Advice on a New String Trimmer

/ Advice on a New String Trimmer #11  
I've got a Stihl about 10 or 12 years old, dad has an Echo that's about 13 years old. Both still rung reat and have lots of power and have been used alot.
If I were buying a new one I'd go with an Echo or Stihl, most likely a Stihl as most of my other stuff is Stihl and I'm a nutball that likes to be able to go to one shop ad get all the parts I need in one stop.

For what it's worth I have heard alot of pro lawn guys are claiming RedMaxx is the cats nuts +! I have never used one but the folks that have say they'll stick with redmaxx as long as Redmaxx is still making a trimmer, from what they say they have more power.

/ Advice on a New String Trimmer
Thanks for the advice,

Eddie, they have all been straight shaft trimmers. The reason I had 3 was that one always had a brush blade on it (Beaver Blade) and the other 2 had line in the hope that I could keep one running while the other was being repaired. The guy that repairs them for me also sells RedMax. I have never seriously considered them because I never knew anyone who had one. The guy who owns the store highly recommends them but, then again, he's trying to sell them.

I went to the JD dealer today and looked at theirs but they didn't have the XT140. They also have the full line of Stihl's, including the 4-mix. He said it wasn't a true 4-stroke. It had the 4-stroke head but still took 2-stroke gas. I'm not sure I fully understood what he was telling me or what the advantages are. He also said the JD line of engines came from Italy although he couldn't remember the name of the company. I also checked out the Husky's at TSC but they only had one on display and it was a curved shaft model which I didn't really want.

Eddie, I know the place on the Loop that your talking about. I will probably head that way on Monday. I will have to pass one Stihl dealer and I'll stop and check out Lowe's in Lindale 'cos I think they carry Echo and some others. The only other Echo dealer that I know is north of Big Sandy on the way to Gilmer.

I'm kinda surprised that nobody has mentioned Honda, especially the 4-stroke????? (edit) Sorry 4mula1, you did and I missed it but I can't find a Honda dealer close. I'll keep on looking.

Right now I'm leaning towards another Echo although I'll drop by the RedMax guy and have another chat. I'm still intrigued by the split shaft models where you can run the trimmer and change it out for a stick edger, pole saw, etc.

Keep the advice coming because I have to make a decision pretty darned soon before I have to use a scythe to cut the grass.

/ Advice on a New String Trimmer #13  
One thing about the 4 stroke is the lack of vibration.
I long ago quit using a 2 stroke because the high freq vibs would make my arms go numb after just a few minutes use. Don't know if that is common to many people but it was a big problem for me.
So I bought a 4 stroke string trimmer by Ryobi about 15 years ago- what a difference. No longer had the numbing problem.
Ryobi used to have their plant here in SC but have since moved all production to China AFAIK. I once called them about the neat little 4 stroke engine on the trimmer, which had a quick attach feature to use other items, leaf blower, hedge trimmer etc, and asked if they would consider making a small boat motor propeller attachment for, say, a canoe. I also inquired about a small generator head for charging batteries lets say. Guy I talked to said they get asked that all the time but, no, they weren't gonna. Go figure:cool:

/ Advice on a New String Trimmer #14  
I have used trimmers on a commercial basis for almost 20 years, so I will give you my opinion after having used all of them. Echo is good... Shindaiwa is good... Stihl is better, but get a Husqvarna 323L... it beats them all hands down. This trimmer is fast, powerful, and extremely light. I only run 93 octane gas and Amsoil 2 cycle mix, and never have any problems. Buy a Husky 323L and don't look back.

/ Advice on a New String Trimmer #15  
He also said the JD line of engines came from Italy although he couldn't remember the name of the company

Frank, I'm sorry JD dealer didn't have one. The chain saws are made in Italy by E-Mac. He probably got them confused beings he sell Sthil. Sthil requires you to take on alot of product so you really have to commit to them. It's tough to sell both. The trimmer are made by Mitsubishi. I know mine has a lifetime warranty on the shaft and ignition. Good Luck!

