Ag Tires versus Industrial tires

/ Ag Tires versus Industrial tires #31  
However, you probably cannot fit wide Turf Tires in a plow furrow, so you cannot moldboard plow with turfs.

This statement depends on a few things. If you plow slow then the plow share does not leave a wide enough furrow to comfortably fit a wider turf tire into. This is true even for a 14" tire in a 14" plow furrow. If you plow at a fast enough speed to throw the dirt then you can get a 14" tire to easily fit into a 12" furrow.

/ Ag Tires versus Industrial tires #32  
A Disc Harrow is supposed to 'throw dirt'.

A Moldboard Plow is supposed to invert soil, laying it over, roots up, next to the furrow. In my experience, this happens only in a narrow, moderate, speed range.

You may move dirt moving fast but you will not be plowing.

Post a picture of your results fast plowing, please.

I learn new things on this site, regularly.

Last edited:
   / Ag Tires versus Industrial tires #33  
I have turf tires in my B7200. On this machine that would be my first choice of tires. Ironically this is the only tractor I've never gotten stuck, and it's my first choice to run through mud holes with. If I get it stuck it's easily pulled out. My bigger tractors are a more involved recovery mission. I wouldn't want turf tires on my bigger machines. R4s are much better for overall use.

/ Ag Tires versus Industrial tires #34  
A Disc Harrow is supposed to 'throw dirt'.

A Moldboard Plow is supposed to invert soil, laying it over, roots up, next to the furrow. In my experience, this happens only in a narrow, moderate, speed range.

You may move dirt moving fast but you will not be plowing.

Post a picture of your results fast plowing, please.

I learn new things on this site, regularly.

We used to plow all the time with a 4020 with 18.4's on it pulling 5 bottom 16" plow. While warming it up first thing in the morning you would plow for about half an hour at slower speeds. There was not nearly a wide enough furrow for an 18.4 at 3-4 mph but we did it anyways as the cultivator would smooth things over later. Once the tractor was warmed and plowing was at about 5.5 mph there was room in a 16" furrow for a 18.4" rear tire. If you really want to see it you can go and try it for yourself with your own plow. Try plowing at different speeds and measure the width of the furrow. You'll soon see what I mean.

/ Ag Tires versus Industrial tires #35  
We used to plow all the time with a 4020 with 18.4's on it pulling 5 bottom 16" plow. While warming it up first thing in the morning you would plow for about half an hour at slower speeds. There was not nearly a wide enough furrow for an 18.4 at 3-4 mph but we did it anyways as the cultivator would smooth things over later. Once the tractor was warmed and plowing was at about 5.5 mph there was room in a 16" furrow for a 18.4" rear tire. If you really want to see it you can go and try it for yourself with your own plow. Try plowing at different speeds and measure the width of the furrow. You'll soon see what I mean.

I used to plow 90 acres a day (LONG day) with a JD 4630 and a 6-18" plow.
Do the math,,, I had to be going fast, if I was plowing at 4 MPH, the 24 hours in a day would not have been long enough.
I did burn 11 gallons of fuel an hour,, and would run out of fuel easily before noon, if someone did not show up with fuel.
I was plowing at 6+ MPH,, furrow size was not a concern,, I was using an on-land hitch.
The plow was turning over 10" minimum,,, that was required by my BIL.
The field looked like it had been disked when plowed at that speed.
The 90 acres were double disked, and planted,, all in the same day.
We burned a LOT of fuel!!:cool2:

/ Ag Tires versus Industrial tires #36  
I used to plow 90 acres a day (LONG day) with a JD 4630 and a 6-18" plow.
Do the math,,, I had to be going fast, if I was plowing at 4 MPH, the 24 hours in a day would not have been long enough.
I did burn 11 gallons of fuel an hour,, and would run out of fuel easily before noon, if someone did not show up with fuel.
I was plowing at 6+ MPH,, furrow size was not a concern,, I was using an on-land hitch.
The plow was turning over 10" minimum,,, that was required by my BIL.
The field looked like it had been disked when plowed at that speed.
The 90 acres were double disked, and planted,, all in the same day.
We burned a LOT of fuel!!:cool2:

Yep....newer plows are higher speed plows. 7-8 or so mph
hugs, Brandi

/ Ag Tires versus Industrial tires #37  
And then there's no-til farming, altogether. :) Was watching Maryland Farm & Harvest the other day on MPT. Seems to be a growing management practice in the estuary and coastal watersheds.

/ Ag Tires versus Industrial tires #38  
And then there's no-til farming, altogether. :) Was watching Maryland Farm & Harvest the other day on MPT. Seems to be a growing management practice in the estuary and coastal watersheds.

Here 20 years ago plowing was very common. Now you hardly ever see it any more.

/ Ag Tires versus Industrial tires
This site is wonderful. Thanks for all the input. It was valuable in helping me make up my mind. All the side discussions are interesting too. I ended up changing my mind again and again over this long weekend. I just can't develop the confidence in my mind that Turf tires would work as well in slick conditions, despite claims to the contrary. I could be wrong, but I am not willing to experiment with such a big cost to change once you choose. If I were a hard core farmer I would probably go with AG tires, but I am not, so I went with the r-4's.
Next year I will be giving my own subjective opinion on this topic. Don't know what it is yet:)

/ Ag Tires versus Industrial tires #40  
I think you made the right decision with R4s. Turfs suck in mud. The only reason I've never been stuck with turfs is because I'm running huge tires on a light tractor. The ground pressure is very low and they don't sink.