Advice Sought: 2nd hand tractor

/ Advice Sought: 2nd hand tractor #1  

carmoda

Hi,

I have just acquired a 40acre property and i am looking at purchasing a tractor to slash and perform general farm duties. the property is mostly cleared, 30acres in over-grown state. the over grown section is steep with the occasional rock big enough to hurt a slasher blade. I don't want to spend a great deal of money and have been looking at older 2nd hand machines with low hours. currently i am looking at an Iseki TL2800F Tractor 4WD, 33hp, and a Ford 4110 4WD, 60 hp. Both tractors are sub 3000 hours. and appear in really good condition. I prefer the size of the smaller Iseki, but i am worried it may not be powerful enough to tow a slasher up our steep hill and/or be hard to get parts for (it's a grey import) having said that, i have not checked on the availability of parts for the ford either. will a 60hp be THAT much better on the slopes? i can get a lot of implements with the Iseki as well for the price of the ford alone.

/ Advice Sought: 2nd hand tractor #2  
I'm not sure, but I think that model Ford is going to be closer to 50 hp than 60 hp. If you have steep hills you will certainly be better off with a heavier, higher hp tractor. I assume by slasher you mean a bush hog type mower. I would recommend the Ford if it is in good shape.

/ Advice Sought: 2nd hand tractor #3  
I use a NH (Ford) 3930 4WD and a six foot cutter on some very steep ground. I also have additional weights on the front end and rear wheels. The 3930 is in the 45+ hp range. I would definitely go with the Ford and if the ground is very steep I would look for 4WD.

/ Advice Sought: 2nd hand tractor #4  
First off, Welcome to TBN!

Next, it depends on how much area you are going to be cutting. It sounds like you are wanting to cut 30 acres on a regular basis. If so, you need a larger machine running a larger cutter!

The Iseki will only be good with a 5' cutter. (I am assuming that you are quoting engine hp and not PTO hp as that machine is closer to 28 at the PTO, IIRC). You probably will want an 8' cutter and after cutting it a few times would REALLY want a 12' or 15' bat wing cutter. A tractor like a Ford 5000 series can run an 8' tractor or even a 12' bat. It's older than the 4110, but more hp. Oddly enough the larger tractors, in the 60-80hp range are no more expensive (used) than the smaller ones. Ranchette demand is for the smaller machines.

Look for Fords in the 5000, 6000, 7000 series.
By the way, the 4110 is 41 drawbar and 46 PTO hp.
jb

http://www.tractordata.com/td/fordnh3.html

/ Advice Sought: 2nd hand tractor #5  
I agree with everyone else, go with the Ford 5000.
Ford, as you probably know, is New Holland now and parts and service will be most likely be available somewhere near you.
The Iseki, your guess is as good as mine??
Hey, if it doesn't work out, you can always blame us.:D

/ Advice Sought: 2nd hand tractor #6  
carmoda,

Eveyone else has pretty much said it all so......definitely Ford 4110 !! You'll be much happier tractoring.

Vic

/ Advice Sought: 2nd hand tractor #7  
Go FORD!

mark

/ Advice Sought: 2nd hand tractor #8  
Unless you are a mechanic and like to pay high prices for parts never never buy a "grey market tractor". I own a Iseki TS2205 and can't find anyone in my area to work on it. Almost all the parts must come from Japan.

If my choices were only these two I would buy the Ford.

Don
Current Mahindra owner

/ Advice Sought: 2nd hand tractor #9  
DonWorrell said:
Unless you are a mechanic and like to pay high prices for parts never never buy a "grey market tractor". I own a Iseki TS2205 and can't find anyone in my area to work on it. Almost all the parts must come from Japan.

If my choices were only these two I would buy the Ford.

Don
Current Mahindra owner

I may be mistaken, but a whole bunch of Fords in the 80's were built by Iseki. I believe the smaller ones from the 1220 on up to the 1900 series tractors. I've got a good friend who has a 1900 that is...BobG in VA

/ Advice Sought: 2nd hand tractor #10  
BobG_in_VA said:
I may be mistaken, but a whole bunch of Fords in the 80's were built by Iseki. I believe the smaller ones from the 1220 on up to the 1900 series tractors. I've got a good friend who has a 1900 that is...BobG in VA
All Ford compacts from 1973-1996 were manufactured by Shibaura.