Advice on 25 hp tractor purchase

/ Advice on 25 hp tractor purchase #31  
The heavier the blades on your brush cutter the more rotating mass you will have which helps with cutting smaller trees/larger brush with a sub-compact tractor.

/ Advice on 25 hp tractor purchase #32  
Yes. Mower blade inertia is important. Light mowers have light blades. When the load stops the blades or a low stump deflects the rotating blades it is tough on the gear box. Or a blade can be deflected enough to contact and even cut the deck. I have had personal experience with the latter.

BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR
BUY ENOUGH MOWER​

Last edited:
   / Advice on 25 hp tractor purchase #33  
The Branson dealer said no issue with parts. If there was something which had a longer lead time, they would take it off a model which they have in their inventory.
Sure. So the dealer then has his limited inventory down for absent parts, so the limited tractor inventory cannot be demonstrated. When potential customers ask the sales person why equipment cannot be trialed, the sales person can answer 'because parts are not available from Branson'. Then the mechanic quits so the status of the dead tractor inventory becomes a mystery.

Do you want a Branson from this dealer?

Caveat emptor.

Last edited:
   / Advice on 25 hp tractor purchase #34  
As I have said I have a 27 hp Kubota. I use a 52 inch (on the light wide side) rough cut mower which is often call a bush hog which is a brand. I have no issue using that width in light weight bushes but heavy grass or heavy brush forget it. Must go narrow as was suggested. One thing to consider on real heavy pto load, if the tractor uses a pedal or other device to engage the pto then you can ease it into the load and not shock load the pto clutch. If it uses a simple pull or push switch with hyd engagement it will hit the pto with the full load in a shock engagement I call it.

Oh I also have a 6 foot rear finishing mower I use to use for my lawn. I have a zoysia grass which in some areas is on the thick side much like carpet grass. It will stop my tractor in mid range. I have to back off of the full 6 feet to about 4 feet. One reason I use to use it to mow our lawn.

Don't let me spend your money for you and know you want the tractor two weeks back (well I do when I want one) but price the difference in the next hp sizes. Might surprise you how little the difference is but you may have already done so.

I have bought 5 tractors in the last 25 years. On my 5th purchase I was calm enough to really take my time and get it fully right. Each of my first four served my well and still have two of them. But I bought everyone with a single need in mind and wish has thought past that single urgent type need. It has been said and I agree, decide what you want and need it for. Want and need are not always the same. Then know what implement or attachment is needed for that job. Okay what size tractor or what options does it need for that implement and the load it will be handling. There is your tractor or in my recommendation the next size is what you need.

/ Advice on 25 hp tractor purchase #35  
.... rough cut mower which is often call a bush hog which is a brand.....
brush hogs - generic name by adding one letter. Or field mower.

/ Advice on 25 hp tractor purchase #36  
It seems most recommend more hp than 25. Regarding width of brush hog. Note the 5 hp per foot width recommendation, passed on by one member. But you don't have to use the full width of the brush hog. If you're just mowing weeds in a pasture, use the whole width of what you own. If you're hogging brush 4' high with saplings an inch thick, then only use 1/2 of the width of your brush hog. With implements, heavier is better. It's almost as is you can buy by the pound.
Very true statement, but its much more than simply mowing concerns going on here. Typically a medium duty rotary weighs 420 lbs or more than a light duty cutter, and can reach 1280lbs. Throw in the required heavy duty gear box, and you have a medium duty implement thats simply not suitable for a 25hp tractor with 21HP at the PTO. And on hot summer days, that small tractor is going to overheat for sure. Kubota and JD both market light duty 48" rotary cutters for their under 26HP line of tractors for the specific reason these tractors have limited PTO horsepower. You can run a 60" light duty rotary cutter on these under 26hp tractors....but i would not encourage a medium or heavy duty cutter. Just get a bigger tractor.

/ Advice on 25 hp tractor purchase #37  
The Branson dealer said no issue with parts. If there was something which had a longer lead time, they would take it off a model which they have in their inventory. TYM owns Branson however they do not manufacture them.

TJ, I don't know how to say this right so I'll just say it outright. You need to sit down and give this whole tractor idea some more thought. Every time someone on the forum questions what you plan to do with this tractor, you come back with what sounds like an story straight from a salesman.

We've all heard these sales pitches. After all, we bought tractors too and those stories were old a generation ago. Which is about how long we have been tractoring.

Just for starters, for what you describe you want to do, you need to be looking at a larger machine. Probably twice the weight & HP. Or lower your expectations.

I'm an old timer just trying to be realistic here.
rScotty

/ Advice on 25 hp tractor purchase #38  
Rade - absolutely agree with you. Seems everyone is trying to talk him into getting more horse power than 25. In buying, if he gets the owner's manual, and reads before purchase, it will probably recommend the width of the hog, but likely won't specifically point out the weight of the hog - he'll have to deduce that from the lift capabilities of the 3 pt hitch. Lot to go wrong on a first tractor purchase.
Incidentally, I used to live in Hillsboro

/ Advice on 25 hp tractor purchase #39  
Rade - absolutely agree with you. Seems everyone is trying to talk him into getting more horse power than 25. In buying, if he gets the owner's manual, and reads before purchase, it will probably recommend the width of the hog, but likely won't specifically point out the weight of the hog - he'll have to deduce that from the lift capabilities of the 3 pt hitch. Lot to go wrong on a first tractor purchase.
Incidentally, I used to live in Hillsboro
I am in agreement 25 hp is good for weekend farmer and or hobbyist. Getting work done in larger setting requires horsepower unless you just love tractor seat time. I have two tractors 25 and 35 Hp they are for different jobs. I chose 25 hp over zero turn mower. Many people like zero turn mowers. I am not one of them after owning woods zero turn. It was rough riding unit that was fast. My back hurts just talking about it.

/ Advice on 25 hp tractor purchase
Have you looked at LS? My is 25HP and I have done a ton of work with it on my farm. 109 hours and 0 problems. Moved big cut down trees dug pits and even made a small canal for water.
I haven’t looked at any LS