Advice needed for trim mower

/ Advice needed for trim mower #11  
I have a cheap MTD "throw away" with a 4.5HP Briggs. It is basic engine/handle/blade/frame, with side discharge. I use it for exactly the purpose you're looking for and I'm very happy with it. I didn't feel it was worth it to go with a self propel or anything, as I'd rather stick with a lighter mower without any frills on it.

My dad had one just like it that lasted about 20 years mowing a bigger area.

/ Advice needed for trim mower #12  
I see that some self propelled mowers are front wheel drive. I haven't used one but I'm guessing they would be absolutely hopeless on slopes.

Thinking about this I guess the reason for the trend towards front wheel drive is that it allows a much larger grass chute to be maintained at the rear end of the deck. Both my self propelled mowers are rear wheel drive and they have relatively narrow rear chutes because half the back end is taken up by the belt drive mechanism. But in practice, even with a narrow chute, clogging is not much of a problem because in long damp grass I set the height high and rarely use the catcher.

As I said earlier, I'd be very wary of front wheel drive on a sloping lawn. I can imagine that when mowing uphill the weight transfer would cause the front wheels to lose traction VERY easily. Maybe someone with a front wheel drive self propelled mower could comment.

/ Advice needed for trim mower #13  
I would have to second the string trimmer on wheels.

I'll third that.:D When we lived on 10 acres, I bought the top of the line, electric start, DR timmer/mower. It sure wasn't cheap, but was a pleasure to use, even for my wife.

/ Advice needed for trim mower #14  
As I said earlier, I'd be very wary of front wheel drive on a sloping lawn. I can imagine that when mowing uphill the weight transfer would cause the front wheels to lose traction VERY easily. Maybe someone with a front wheel drive self propelled mower could comment.

How much traction they lose depends on how steep the slope is. Sometimes it is necessary to push them but it's still much easier than pushing a non-self propelled mower.

/ Advice needed for trim mower #15  
Thinking about this I guess the reason for the trend towards front wheel drive is that it allows a much larger grass chute to be maintained at the rear end of the deck.

I hadn't thought about that as the reason, but it makes sense. It did seem to me that the cheaper self-propelled ones are all FWD and the more expensive ones are RWD.

/ Advice needed for trim mower #16  
A self propelled DR string trimmer is the perfect tool for such a job.