Advice needed: Looking for smallest SCUT or Garden Tractors with a loader

/ Advice needed: Looking for smallest SCUT or Garden Tractors with a loader #1  

tommott77

Silver Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1430 Deutz, Kubota bx1880, CAT 301.7D mini ex
Hi all,

Looking for some guidance/recommendations to fit a small niche need I have for a tractor to maintain and work my small home property. In essence I'm looking the smallest SCUT out there or a large garden tractor with a loader. Currently I have a JD 1025 and an Kubota G1900 but would like to consolidate them into one machine. I got the 1025 2nd hand with the intention of serving both as a mower and loader but my fiancé and the kids are intimated by it's size and don't like to mow with it, I'm out of town a good bit and have lean on them to get the lawn mowed consistently when I'm gone.

I think I've gone up and down the SCUT lineup of all the major players and it seems that everyone has the same frame size these days as far SCUTs go. I did find that the Kubota BX1500, which is going on 15 years old at this point, did have a somewhat smaller frame with about the same about the same wheel base as my G1900. I've been keeping my out for those. Wasn't sure if there were some other smaller framed SCUTs from other manufactures over the years (nothing too old as I still need reliability) that I may be missing.

I know the other options is/was a loader equipped garden tractor. The loader wouldn't be pushed harder than just moving appliances and small amounts of dirt/mulch around so I think this scenario would fit my bill as well. The only real loader equipped/capable garden tractors I'm aware of were the John Deere 45 loader tractors but I know those went the way of the dodo going on something like 10 years ago now and are next to impossible to find these days. I know there's some aftermarket loaders that I will consider but wondering if there's any other manufactures that made loader equipped garden tractors that aren't too old these days?

/ Advice needed: Looking for smallest SCUT or Garden Tractors with a loader #2  
I'm in the same boat. I travel quite a bit and the grass needs mowed by the wife. She didn't like the Ford 1900 I had so I sold it and bought a Simplicity Citation 61" with full suspension and a 27hp engine. It works perfect for her since it rides so well. She actually likes to cut the grass with it.

As for loader work, keep the JD for that use. I have a Steiner that I put a loader on it in the summer and in the winter I put a 54" power angle rotating brush for clearing the drive. Works well for my uses. (as long as I'm in town to clear it and when I"m out of town she just drives through the snow)

/ Advice needed: Looking for smallest SCUT or Garden Tractors with a loader
I'm in the same boat. I travel quite a bit and the grass needs mowed by the wife. She didn't like the Ford 1900 I had so I sold it and bought a Simplicity Citation 61" with full suspension and a 27hp engine. It works perfect for her since it rides so well. She actually likes to cut the grass with it.

As for loader work, keep the JD for that use. I have a Steiner that I put a loader on it in the summer and in the winter I put a 54" power angle rotating brush for clearing the drive. Works well for my uses. (as long as I'm in town to clear it and when I"m out of town she just drives through the snow)
The funny thing is when I'm out of town I'm up working at our mountain property where I'm almost using my larger tractor and mini-excavator.

The problem is I just don't use the loader enough to justify keeping the 1025 and a mower, and the I will be losing storage space when I get my project car back later this year at some point.

Curious about your Steiner as that's definitely something along the lines I've been looking and keeping an eye out for. The loaders seem next to impossible to come by though. How did you find yours? Ever consider selling it lol?

/ Advice needed: Looking for smallest SCUT or Garden Tractors with a loader #4  
Does your wife remove the loader when she mows?

Mike

/ Advice needed: Looking for smallest SCUT or Garden Tractors with a loader #5  
I think a 1025 as being pretty small, bigger than a riding mower for sure. Take the loader off will help, which takes about three minutes. Get 5hem to mow the wide open areas for practice.

/ Advice needed: Looking for smallest SCUT or Garden Tractors with a loader #7  
Simplicty makes a gas version with a loader; Legacy.

/ Advice needed: Looking for smallest SCUT or Garden Tractors with a loader #8  
I have had a JD318, then updated to a 332 for many years. Then a Case 646 with a front loader was added. Recently of both of them were sold when I found a nice low-hour JD2210 4WD with a loader and 54C belly mower. It was a perfect exchange. The 2210 is a bit larger than the 332, but not so much that it makes it impossible to use as a mower. I drop the bucket off and do the mowing with the loader on. If the loader gets in the way, I can raise it up and out of the way in most cases. So, as the OP wants, a machine like this is about the smallest machine that has a useable loader. The Case 646 was a little smaller, but it didn't have power steering and only 2WD. It was very limited. But on the other hand, that little thing could lift half a ton.

/ Advice needed: Looking for smallest SCUT or Garden Tractors with a loader
Thanks for all the replies. In terms of some of the questions. Yes, I make sure to have the loader removed when she mows with it. In talking to her it's the ROPS that her main concern as we have a lot of trees and obstacles to drive around.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions on the tractors. I was remembering in the back of my head that there were some small Case loader tractors, but couldn't remember what model. Due to their age and rarity to find one with a loader deck not sure if a 646 a realistic option for me, but they are the perfect size . I was totally unaware of the Simplicity. I'd much rather have a diesel but it does look like a very cool little machine that I'll definitely consider. They're website was a bit vague on specs/details so I'll have to do some more digging on that one.

I did find that Mahindra does currently offer what appears to be a smaller frame SCUT the E MAX 20. I'm definitely not one of those guys who turns their noses up at brands, as I have a Deere and Kubota sitting next to eachtoher every day, but for some reason I've always felt that Mahindra is the least desirable name when it comes tractors. Aside from those concerns. it seems to fit the bill perfectly. I love that it has the Yanmar motor (I have 3 machines that have yanmars and literally have had 0 problems with them), it has the smaller wheel base, the ROPs looks like it can be folded down to below the seat level of the tractor, and the loader and rest of its capabilities look impressive on paper. I'll try to see if the local dealer has any to check but in the interim if anybody wants to talk me in/out of a Mahindra feel free.

/ Advice needed: Looking for smallest SCUT or Garden Tractors with a loader #10  
I was also looking for something like that a while back. I think Kubota's 1880 is the smallest modern scut out there. They're still bigger in size compared to the old Case 400 or 600 series (and their Ingersoll versions). But the problem with buying old case/ingersoll tractors (they're great, btw), they're old....you're going to be doing maintenance on them, like regularly. It's also older tech, they have a shuttle shift instead of forward/reverse pedals, for instance. No 4wd generally, although I think Ingersoll did have one model with 4wd. I dunno if any of them had power steering either, maybe that 4wd version did. Those loaders are not quick detach either, at least not as easy to take off like on a modern scut.

As was mentioned by Oldnslo, another option is to just add a Johnny Bucket on your garden tractor. That thing actually is quick detach, so that's handy. But to be clear, it's not a loader, you can't raise it much higher than maybe a foot or so. It's billed as a scoop, but I could see it being an ok option for scooping mulch, hauling it to your beds, that sort of thing. I had the manual version of something like that mounted on my craftsman gt. I only used it a few times, didn't find it all that great.

I have a massey gc1710, absolutely love that thing. With the loader and hoe off, it's only slightly bigger than my craftsman. But then on it I have 4wd, power steering, side by side pedals (I love that compared to treadle), and the mower on it is an absolute beast. If I let my lawn/yard get wild, I don't even bother with the craftsman...the massey will chew right through tall grass where my craftsman would get bogged down.