Advice needed please Converting a Curtis snow plow pin frame to a quick attach

/ Advice needed please Converting a Curtis snow plow pin frame to a quick attach #11  
My first plow mounted to a 3pt Quick Hitch welded to a SSQA plate. Toplink was chain for float & worked well. I had planned a similar setup, but ended up buying a factory SSQA plow for my new L4060 after the old plow ran off with the old tractor.

Not enough snow to use the dam plow this year yet, but I'm concerned about the loader + plow weight. I suspect I'll be putting a hinge on the bottom of my SSQA plate to get plow float rather than using loader float. Generally more weight on your wheels means better traction & steering. More weight on your blade means less traction & steering.

I suspect skid steers plows are really only meant for paved parking lots, hence the lack of float. I hear & will hopefully soon confirm myself they don't work as well on tractors & gravel.

You can see photos of my old yellow plow & new stainless one at Plow - Google Photos

/ Advice needed please Converting a Curtis snow plow pin frame to a quick attach #12  
I have a gravel drive and once I learned how to use the blade with shoes floating the FEL has been great. Zero issues with the front lifting or Un-weighting the front tires. It's floating not pushing down and lifting the tires! The constant adjustment of curl gives very accurate adjustment. In the fall curl back so you make a nice base. Curl down to cut a little ice or clean things up. I get the drop and go approach but if you have FEL float why not take advantage left and right movement of the joystick?

/ Advice needed please Converting a Curtis snow plow pin frame to a quick attach #13  
I have a gravel drive and once I learned how to use the blade with shoes floating the FEL has been great. Zero issues with the front lifting or Un-weighting the front tires. It's floating not pushing down and lifting the tires! The constant adjustment of curl gives very accurate adjustment. In the fall curl back so you make a nice base. Curl down to cut a little ice or clean things up. I get the drop and go approach but if you have FEL float why not take advantage left and right movement of the joystick?

Do you want half the weight of your loader putting weight/traction on your front tires & the other half making your plow dig in harder? Or do you want most of your loader weight & possibly even a little plow weight putting weight & traction on the front tires?

Colorado will be 10 degrees one day & 40+ the next. Makes for a lot of plowing on less than frozen solid ground. Even with skid shoes you plow a lot of gravel. More blade weight is not your friend there. Less of a problem with pavement or permafrost that some of you guys get to deal with.

/ Advice needed please Converting a Curtis snow plow pin frame to a quick attach
Thanks for the advise and pictures. My Curtis plow frame have four pin locations, two for the loader arms (lift) and two for the pistons (curl). Should I just have a set of "pin tabs" fabricated similar to the ones I am cutting off my loader bucket and weld those to a 5/16ths solid adapter plate to mount the plow to the quick attach?

/ Advice needed please Converting a Curtis snow plow pin frame to a quick attach #15  
Can you attach a pic of your plow frame and loader?
You should not have to cut anything off the loader bucket.
If your loader does not have QA for attachments then you have a lot more work to do than I.
Not sure but I think Everything Attachments and maybe Titan Attachments have kits to make your loader QA.

/ Advice needed please Converting a Curtis snow plow pin frame to a quick attach #16  
I think one of these adapters is what you are after. As stated above attach some pics if you are looking for something else.

Universal Skid Steer Quick Attach Accessories, Hitches, Adapters

/ Advice needed please Converting a Curtis snow plow pin frame to a quick attach
Can you attach a pic of your plow frame and loader?
You should not have to cut anything off the loader bucket.
If your loader does not have QA for attachments then you have a lot more work to do than I.
Not sure but I think Everything Attachments and maybe Titan Attachments have kits to make your loader QA.
Thanks, will post some pics tomorrow.

/ Advice needed please Converting a Curtis snow plow pin frame to a quick attach #18  
Finished up my snow plow mods. In my original design the plow was fixed (welded to QA plate). Now the plow hangs on pins under plate and chain lift on top just like a regular truck plow and will float.
First pic shows tabs welded to bottom of QA plate.
Pic 2 is a piece of channel welded to top of plate with slot cut for chain.
Pic 3 shows A-frame with new cross brace welded in, holes drilled and brackets bolted in.
Pic 4,5,6,7 test fit hanging A-frame to bottom of plate and remount cushion relief valve.
Pic 8 ready to test on next snowfall.

Attachments

• DSCN1982 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1982 (Medium).JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 275
  • DSCN1981 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1981 (Medium).JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 282
  • DSCN1980 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1980 (Medium).JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 208
  • DSCN1979 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1979 (Medium).JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 268
  • DSCN1978 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1978 (Medium).JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 186
  • DSCN1977 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1977 (Medium).JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 215
  • DSCN1976 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1976 (Medium).JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCN1975 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1975 (Medium).JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 245
   / Advice needed please Converting a Curtis snow plow pin frame to a quick attach #19  
Finished up my snow plow mods. In my original design the plow was fixed (welded to QA plate). Now the plow hangs on pins under plate and chain lift on top just like a regular truck plow and will float.
First pic shows tabs welded to bottom of QA plate.
Pic 2 is a piece of channel welded to top of plate with slot cut for chain.
Pic 3 shows A-frame with new cross brace welded in, holes drilled and brackets bolted in.
Pic 4,5,6,7 test fit hanging A-frame to bottom of plate and remount cushion relief valve.
Pic 8 ready to test on next snowfall.

Thats basically how my old plow was mounted & it worked well.

My new plow has as solid mount... for now. I'm likely to unbolt the A frame from the SSQA & put a hindge on the bottom & chain or telescoping rod ontop to flex. Need to run it stock through at least one snow before I start modding.

/ Advice needed please Converting a Curtis snow plow pin frame to a quick attach #20  
George2615:Looks good;it will be interesting how you find it works for you.A direct comparison using the same tractor and plow.Let us know.
I am in Northern NY,St.Lawrence co. and have plowed exactly one time this year.Unreal year so far,plenty of rain lately and above freezing temps.My friends in Washington State are getting "our" normal winter.