Afraid of a topic?

/ Afraid of a topic? #1  

neilly2

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L285 with V1500A engine
I tried to respond to the union/anti-union post but it didn't work, not sure why.

Someone posted that they were proud that no one engaged in the conversation. What is there to be proud of?? It seems a little ridiculous that you are afraid to discuss on a discussion board.

I'd like to step up and give my opinion on the topic. I've worked with dozens of union outfits and dozens of non-union outfits. (as subcontractors to me)

The unions started out as a positive thing and have turned into a behemoth parasite that feed off the living. I've heard all the arguments for both sides (quality, safety, steady workforce, union pride) and could tell you a zillion stories to prove my point ( and also to point out the exceptions). But it boils down to one fact that any honest union worker will tell you---unions want you to work as little as possible. Make it take longer and bring more money into the coffers.

This one principal goes against everything I believe in---a hard days work for an honest days pay.

/ Afraid of a topic? #2  
While I basically agree with you about many unions, I do think that TBN is not the place to discuss them.

The last time I checked, this is a tractor forum to discuss tractors, tractoring, and to some degree country life as they relate to tractors.

/ Afraid of a topic? #3  
neilly2,

Unless you can make a case for this to be "tractor related", it really doesn't have a place here on TBN. There have been many discussions on economics, politics, religion, censorship, etc. that have devolved into sometimes bitter arguments.

Of course, there are plenty of other topics that get raised that aren't "tractor related", but the moderators and administrators don't intend for this forum to be the home of heated discussions - unless they are tractor related. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So, that's why some people were relieved that a potentially divisive subject was treated light-heartedly.

/ Afraid of a topic?
"parasite that feeds off of the living" this is redundant, and I apologize for that.

I think I could safely argue that this is more tractor related than the "barbeque grill fabrication" or "2 kids that are terrorizing a neighborhood" discussions on this board.

Most landscapers use tractors, and when it comes time to landscape a project you quite often have to deal with union vs. non-union issues. There are not many union landscapers, and if you are running the job union, you have a problem.

As for the discussion part, there seems to be a general distaste for any dissension on this board. I'm not looking for a fight but lets air it out. People are too quick to have their feelings hurt. And, if you don't like the post don't read it or respond to it . Lack of response is the surest way to stop someone getting out of hand.

If you're scared get a dog.

/ Afraid of a topic? #5  
While I basically don't agree with you about many unions, I do think that TBN is not the place to discuss them.

The last time I checked, this is a tractor forum to discuss tractors, tractoring, and to some degree country life as they relate to tractors.

/ Afraid of a topic? #6  
OK, I'm finished.

/ Afraid of a topic?
I didn't realize that they had trade unions in Aus. Obviously, my comments can't pertain as I have no idea what the market is like or how they play a factor.

Now, I do know there are some variances in the way projects are administered in Aus. vs. the US. For example the procurement processes and some liability issues vary greatly.

/ Afraid of a topic?
BillG,

I appreciate your PM and will respond here on the board.

The thread you linked explained quite well the goal of the board and what to do with political discussion. My goal here is not political, especially not as political as that thread.

Bear in mind that I have been at this board since 1999 and have seen some of the posts that have degraded. People filling up posts with exclamation points, insults, ignorance, etc.

I do think at this point, however, we can get into some more contraversial waters without the pettiness. Airing an opinion on a topic is harmless--airing an opinion on another member is not. I firmly believe that this board is capable of handling itself in this regard. I have seen many posts that are ignored and just go away. It's an excellent control device when coupled with the moderators.

Back to the issue at hand. I believe there are a fair number of small business operators, landscapers, farmers etc. that are on this board (at least their used to be) that use their tractors in business and for which this may be applicable. I'm not just trying to justify the tractor relation thing, but I really believe this. Especially with the impact of immigrant labor and the affect of the labor cost on the small business.

These are normally political topics but have application on a day to day basis in the workforce. The latter we should be able to talk about without a meltdown.

I truly believe in a free market system, and as such the market will determine if this post will survive or die a quick death.

/ Afraid of a topic? #9  
Since I was the last one to post to it, it was probably my joking comment that got it closed.
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Maybe we should move this subject a little off base and discuss Social Security????? )</font>
The way that people have been taking my comments out of context here, I am going to change my screen name to "whipping boy". I talk propane grill tanks, and my comments are taken to include propane tanks used for fork lifts. I talk brakes on a pick up and my comment is applied to big over the road trucks. I give up...... I am out of here!!!!! The time that I spent on Leno and Letterman wasn't this bad. At least those two guys have a sense of humor.... That is more than I can say for some of the people at TBN. It used to be fun, but the fun is gone..... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif By Walter..... wherever you are.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Afraid of a topic? #10  
Junkman,

I don't believe it, a leopard never changes his spots /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gifwhat will we do for entertainment, /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifyou really should get your facts right before you post though, just like all other TBN'ers do /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif