Buying Advice Advice on tractor

/ Advice on tractor #1  

Daivd Galligan

Tractor
JD 820
I recently sold my JD 820 tractor (broke down) and am looking for a replacement. I used my tractor to bushhog now 4 acres (fairly flat),push snow with scraper blade, and dig occasional post holes. We have 5 small cows and feed large bales.... looking at getting tractor (leaning Kubota) with a FEL to moves the bales (push), mow with a 5 foot bush hog, clear snow, clean out the cow loafing pen etc....(a loader will be a great upgrade).... any suggestions on size and models or any leads on tractors for sale (I am in SE Pa near Kennett Square).

/ Advice on tractor #2  
Your wanting to buy used or new?

Are you wanting to lift round bales on the FEL or 3 point?

You will have to buy a Grand L Kubota or bigger to move large round bales with the FEL, your smallest tractor will prob be a 1533 Mahindra, my tractor has a lift of 1750lbs to full height, it's never struggled to pick up a large round bale but on 3 diff bales it struggled to curl them. IMG_7251.JPGIMG_7255.JPG

I have fed with 4x6 bales and my tractor (5300lbs) feels light sometimes, weight is a big thing to look for.

/ Advice on tractor

You will have to buy a Grand L Kubota or bigger to move large round bales with the FEL, your smallest tractor will prob be a 1533 Mahindra, my tractor has a lift of 1750lbs to full height, it's never struggled to pick up a large round bale but on 3 diff bales it struggled to curl them. View attachment 510472View attachment 510473

I have fed with 4x6 bales and my tractor (5300lbs) feels light sometimes, weight is a big thing to look for.[/

Thanks for the info. I have never owned a loader and we moved the bales by pushing them around. It is such an infrequent activity I am leaning to get a tractor that can handle them with a three point hitch spear (never had one). The CEO (wife) has given the Ok for even a new unit, but I don't like all the emission controls placed on the newer models---just more things to go wrong. I am torn between the lower end L series vs higher end B series (kubota)....I have not looked into the Deere series of smaller tractors.

/ Advice on tractor #4  

You will have to buy a Grand L Kubota or bigger to move large round bales with the FEL, your smallest tractor will prob be a 1533 Mahindra, my tractor has a lift of 1750lbs to full height, it's never struggled to pick up a large round bale but on 3 diff bales it struggled to curl them. View attachment 510472View attachment 510473

I have fed with 4x6 bales and my tractor (5300lbs) feels light sometimes, weight is a big thing to look for.[/

Thanks for the info. I have never owned a loader and we moved the bales by pushing them around. It is such an infrequent activity I am leaning to get a tractor that can handle them with a three point hitch spear (never had one). The CEO (wife) has given the Ok for even a new unit, but I don't like all the emission controls placed on the newer models---just more things to go wrong. I am torn between the lower end L series vs higher end B series (kubota)....I have not looked into the Deere series of smaller tractors.

A 3 point bale spear would be a heck of a lot nicer than pushing them around lol

The advantage of the loader would be the ability to stack round bales or unload a stacked trailer.

Between those two, I would jump to the L series, they make a 26hp L series that doesn't have the DPF filter.

26hp an under are exempt from tier 4 emissions, Mahindra, Kubota and JD all offer a 26hp larger frame tractor.

Just make sure the 3pt lifts around 1500lbs, more the better for round bales.