ADVICE NEEDED: 2004 TC35A sudden coolant leak

/ ADVICE NEEDED: 2004 TC35A sudden coolant leak #1  

jedjoe

Silver Member
Tractor
new holland TC 35A 2004
Hi all,

So my 2004 TC35A (about 3000 hrs) was out doing some brush hogging when the tractor began leaking coolant. My wife was mowing (I was at work) and she managed to get the tractor up to the barn. It was losing power as she drove.

When I came home from work, I went to investigate. The radiator looked fine, but there was coolant dripping from what first appeared to be the lower radiator hose. I squeezed the upper hose, and got a squirk of fluid from just above where the lower hose attached to the what must be the water pump. I'll check in the daylight with an inspection mirror, but I thinking the leak is coming from the water pump itself, either a cracked housing or something similar.

Thinking back, I had noticed a slight change in the engine sound for about the past 3-5 tractor hours. Rather than the normal purr of that 3 cylinder engine, there was a barely noticeable rumbling kind of sound, like something was loose in the engine compartment. I wonder now if it was something about that pump, perhaps a bearing?

If anyone out there has some experience with this, I'd welcome advice. I'm also imagining that replacing that water pump doesn't require the tools of a service garage, that I should be able to order what I need and replace it myself. Any wisdom on that would be great.

Thanks all

Jed

/ ADVICE NEEDED: 2004 TC35A sudden coolant leak #2  
The actual job or replacing a water pump is usually a pretty simple task. Due to clearances involved though, expect to remove the hood, radiator, fan, and fan shroud to gain easy access. When you order the water pump don't forget to order a gasket. It will definitely be nicer to work in the garage than out in the field. Special tools are generally required for a water pump replacement.

/ ADVICE NEEDED: 2004 TC35A sudden coolant leak
The actual job or replacing a water pump is usually a pretty simple task. Due to clearances involved though, expect to remove the hood, radiator, fan, and fan shroud to gain easy access. When you order the water pump don't forget to order a gasket. It will definitely be nicer to work in the garage than out in the field. Special tools are generally required for a water pump replacement.

Thanks Roadworthy. I removed the battery (which on that model sits in front of the radiator), the radiator and fan shroud, and then the fan with it's attached shaft. It was obvious by this point that the bearings in the water pump had gone (3000 hours for the original pump, which is great service). Jiggling the pulley assembly produced a movement that revealed the damaged bearings. There was also that classic grinding/rumbling sound. Removed the relevant hoses (all in great shape) and v-belt that drives both water pump and alternator.

My dealer had the pump, gasket and v-belt in stock and is overnighting to me (there is never a day we don't need "Dutch" here on the farm). I'll replace the pump, gasket and belt and tighten to 7/16-9/16" deflection. Flush and refill the coolant. I'll also probably replace the thermostat as soon as it can get delivered (but it's easy to access on that tractor). Attached are some photos of the dismantle.

I'll send another post with the outcome. IMG_3824.JPGIMG_3820.JPGIMG_3826.JPG