Advice on a new computer

/ Advice on a new computer #72  
Are you advocating illegal office keys or purchasing them legally? :confused3:

Of course I would want it to be legit on her computer...

When it was bought a few years ago it came with a 60 day free office trial...

Now, she has a paper to write and it is asking for the license key?

Can this be bought legit off the net or is it better to pay the $89 from the microsoft pop-up?

I can start a new thread on this... just questioning the wisdom of adding software to a 3 year old computer or looking for a deal on a new computer.

/ Advice on a new computer #73  
Open Office is free and works very, very well. My oldest has been using it through 4 years of high school and 4 years of college with no problems. You can save documents in MS office compatible formats that anyone with MS office can open. You might want to look into it, as the "price" is perfect!
:thumbsup:

/ Advice on a new computer #74  
Open Office is free and works very, very well. My oldest has been using it through 4 years of high school and 4 years of college with no problems. You can save documents in MS office compatible formats that anyone with MS office can open. You might want to look into it, as the "price" is perfect!
Gotta love (GNU) open source software...be it applications or entire operating systems...it's users that resolve (any) issues and make it worthy...not commercial entities etc...:thumbsup:

/ Advice on a new computer #75  
You said you like your iPad and iPhone. Then you will be familiar with iWhaterver :laughing:. However, be prepared to cough up big $$ for Microsoft Excel if you don't already own it because new Mac OS won't run free Open Office. Also be prepared to replace all your old software, as Apple is notorious for not being backward compatible, and they have some bugs in their OS. Also, despite what people say about reliability, their hardware fails just as often as PC hardware. And their wireless keyboards/mice eat batteries and are not ergonomic for professional typists. Overall, however, they are slick machines.

I've always been partial to NeoOffice on Macs and it is available to run on Macs right up through the new Yosemite OS. Not sure how stable it is as I'm still running 10.6.8 on my 27" iMac and 10.8.5 on my MacBook Air. I didn't however know that NeoOffice was no longer free, $30 now.

Currently Open Office is only available to run up to Mavericks.

https://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php

As far as buttons on a mouse I use a Magic Trackpad with my MacBook Air, it's awesome. On my iMac I still use the Magic Mouse it came with.

/ Advice on a new computer #76  
One of the posts was not very positive on MS 365...

How does it measure up with MS Office 10 or 13?

I'm still using Office 2000 without complaints.

/ Advice on a new computer #78  
One of the posts was not very positive on MS 365...

How does it measure up with MS Office 10 or 13?

I'm still using Office 2000 without complaints.

Office 360 is MS making the move to keep you from ever owning Office. You keep giving them money, they let you use it while they steer you to their cloud. Just about the only changes left to make in the office suite are those geared to keep the money flowing in. Office 10 does about everything one would need to do and then some. You can buy a version of 360 to keep and use on only one computer but it also wants to steer you to the cloud. Won't be long before that version goes by the wayside. Unfortunately, this is now the trend. Look at Adobe and what they are doing with their programs, same thing.

Office 10 is considerably more sophisticated than Office 2000.

/ Advice on a new computer #79  
^^^ I was thinking it was a subscription thing to keep you tethered to the mothership...

Checked and my company is not eligible for the $10 employee copy... figures.

I have a window 98 machine with office 2000 that does everything I need... problem is the printer finally gave up the ghost and that is why I bought the Win 7 laptop because the new printer wouldn't work right with the 98 machine.

Still remember the day I came into work to find my XP had been changed to Win 7 pro and I had a presentation that day... boy was I not happy about that.

I understand some need all the features... maybe this is why I still drive a Model A Ford some days... still gets me from point A to point B

I appreciated the advice... I'm a computer user and not an enthusiasts... got off that after I spend a fortune on my Apple //e and soon found what I really needed was the Lisa... per Apple.

In 35 years I have had 3 computers... Apple //e, Dell with Win 98 and Acer with Win 7 home premium... no smart phones or tablets under this roof!

PS... how did you make out with the pond liner?

/ Advice on a new computer #80  
I have a nice, big, weedy hole in the ground still waiting for me to cough up that $560. :p