Agric Tiller AL Model

/ Agric Tiller AL Model #1  

ARAYT

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1700, Ford 750 TLB, Case 585
Rebuilding a tiller and need advise on setting chain tensioner. The tensioner does not have a spring, it looks like its weighted but can be locked down but not sure how its set. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Ray

/ Agric Tiller AL Model
Attached is a picture of it after chain and sprockets removed.

Attachments

• IMG_1847.jpg
    IMG_1847.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 40
   / Agric Tiller AL Model #3  
This tensioner doesn't actually tension the chain, it just takes the slack out of it on the unloaded side. Basically you push the tensioner against the chain, tighten the bolt and it's set. Unless there is a bolt on the side cover that puts some tension on it.

My tiller uses a spring, but then again, it's there just to take out the slack of the chain.

/ Agric Tiller AL Model
Thanks for the info. I may have used the incorrect term (tensioner). I felt it was there to removed slack but was unsure how to set it. I'll check and see if it has an external bolt if so I'll assume I just need to put a little pressure on the chain and tighten the keeper bolt.
Thanks Again for the help!

/ Agric Tiller AL Model
Have another question about bearings in gearbox. I need to replace them but it looks to me like they are pressed in, Its looks like one is pressed in from each end with a lip in the shaft preventing from driving them out. I need to replace them but not sure how to remove them. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks Ray

/ Agric Tiller AL Model #6  
On some brands, just check the slop of the tine rotation. If you can rotate the tines by hand more than a quarter revolution without movement of the pto driveshaft, the tensioner should be tightened until 1/4 revolution or slightly less is achieved with no movement of the pto driveshaft.

Other brands call for about 20 ft,lbs. of torque on the adjustment bolt.

Some have a spring.

/ Agric Tiller AL Model
Thanks Bigtiller, do you have any recommendations for getting the bearings out of the gearbox? Do you know if they need to be pressed out?
Thanks, Ray

/ Agric Tiller AL Model #8  
I can't help you there, I usually trade for a new tiller long before then.

/ Agric Tiller AL Model #9  
AL Manual

Attachments

• ALing.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
   / Agric Tiller AL Model
Thanks HayDr. Appreciate the manual. Got her back together a few days ago, waiting on weather to try her out again appreciate the manual.
rt