Comparison Age Old Question

/ Age Old Question #11  
I like my DK40, and assuming Bobcat has a similar pricing structure to Kioti, it could be quite a bit cheaper than the competition. If you don't have any huge PTO hp needs you can get the 40hp version and save some money for the implements.

/ Age Old Question #12  
I've had alot of used Tractors in the past and made most of my purchases based on good deals and always seemed to under buy. The compact tractors are nice for the guy with tight spaces and small gates and a half ton pick up. with your acerage I would lean more tward the 55-75 hp range. I just bought a JD 5055D pleanty of power it can handle a 7' bushhog with ease paid 22,000 for it with a loader hoist 1500lb bales no prob. if your going to spend the money better of to get more than you need. Because you probably need more than you think.:confused2:

/ Age Old Question #13  
While I really like the MF 1600 series, very nice tractors, you might get what you need with a loader in the Bobcat for that kind of money. Also, the BCs are very heavy, which is great for ground engagement work.

I would think it would depend on how much of the 100 acres will be mowed. If it's a lot, then you'd want to get as much PTO power as you can afford so you can run larger mowers. 40 to 45 hp works for a 6 foot bush hog. 7 or 8 footer would require a little more. And if you do have a lot to mow, consider a used utility tractor. These will give you the hp and can be found at more reasonable prices on the used market.

Whatever brand/model, be sure to get a loader with it.

If it is and will remain mostly wooded, you might not need so much HP. Then you might get the CT235 with a loader and backhoe for close to your budget. It will do what you listed, but the loader isn't as powerful as the 40 and up group, and you shouldn't go over a 6 foot bushhog with it. But, if you plan to stay wooded, are looking to do a few food plots, move some firewood, cut a trails, and road maintenance, it'll work just fine.

/ Age Old Question #14  
So I have that age old question going on - which tractor is the right one for me? I was looking into Bobcat, Deere and Kubota because that is pretty much what is around here. I have 100 acres of wooded land. Tractor will be used for food plots, brush cutting, general landscape work mainly. Potentially adding a backhoe - maybe some day. The landscape of the land is flat to slightly rolling with only 1 decent sized hill on it.

I was thinking of something in the 35-40 HP range but I'm new to the tractor world and would appreciate anyone's input. Open to new and used but trying to keep it under the $25K mark so that might mean used is the option.
Thanks,

With 100 acres to handle, you need a big tractor - 50-60 hp (pto).

What's your 5-year plan? Do you want to start with a smaller tractor (35-40 hp), pay it off and then trade it as part of a deal for a larger tractor?

Food plots: How large are your food plots? Do you want to do conventional tilling/planting or are you planning to do no-till planting?

Field mowing: How many acres? How many acres per hour mowing speed?

Brush mowing in your woods: How many acres? How fast do you want to do this type of mowing?

Landscape work: how many acres? Large tractors can tear up a lawn if you're not careful when you mow.

I started out in 2005 with a new Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto, 4WD, hydrostatic tranny, power steering) with the LA302 FEL (4-ft wide bucket, 800 lb lift to about 7 ft height). It was fine for work around my 10 acre place (flat pasture) while my house was being built (landscaping, mowing the weeds in the hayfield, general toting work with the FEL). I paid it off and, after deciding I wanted to get 6 acres into hay production (as a hobby, not a business), I traded that 7510 as part of a deal for a new 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, gear tranny 8F/2R, power steering, triple hydraulic rear remotes)with the ML250 FEL (6-ft wide bucket, 2950 lb lift to 10.5 ft high, skid steer quick attach option). Paid $12,600 for the Kubota and about $19K for the 5525. I mow with a 6-ft Hawkline brush hog.

Good luck

/ Age Old Question #15  
HP want/need is mainly about speed. If you want to do most/all of your projects rather quickly I would recommend a 50-60HP range. If your ok with them being over the next 10 years getting done at a nice slow pace a 35HP tractor could work for you. Another main part of this is budget. If you can get a 35HP tractor now, do some small projects and then in 3-5 years upgrade to a larger tractor to do the rest.

/ Age Old Question
With 100 acres to handle, you need a big tractor - 50-60 hp (pto).

What's your 5-year plan? Do you want to start with a smaller tractor (35-40 hp), pay it off and then trade it as part of a deal for a larger tractor?

Food plots: How large are your food plots? Do you want to do conventional tilling/planting or are you planning to do no-till planting?

Field mowing: How many acres? How many acres per hour mowing speed?

Brush mowing in your woods: How many acres? How fast do you want to do this type of mowing?

Landscape work: how many acres? Large tractors can tear up a lawn if you're not careful when you mow.

I started out in 2005 with a new Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto, 4WD, hydrostatic tranny, power steering) with the LA302 FEL (4-ft wide bucket, 800 lb lift to about 7 ft height). It was fine for work around my 10 acre place (flat pasture) while my house was being built (landscaping, mowing the weeds in the hayfield, general toting work with the FEL). I paid it off and, after deciding I wanted to get 6 acres into hay production (as a hobby, not a business), I traded that 7510 as part of a deal for a new 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, gear tranny 8F/2R, power steering, triple hydraulic rear remotes)with the ML250 FEL (6-ft wide bucket, 2950 lb lift to 10.5 ft high, skid steer quick attach option). Paid $12,600 for the Kubota and about $19K for the 5525. I mow with a 6-ft Hawkline brush hog.

Good luck

Food plots will be small 1/4 to 1/2 acre but we will eventually put in quite a few, maybe around 10. This will be a process over years. We aren't looking at getting them all completed in one year.

No field mowing at all.

We do have quite a few trails to brush through the woods. Most of them are already is so its just maintaining. Initially some of it might be a little thick as its been a few years since something has been run through it.

/ Age Old Question #17  
tractor weight is also needed to be noticed! do not forget it~~good luck

/ Age Old Question #18  
I'd say the CT235 would suit you quite well, based on what you say. The advantages of this smaller machine are that it will fit through the woods more easily, and you probably could get a backhoe included within your budget.

/ Age Old Question #19  
Food plots will be small 1/4 to 1/2 acre but we will eventually put in quite a few, maybe around 10. This will be a process over years. We aren't looking at getting them all completed in one year.

No field mowing at all.

We do have quite a few trails to brush through the woods. Most of them are already is so its just maintaining. Initially some of it might be a little thick as its been a few years since something has been run through it.

How much dirt do you want to move? I think this is the biggest difference between tractor sizes in terms of utility work. I find in my soil I can dig OK with a 6' bucket on 5500lbs of tractor. If you go too small you end up with a 3500lb tractor trying to dig with a 5' bucket, with less force per foot of bucket edge. In my case it the lighter tractor probably wouldn't work well at all.
Maybe in your soil my tractor wouldn't dig well either so digging with the FEL on a CUT might not be an issue worth considering?
I found the DK40/45/50 size tractor to be a good compromise for my work in some tight spaces but still have some wieght to do some dirt work with the FEL and a boxblade, and still be reasonable money for my hobby farm.