/ Advice on a New String Trimmer #16  
I use a 20 plus year old electric string trimmer. It never needs the oil changed or run out of fuel. Yeah, I gotta drag the cord around as I trim, but the only maintenance I have to do is occasionally is clean off the bottom. I don't know how far from electric your trimming is, but I just wanted to suggest electric as an alternative.

/ Advice on a New String Trimmer #17  
EastTexFrank said:
I'm in the market for a new string trimmer. I used to have 3 but I junked one at the beginning of this year. That leaves me with a 16 year old Echo and a 10 year old Stihl. To be honest, they spend more time at the shop being fixed than they do at my house working.

I'll do my own research too but I was wondering if anyone had useful advice on the market as it is today because as you can see, things have changed since I bought my last one. There are now 4-stroke models, split shaft models that come with interchangable accessories, huge honking models that could cut down full grown oaks, etc., etc.

My usual philosophy on buying tools is that if it is something that you only use once in a blue moon, get something cheap but if it's something that you are going to use a lot, get the best that you can. This is something that I will be using a lot so I'll be looking at the higher end of the price range and I'd like something that would be relatively trouble free, easy to use, easy to change line, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help. I appreciate it.

I have a Tanaka TBC-250PF. The landscapers around here use these quite a bit. Has a solid drive shaft, not one of those speedometer-cable drives. This is the third season. No problems so far.

/ Advice on a New String Trimmer #18  
I am now using a Craftsman 4 cycle trimmer, 29cc with straight shaft and gear driven end. 3 reasons I bought this. One, I had $100 in Sears gift cards to use up, and the trimmer was on sale for $159.00. So it cost me $59 less tax. Would have wanted a Honda, but figured for $59 if I used this one season and tossed it in the trash I wouldn't be too upset. It came with a 2 year warranty from Sears. I believe this uses the 4 cycle engine made by Briggs and Stratton, at least it looks like the Briggs job. Some have stated this engine is not rebuildable or repairable, which is incorrect- 100% of the parts are available for this engine and it is 100% repairable if the need arises.

Reason #2, I hate the smell of two cycle engine exhaust. I never minded mixing gas and oil, but just don't like that exhaust smell, it makes me sick. Was never so bad on Lawn Boy mowers as the exhaust exited under the deck and you didn't really smell it. But with chain saws and trimmers, that stink always seems to be in your face.

Reason #3, Too far to go to use an electric trimmer.

So far, after 6 uses, the trimmer is pretty decent. It starts up on the second or third pull, and pulls are easy on the hand. It does need more warmup time to come to full power than a two cycle before I take it off of half choke. Once going, the engine has a nice bottom end- for regular trimming I rarely have to give it much throttle, just enough to get the head spinning at moderate speed it really doesn't bog down much. It has a smooth idle, runs for about 40 minutes on a tank of gas, and is quiet in general. It will sometimes hesitate a bit when going from part throttle to full throttle, does not have the smooth throttle response of most 2 cycles. This model has a head that is supposed to be easy to rewind the line, but I have yet to get there and try it. Changing the oil on this is even easier than mixing a tank of gas and oil. It does vibrate under throttle, and gets uncomfortable after about a half an hour, which fortunatlely is about the time I finish my yard. I have not noticed any exhaust smell during use except under choke. For now, I guess I'd give this trimmer a B+.

-Fordlords-

/ Advice on a New String Trimmer #19  
Frank we have been using Redmax for three years now and so far they perform flawless. Starts good idles excellent easy to change out for more line and somewhat light and ergonomic(sp) . I do some properties that pay for some severe waste areas and they just keep going on. My next choice would be a Husqvarna 326 I think anyways good luck with your decision . Hoddykubody

/ Advice on a New String Trimmer #20  
Buy 1 that has a solid steel shaft inside ( from engine to the head) vs the cable. Cables can & will break. You"ll never have any problems with the solid steel shaft. You'll probably pay around $275- $350 for a good 1