advice needed before purchase, please (long)

/ advice needed before purchase, please (long) #1  

macdad

Hello everyone. I have been researching tractors for several months - largely on this forum. We're having a home built on 60+ acres. We're getting close to our tractor purchase and I now have a better idea of what we'll need...

I have operated tractors and other large machinery. We need to keep cost under $20k for budget reasons and a good finance package would be nice. The majority of the acreage is in CRP so that part (at least for the next several years) will only require weed spraying.

1. Most important job will be plowing driveway (2800 feet long, gravel, rises 300+ feet, grade averaging 8% or less for the most part, 3 switchbacks with several hundred feet of the driveway cut into a hillside, no significant shading by trees, much of it southerly-facing). Commercial plow service not an option. Snowfall is frequent during winter months - usually 6 inches or less, but occasionally 12 inches over 24 hours. Drifts will likely be an issue at times. The snow often melts between snowfalls - some years it will accumulate, but rarely more than 18 inches on ground. I'm really thinking hydraulic angle is a must as the direction the snow needs to be pushed will change depending on what part of the driveway I'm on (and what side is uphill and not amenable to a snow berm). I have a 1 ton diesel pickup, but would rather not subject it to the abuse of frequent, fairly lengthy plowing.

2. Rough mowing grass/weeds on a little over 1 acre as well as brush in several parts of the 15 or so acres of timber. (Our lawn will be small enough to continue using our push mower).

3. Weed spraying on 40 acres - combination of spot spraying with some broadcast spraying.

4. Making the job of moving firewood (5 cords yearly estimated) easier.

5. Reliability will be an important consideration.

I've considered the following:

Mid sized CUT with FEL and hydraulic controlled back blade (6+ feet) vs. a CUT (specifically New Holland TC 30) with front blade and carryall. I've also considered a Power-Trac but really want a blade wide enough to knock out the driveway in one round trip. I understand chains will likely be needed. I would include a bush hog mower in any of the above setups. I'm leaning toward the TC 30 because the front blade available with it is 78 inches wide with a 20 inch high moldboard. Of course, I would be giving up what many consider the most versatile implement - FEL. I do not think a snow blower is the best option as we will often have only a few inches of snow.

Sorry for the length - I'm trying to give as much info. as possible.

Thanks.

/ advice needed before purchase, please (long) #2  
A 72" power angle blade for the PT1430 is less than $700.00. Add that to the fact that it is on the front of your tractor and on the lift arms and you have a pretty good snow removal machine. I really enjoy my PT425. I have the 60" snow blade and it does my 8' wide drive in one round trip. But then, my drive is only about a hundred feet... not 2800! That's loooong! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ advice needed before purchase, please (long) #3  
Will,

With the length of your driveway, the grade and the switchbacks, I would lean heavily toward a front mounted blade. Twisted around in the seat only gives you half the view of where the tractor is going and can get uncomfortable in a hurry. Plus your body is not positioned properly to operate the controls.

Jeff

/ advice needed before purchase, please (long) #4  
I don't have any experience with long driveways or pick ups with snow plows on them...but in a recent post here (sorry, forget when and where) related to snow plowing/blowing someone stated that for his long driveway he prefers using his pickup with front snow plow over his tractor.

Just bringing this up as food for thought...maybe if you don't get all that much snow, a pickup (with a snow blade) might really be a great option...it does have a heated cab and might even have a great sound system... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ advice needed before purchase, please (long) #5  
Macdad,

I would vote for the plow for the front of your 1 ton. I have used both and I prefer the truck for uses as you described. I am not the one Henro mentioned in his post. If you plow sensibly, you will not abuse your truck. I am in the snowbelt here in Western NY, off Lake Erie, and it is very nice to be inside when it is windy out. The trucks also work great to help bust through drifts. The drifts tend to get quite hard in places.
I do not know what brand of plows they sell out west, but here in the east I really like the Fisher plows. Western also makes a nice plow. I am not to fond of Meyers. You can probably expect to pay between $2,500-$3,500 for a plow. They all drop the complete plow assembly, except for some small brackets on the frame, when not in use these days, due to big brother. The speed and comfort of the truck is a big plus. Your 1 ton is meant to do jobs like this, I would not worry about hurting it. Good luck.

Russ

/ advice needed before purchase, please (long) #6  
The tc 30 sounds fine for MOST of your intended uses, but for plowing the snow on that long of a drive i opt for the blade on the truck, 2800 ft is a long time on the tractor. don't eleive u will do much harm to it as long as u do just your drivway.

/ advice needed before purchase, please (long) #7  
I used to live on top of a mountain in the Pontiac region of Quebec,and had a driveway that was just over 1 mile long. Average snowfall was 5+ feet a year,with some storms dropping over a foot. Over the years I tried everything,except Sicard and a Tucker types of equipment. If all you are doing is your own driveway,and do not carry the blade off of the property your truck would be a good choice. But if you'll be lugging the blade to town,I'd suggest against it. Biggest problems with tractor mounted blades is the limitation of snow casting. If this is not a problem then a tractor mounted blade will work on a CUT,if your driveway is flat that is. If not a CUT with only a blade might not cut it on heavy snowfalls because of it's weight. But a combination of snowblower,fel,and rear blade would be able to tackle just about any storm.

/ advice needed before purchase, please (long) #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I used to live on top of a mountain in the Pontiac region of Quebec,and had a driveway that was just over 1 mile long. )</font>
That paints a beautiful picture in my mind. Was it as nice as it sounds? Of course, all that driveway work would be a real time stealer, but it sure sounds like it was a great spot. John