After the Fact ( Not Aftermarket ) A/C Ford F250

/ After the Fact ( Not Aftermarket ) A/C Ford F250 #1  

tc35dforme

Platinum Member
Tractor
TC35D/16LA
Well it's worth a shot....

Been looking for a slightly used p/u truck. Found a nice F250, 2 years with low miles and well serviced. Fits the bill perfectly except no air conditioning. Can a/c be installed after the fact in a manner that is quite similar to the factory unit. Its a 2001 truck.

Any guess on $$.

Any Ideas ???

/ After the Fact ( Not Aftermarket ) A/C Ford F250 #2  
No answer for you but here's an idea...

Park the truck next to a similar year model with AC and compare. Obviously, you'll need the compressor, condensor, evaporator and lines. The biggie will be the duct work under the dash and the controls in the dash. If the duct work is there it might be a simple bolt-in but if not it'll be a major tear up. Either way, I think you are into some serious bucks just to gather all the parts necessary. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ After the Fact ( Not Aftermarket ) A/C Ford F250 #3  
I haven't kept up with the automotive world, but it used to be that vehicles coming from the factory came with a higher capacity radiator (heavy duty cooling), sometimes a different fan, etc. I think if I were you, I'd have to discuss it with a Ford dealer. I actually have no idea what the cost would be, but would be surprised if it's $1,000 or less and not at all surprised if it's $2,000 or more.

/ After the Fact ( Not Aftermarket ) A/C Ford F250
Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I can live without A/C ( we're in New England ) but the wife can't !!!

I have got to believe that in todays' world of bolt-in and modular assembly... the core stuff, fan, ducts, and wiring is ready for a/c. It doesn't seem logical that they would have two different setups...especially where the vast majority of units must include A/C.

I'll talk to a Ford parts guy and fish it out.

At the very least, I'll tell the wife no problem then ....... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ After the Fact ( Not Aftermarket ) A/C Ford F250 #5  
A buddy of mine bought a used F150 without air used and then had ford dealer install factory air. It cost him about 1200 dollars. If that will help. This was about a year ago.

/ After the Fact ( Not Aftermarket ) A/C Ford F250 #6  
One thing you used to have to consider along with everything else that's been mentioned here was your glass. Yes... your glass.

This used to be the case but I don't know if it still applies or not. Any vehicle coming out of the factory with air conditioning had tinted glass all the way around. Without factory air, it was always an option. If you don't have tinted glass your air conditioning will be terribly ineffective. I know this from experience years ago with that situation. A van conversion company brought me a unit they'd converted and to which they'd added air. It was a such a nightmare I made them buy it back.

Remember it's not only a tinted windshield you need, but tinted glass all the way around.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ After the Fact ( Not Aftermarket ) A/C Ford F250 #7  
I'm not familiar with the Ford, but back in '94 I removed the A/C from one 1990 Chevy pickup, and installed it an another. I began at 09:00 and it blew cold before supper. That includes almost an hour's travel time. I'm no mechanic or HVAC Tech, just an electrician who dabbles in interesting stuff.

The "donor" truck was wrecked, so I could take all the parts I needed. The serpentine belt ran around an idler pulley on the truck w/o A/C. If I remember right, the belt was the same, but took a slightly different route. When I mounted the compressor, it replaced the pulley. The firewall had dimples where the accumulator(?) mounted, and I simply measured the factory-A/C truck for the rest. Poked a hole in the firewall for a hose from the condensate drain. The plastic ductwork was made for the A/C evaporator coil in both trucks. Probably cheaper than making it different. Getting the plastic duct apart was the most difficult part. The bottom of the duct over the passenger's feet has a removeable bottom.

For controls, I went with a rocker switch on a vacant dash panel, and wired it in series with the low pressure switch. This switched the clutch for the compressor. Fan speed was controlled via the existing switch - truck didn't know or care if it was blowing hot ot cold.

We have "real" A/C guys at work who weren't sure how successful I'd be. I didn't pump it down, and charged it with a few cans of the now-outlawed R12. In 2000, when my new Silverado came in, the '90 was still blowing cold. The truck had 215,000 miles on it and ran like a champ for another 60,000. At that point, one cylinder showed poor compression, but the A/C still worked.....................chim

/ After the Fact ( Not Aftermarket ) A/C Ford F250
Chim,

Sometimes you miss the obvious. I never even thought of robbing parts from a wreck. I've got connections at a salvage yard and also a bunch of friends in the A/C business ( buildings ). Thats probably my option....I like it.

Thanks for whacking me with the obvious stick.

/ After the Fact ( Not Aftermarket ) A/C Ford F250 #9  
Out of curiosity, I looked back at the mileage of the two trucks I mentioned. The "donor" truck had 87,000 miles on it when it was rear-ended (that's a whole other story). The "recipient" had about 60,000 on it when the A/C was transplanted. At its retirement with 275,000 miles on the clock, that translates to 302,000 miles that the A/C lasted without any problems. Since the body was still great, someone most likely did a fix on the engine and put a bunch of miles on it since then......................chim