 6000 with ags and they are plenty tough and stable. It's basically just your preference. The R4s wont tear up as much ground and are wider in most cases, but don't get as good traction.

/ Advice Mahindra Tire Choice (R4 or R1) #3  
well, I would question ag's are better with better traction. I have a 4110 w R4's and wouldn't go back to Ag's on a bet. Deep snow, hog mowing, backhoe use, soft grassyt areas, rocky, very wet and about anything you caopuld think of as far as ground predicament where I live. I had a Ford 5000 with AG's for many years. the R4's (as far as I'm concerned) run circles around the ag's

/ Advice Mahindra Tire Choice (R4 or R1) #4  
I have sold A LOT of 4110s in the last few years and I can only remember selling 2 or 3 with R1. The tractor is heavy and will get good traction with the R4 tires.

Steve

/ Advice Mahindra Tire Choice (R4 or R1) #5  
For the uses that you have stated, the R-1's no question. Look at the face of both treads. If the corner of the tread can't get to something to get a grip, it can't pull. If you were mowing your yard or working on concrete a lot, the R-4 would be best. More flat surface to hold it up. But that is the reason that you need R-1, they don't hold you up, so they get a grip on the soil and rocks.

/ Advice Mahindra Tire Choice (R4 or R1) #6  
You can't beat the R1's for slinging mud if there is no concern for terrain damage.

/ Advice Mahindra Tire Choice (R4 or R1) #7  
If you look through the archives, the general concensus is that R1's = more traction while R4's = less damage to terrain.

Personally, I agree with this sentiment and it makes sense to me. Think about it - R1's were designed for work on the farm, R4's were designed for work on construction sites. What are your uses more similar to - farm or construction? I specifically choose the R1's when I bought my 4110 and I'm glad I made that choice.

/ Advice Mahindra Tire Choice (R4 or R1) #8  
Here is an example of what the traction on R1 Ags can do if you do something dumb like try to use your subsoiler to remove a stump.... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Notice that it bent the subsoiler BACKWARDS. That steel is about 1.5" thick and 4-5" across! (I'd have to measure it to be exact, but you can see my boot in the bottom of the pic.) These are air filled tires, not water. Anyone say traction??? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Attachments

• 359046-DSC00025b.jpg
    359046-DSC00025b.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 427
   / Advice Mahindra Tire Choice (R4 or R1) #9  
Another view...

Attachments

• 359055-DSC00024b.jpg
    359055-DSC00024b.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 323
   / Advice Mahindra Tire Choice (R4 or R1) #10  
I have also had both, and hands down for farm type work, the Ags (R-1) are best in my opinion. I also agree with these folks about the general thoughts on these tires. The R-4s I had on my Deer always seemed to pack to easy and then you basically have a bald tire spinning. They also don't clean out as fast.