Rake Agri-Fab Landscape Rake

/ Agri-Fab Landscape Rake
elginfarm said:
That looks like a great rake. Do they make a set of gauge wheels for it.
I have a similar rake, but it came with a set of wheels. They allow me to adjust the depth and are a real help going over unever ground.

I haven't seen guage wheels for it. I'm planning on making a set eventually. I've got a welder and I'm itching to make something tractor related with it.

/ Agri-Fab Landscape Rake #12  
Just the thing (I THINK) I need for my tractor (the one I have not received yet!). I walked some of my property today with a chainsaw and cut up some pine branches and small logs and tossed them to the side. I can get my ATV in there but I got tons more of small branches along with pine needles still attached, about 3 miles worth of trail based on my GPS and I still have not walked each trail. Heck today I found 12 60ft trees about 8in dia. forgotten about in a pile. I got plenty of firewood I got to see if they will come back and take these away! My 27 acres were just logged, 2 acres clean cut and the rest 40% thinned.

Here is a question since I have never owned a rake or a tractor for that matter yet. I got A LOT of these to pick up, easy 3-6 inches deep in most areas like a blanket about 15-20 feet wide. These trails are also have stumps from 1 to 5 inches high all over and it is not flat, lot of hills and ruts here and there. Can I actually use a rake due to the terrain and not damage the teeth with the stumps ?

SCRich said:
Can I actually use a rake due to the terrain and not damage the teeth with the stumps?

Probably not.

On another note, though...Agrifab makes a 3-point hitch trailer that you can tow behind an ATV. It uses an electric winch to raise and lower 3-point implements like my landscape rake. If you've got stuff to do and you're going to buy a rake anyway, you might look into the trailer for your ATV for the time between now and when you actually buy your tractor.

/ Agri-Fab Landscape Rake #14  
Well it's only going to be about a week till' I get the tractor. I ordered it yesterday afternoon and it should be in by Monday or Tuesday with a couple of days for prep, the dealer had an order waiting for "just a little more" before they sent a truck up from the factory.

I did see the Agri-Fab ad early this morning in an ATV magazine. The yards (2x1.5ac) have been de-stumped but I got a bunch of rock and cut up roots underneath the clay line. I think the ATV should do that well but if all have is a week to wait I think I'll just do it on the Kubota.

The idea with the stumps was 3.5 miles worth of trails with branches and such problems. The trails are nice, about 12ft wide and easy to box blade but I need to cut the stumps to ground level and then rake, can't think of any way else, too many to de-stump or grind down in a cost effective way.

If you're cutting the stumps to ground level, you should be okay. The rake tines have quite a bit of spring in them and I think they'll move out of the way. I haven't tried it with mine, yet; but I would think that a landscape rake would to a great job of dressing trails.

By the way, what tractor are you getting. If it's very big at all you might want to look at land pride or King Kutter. 4' is the biggest rake that Agri-Fab makes.

/ Agri-Fab Landscape Rake #16  
I'll be getting a Kubota 3400 which I believe is 60in give or take depending on tire offset. I will not be doing a large offset since I want the ability to get into tight corners between trees if needed and the container that I am renting for the tractor is your standard 8ft one.

I was there today for a short visit (the kid and wife are wimps! they hate the hilly walks in the branch covered trails) and measured the trails average. It seems that most of them are between 10-12 feet give or take. I was thinking a 5ft-6ft width on most implements would probably be best even though due to all the obsticles maybe the 44" stuff would not be a bad idea, more work but maybe better.

Eventually after all is fixed up graded and the stumps are safe I really would love to have some seed planted on the trails. Something tough like bahia or st. augustine but green. The main reason for all the trails were not only for logging but also as fire breaks. If I leave pure dirt then the errosion will kill most of it's use, if I leave pine needles and such it is not much of a break since the ground will be all fuel inbetwen the breaks. It's going to be a bear cutting it all but if I can grade it right the cost of a rough cut mower is not all that much to keep it trim enough for walking and the ATV.

/ Agri-Fab Landscape Rake #17  
SCRich said:
The idea with the stumps was 3.5 miles worth of trails with branches and such problems. The trails are nice, about 12ft wide and easy to box blade but I need to cut the stumps to ground level and then rake, can't think of any way else, too many to de-stump or grind down in a cost effective way.

Good luck with that. On my trails (mostly clay), the stumps I cut flush are now sticking up a couple of inches or so because when I started using the trails, the dirt packed down around the once flush stumps. They stick up enough to interfere with box blading and they can't be doing the tracks on my tracked loader any good.

John

I finally got back out to use the rake tonight so that I could get some pics and post some review.

The attached pic shows the rake attached to the tractor. You can see that it easily covers the tracks of the tractor.

Attachments

• Rake on Tractor.JPG
    Rake on Tractor.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 416
One thing to note about assembly. The bolt that attaches the mast support to the mast needs to be oriented with the nut up. Otherwise the rake won't pivot. The first picture shows this.

I pulled the bolt and turned it back right side up. The second picture shows how the rake can pivot now.

Attachments

• Rake Won't Pivot.JPG
    Rake Won't Pivot.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 245
  • Rake Fixed.JPG
    Rake Fixed.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 211
After fixing my botched assembly of the rake, I used it for a little to clear out the old hay stack place and then to smooth out the garden in preparation for planting. I've attached a picture of the garden after I went over it.

Someone here on TBN suggested going over ground with the rake turned backwards to smooth out ground. It seems to have worked fairly well.

One additional note about this rake on this tractor. It seems like I need a longer top link. I'd like to get more tilt on the rake so that I can use it better to "scoop up" loose hay, twigs, etc. This may be something I can simply fix with more weight on the rake.

Attachments

• Garden Smooth.JPG
    Garden Smooth.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 277