Advice on box blade usage

/ Advice on box blade usage #11  
I think a few loads of top soil delivered to the spot would give you something to work with.
If pigs have been in that spot for a while the nitrogen content in the soil is gonna' be out of site. Grass likely will not grow, don't ask how I know this.
Can you move the pigs to another location like maybe your freezer?

/ Advice on box blade usage #12  
I use a landplane for this type of job works fast and easy to do. First picture is of a harrow I started with for smoothing and covering seed. Second pic is of the 8' landplane and third and fourth are pictures of a grade done with the fel and landplane.

/ Advice on box blade usage #13  
... and I'd still like to hear any input on how to grade the area reasonably smooth again for planting without eventually unearthing my fence line.
Sounds like you're going to have to move soil back to the fence line to build it up ....

My technique for smoothing areas - which I was given by another TBN member - is this:

Go in overlapping circles and figure 8's ..... the key is varying the pattern so that any given piece of ground is attacked from variety of angles and directions.

Start with the boxblade all the way down to fill in any obvious deep ruts or holes (and to fill the box)

Then raise it bit by bit, as the area becomes smoother, until it is just resting on the surface .... on my Kubota B2910 that between 4 and 5 on the position control lever - 4 is on the ground, 5 is just above it .... and will drop material.

BTW - how big of an area is this ?

/ Advice on box blade usage
Can you move the pigs to another location like maybe your freezer?

Already been done. Actually, these pigs are for our customers' freezers, but same difference. The place should have at least a few months rest before new pigs are on it. Depending on what feed prices do in response to the drought, we may actually sit the next season out. It'll be sad not to have piggies here, but it doesn't make sense to do it if we lose money.

BTW - how big of an area is this ?

Thanks for the advice. In answer to your question, it's not too big--about 50'x40'. You can see it in the attached photo.

8-15-2012 10-51-38 PM.png

/ Advice on box blade usage #16  
Thanks for the advice.
You're quite welcome.

In answer to your question, it's not too big--about 50'x40'.
Got it.

It's certainly do-able in that area .... just be mindful of the fence :D

You'll be limited as to your travel path in the corners and on the edges - if you need to fill there, dump it in, in 4" to 6" lifts, and then run over it with the tractor while you have the FEL on and bucket full to compact it.

After that if you can drop the FEL nearby while you are blading the area it will make it a little easier - just remember without the weight of the FEL on, the front wheels will probably lose traction pretty quickly with a full box.

Looks like we are operating similarly sized tractors - you running a 60" boxblade ?

Looks like we are operating similarly sized tractors - you running a 60" boxblade ?

Nah--72". I really wanted to thoroughly cover my tracks and be able to get up against stuff like the fence or shed. It does get a bit too full at times and I have to raise it up to get going again, but it does the job.

/ Advice on box blade usage #18  
Nah--72". I really wanted to thoroughly cover my tracks and be able to get up against stuff like the fence or shed.
Right - our tractors appear to about the same physical size - but you've got about 1000 lbs more weight than I do - which should help traction-wise.

It does get a bit too full at times and I have to raise it up to get going again, but it does the job.
Yup - same deal here with my 60" Woods ....

/ Advice on box blade usage #19  
Joshua, I would probably have a dumptruck load of top soil (or ever how many loads are needed) brought in and just spread it out over the holes. I think you would be a lot happier with the results going that route. Of course, as soon as you get it smoothed up, plant some grass right away and water it. Once it comes up, it should help prevent erosion. Good luck!

/ Advice on box blade usage #20  
Can you move the pig area to the left of its current location to the grassy area away from the fence to let them level out the new area?