Buying Advice Advice Requested

/ Advice Requested #1  

The Gardener

Gold Member
I would certainly appreciate some opinions. We have three needs for our ongoing yard and garden projects. A B3030 might exceed our needs.

Needs:

1. 48" cut mower [some areas are complicated]. I like the riding mower. The zero-turn design is expensive. Our Sears model has been a huge disappointment. I am moving on once it breaks again. It was a poor investment.

2. backhoe [dig up lawn, remove small boulders that are lawn mower blade killers], dig holes for planting trees, etc.

3. loader [every day use]

I am hoping to stay under $400 per month.

Is the Kubota BX24 my only option? Is that within the $400 target?

If so, could I afford a Kubota riding mower and a Kubota BX24?

I am unsure if I like removing the backhoe every week to use the BX24 as a lawn mower. That could get old. I'd much rather keep the backhoe on the tractor most/all of the time.

Thanks!
The Gardener

/ Advice Requested #2  
The Gardener said:
I would certainly appreciate some opinions... I am unsure if I like removing the backhoe every week to use the BX24 as a lawn mower...

A BX22, BX23 or BX24 would be a great choice for your needs.

The BH can be removed and re-installed quickly and easily without any tools. After you have completed most of the BH work around your home, you might be able to leave the BH off the BX for much longer than you imagine.

/ Advice Requested #3  
The BX24 will everything you list and more!

I guess it depends how long you want to finance to stay under your $400/month.

48 months will do it. Just no 0%.

/ Advice Requested
Thanks you guys for your vote of confidence for the BX24. My neighbor recently purchased the BX24, and I am hoping to get a demonstration this coming weekend. I have not yet seen one in action.

If we go with the BX24 [and I see no reason not to since it is the perfect size for our modest plans], we'll need a different lawn mower solution. With my wife being as actively involved in the property effort as I am, I would rather keep the BX24 fully assembled at all times [FEL and backhoe] and pursue a second Kubota to handle the long term, lawn mowing needs.

We plan to have our less than stellar Sears riding mower repaired one more time. It has been a major disappointment in the four years we have owned it. Provided that the Sears mower can get us through this season, we can make plans to purchase a Kubota lawn mower next spring. A two machine approach would be ideal.

Might anyone have any experience with the Kubota riding lawn mowers [48" cut]? I gather they are equally well built as their tractor line.

Many Thanks!
The Gardener

/ Advice Requested #5  
I know in the BX23, you can't have the BH on if you want to use the mower at a lower cutting height. The deck on the BH prevents you from lowering it. Of course, if you are cutting your grass at the highest setting, then you are good to go! :p I don't recall, but I thought they had changed that on the BX24.
I usually store my BH in the garage. It really isn't that big a deal to get it on and off. I've seen a couple of posts where people have used some dollies under it so they can move it around. Just so you know, snowmobile dollies don't work...:rolleyes: :D

I bought my BX23 new and my payments are only about $350/mo. I got mine with the FEL, BH, 60"MMM and 48" Tiller.

/ Advice Requested #6  
vrman said:
... I usually store my BH in the garage... I've seen a couple of posts where people have used some dollies under it so they can move it around...

If your garage has a smooth/polished concrete floor, this small BH can be moved by sliding it around by hand over short distances.

/ Advice Requested
If your garage has a smooth/polished concrete floor, this small BH can be moved by sliding it around by hand over short distances.

Unfortunately, we have a dirt floor in the out building that will house the tractor. I cannot roll any type of dolly on that surface to assist with the removal of a backhoe.

I really have no intention to remove the backhoe. For us, that is the number one feature we are in need of. It'll be used a lot. The FEL will be a close second. A separate lawn mower will occupy the third spot on our *use* list.

/ Advice Requested #8  
My tractor shed has a dirt floor and I haven't had any problems installing or removing the backhoe. The only trick you have to get used to is to gently tug on the removal pins with one hand while GENTLY moving the stabilizer lever with the other. There will be a sweet spot where the pin will easily slide right in and out. My dirt isn't perfectly level and this method works great.

/ Advice Requested #9  
If you have room for a second tractor why wouldn't you just take the backhoe off and place it where you would store the second tractor. These are great machines and I would personally spend the money on a 60" mower and get the job done much quicker on a tractor you are comfortable on. It would save you some money and you will get even more use out of a versatile machine.
dano