Aftermarket Bluetooth Radio + Speaker Install for 50$ DIY

/ Aftermarket Bluetooth Radio + Speaker Install for 50$ DIY #1  

The Gaul

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti NS6010 HST Cab
All,
Just finished installing an aftermarket radio in my new NS6010 HS Cab.
Since I had to pull all applicable info from multiple posts across the internet, I decided to consolidate the info in the hope to help others.
Overall, this is an easy DIY which results in better quality compared to a system set-up which uses the original speakers and the OEM unit selling for 200$+
Since we're dealing with a loud tractor, there cannot be any expectation of high-end audio. Installing a Kenwood Excellon deck powering Focal speakers would be a waste of money in this case. However, I have been impressed with my 50$ hack : sound is acceptable/good and I now have the luxury of listing to podcasts even above 2,000rpm engine speed.

Here we go :

This is what I bought from Amazon :
=======================

PXL_20230924_204020926.NIGHT.jpg

Both units are straight 'drop-in' and do not require any cutting in the cab's liner.

Wiring
====

Somebody was kind enough to post this diagram :
1695909050644.png

The only tricky part is understanding how to connect to the aftermarket unit.
Most aftermarket units go by the same color coding, which in this case means :
  • Constant power : Kioti red/black connects to aftermarket yellow
  • Key-on power : I joined the 2 Kioti wires which are red/white and connected them to aftermarket red
  • Ground : black on black
Speakers wiring: most head units have 4 channels (2 front, 2 rear). I wired into 'rear' and put the Fader control into 'all rear'. Initially I thought I would install an extra set of speakers up front in the cabin, but after listening to my new set-up I am pleased with what I have. OEM positioning of the speakers is perfect, it's like wearing headphones.

1695909306733.png

Some people try to connect to the OEM Kioti harness, but I just cut it and stored it. I have no intention ever purchasing an OEM Kioti radio.

Installing single DIN radio unit
===================

As far as installing the radio unit, I just cut and dremmeled the dummy face plate. Take your time and go with small steps. These bluetooth radios are really small and weigh close to nothing, so there is no need to buy any special supportive brackets, etc...
1695909604338.png

Radio inserted into bracket :

1695909653497.png

Speakers
=======

The OEM speakers are really awful quality and the 25$ Pioneers as shown above run circles around them.
The biggest challenge was actually to remove the OEM speakers since they are held in place by nuts and bolts which did not always want to cooperate to their removal.
The aftermarket speakers are a drop-in which do not require any extra cutting in the cab's liner. I would suggest to use clips and screws for their install, not the above mentioned nuts and bolts. The Pioneers come with clips and screws in the box, however, I ended up using slightly larger ones which I had left over from a previous project.
As a side note, while these speakers claim they are 150W max, all of this is obviously a hypothetical peak power and not RMS. It is key in our situation to find speakers which match the head unit, which also makes an unrealistic claim of 4x50 Watts. The good news is, whatever the peak or rms claims, this combo of head unit and speakers works. I've heard of more expensive Kickers not working since the head unit didn't have enough power to 'drive' them. Whatever solution you go with, this is something you should take into account.

1695910015145.png

That's it !

As said, this cheap hack probably far surpasses the 200$+ OEM solution.

I did this on a 2023 NS 6010 CAB, but from what I understand most Kiotis should have a similar wiring harness.
The 4" speaker solution may be applicable to other tractor brands as well (LS comes to mind).

I hope this helps somebody.

Last edited:
   / Aftermarket Bluetooth Radio + Speaker Install for 50$ DIY #2  
Thanks for the post. Have been considering an upgrade for a while now. Think I'll give this a go. Good post

/ Aftermarket Bluetooth Radio + Speaker Install for 50$ DIY #3  
Thanks for the info!
I ordered the factory system when I bought my DK4710SE. There are two things that I don't care for about that system. One is no bluetooth connection, and the other is that the power is wired to the on position of the key switch rather than the acc position.
Were you able to find power from the acc position in the roof?
The cab is too loud to hear music without cranking the radio to a painful level. I wonder if some of that is the poor quality speakers. Did you add any sound reduction material? I am considering spending money for some sound reduction material to put under the floor and on the firewall. But I am having trouble with the prices they want for that stuff! Does anyone know of low budget solutions for sound reduction material?

Thanks

Dave

/ Aftermarket Bluetooth Radio + Speaker Install for 50$ DIY
Thanks for the info!
I ordered the factory system when I bought my DK4710SE. There are two things that I don't care for about that system. One is no bluetooth connection, and the other is that the power is wired to the on position of the key switch rather than the acc position.
Were you able to find power from the acc position in the roof?
The cab is too loud to hear music without cranking the radio to a painful level. I wonder if some of that is the poor quality speakers. Did you add any sound reduction material? I am considering spending money for some sound reduction material to put under the floor and on the firewall. But I am having trouble with the prices they want for that stuff! Does anyone know of low budget solutions for sound reduction material?

Thanks

Dave
I think you have a 'speaker issue'. I don't even have to completely crank up the radio in order to have good sound quality above 2,000 rpm.
Why don't you start with swapping out the speakers ? 25$
For 30$ more you could swap out your deck and have Bluetooth. I know, you might have paid 200$ for the Kioti unit, but at this point in time this is a sunk cost. You can always put it on eBay.
Going the sound reduction material route may cost more + be more involved in yanking the liner.

/ Aftermarket Bluetooth Radio + Speaker Install for 50$ DIY #5  
Well the factory radio bought the farm.
The volume knob started losing the left side channel, but I could wiggle the knob and get it to work for a bit. Now, both channels are gone completely. So I have a good excuse to replace the radio, and everything on order, and a potential weekend without rain coming up...
I plan to remove the roof because the radio I bought doesn't have a tapped hole in the heat sink. The heat sink on the factory radio had a tapped hole to mount a rubber bumper to support the back of the radio. So I will engineer something else to support the back of the radio with the convenience of the top removed. I will post pics of whatever I create.
While I am up there and have the roof off, I can clean up a bunch of dust that got around a loose air filter. I also want to add some stainless steel wool to the ROPS columns to keep the rodents out.
Anything else I should consider while I have the top off?

/ Aftermarket Bluetooth Radio + Speaker Install for 50$ DIY
A mount for a 50 cal ? Farming has been under attack lately :)

/ Aftermarket Bluetooth Radio + Speaker Install for 50$ DIY #7  
Juat upgraded the speakers in my DK5310SE; The head unit installed by the dealer at purchase and was an upgraded aftermarket unit with 50W/channel, BT, etc.

Purchased these Kicker KSC40's with recommend power of 15-75W, big difference in overall quality, mid-range isn't the best, but still better than stock.

They fit the stock bolt pattern and stock grilles perfectly, just unscrew 4 screws, pull the old ones, connect the new, screw back into place & done. The speakers come with wires & barrel connectors if you don't have an adapter.

Stock Vs new:
20240228_144904.jpg