Agrisupply Slip clutch. WHICH ONE

/ Agrisupply Slip clutch. WHICH ONE #11  
If you dont have a slip clutch on your BH then you have a shear pin, which is probably just a 3/8 grade 2 bolt, one or the other or both if you like, that bolt will shear if you hit something to hard. I dont have a slip clutch on my light duty jbar BH but it has a pin. Hit some pretty hard stuff, stumps, big rocks, etc and not broken it yet.

/ Agrisupply Slip clutch. WHICH ONE
If you dont have a slip clutch on your BH then you have a shear pin,

Nope. The bolt thats in the gearbox is to just hold the PTO shaft on. It is a splined connection identical to the tractor side.

(I could turn the shaft around if I wanted) but one takes the trough bolt and the other yoke has the cross-slide type quick release.

/ Agrisupply Slip clutch. WHICH ONE #13  
I see that p. 10 of the Bush Hog info has general guidelines for clutch adjustment that's nice to see if one isn't sure of whose version they have, or if the springs' OEM compression lengths are unknown. My 60" Bush Hog has a shear bolt, but my King-Kutter tiller has a clutch. (I bookmarked the brochure to be sure I understand a clutch's tweaks and what to look for.)

LD1, if your shaft can be turned around, do we understand that it's splined at both ends then? You might have no protection, but I can imagine something accepting a male spline by slip-fitting its OD at one end with a cross bolt thru the center that would be the shear pin. I'd think a guy could bore a female spline out to do this if he had to. (got lathe?) I can't quite picture all of your pieces...

OP, I wonder if proper adjustment trumps 'brand' and one isn't just as good as the other. One thing about half-priced and seemingly throwaway stuff is that if you end up buying a second one you usually have spare parts for it already. :D

LD1, if your shaft can be turned around, do we understand that it's splined at both ends then?

That is absolutely correct. I have NO protection, other than the free-swinging blades themselves.

The gearbox shaft is 1-3/8 with 6 splines, the yoke, is 1-3/8 6/spline. The tiller AND bushhog are the same in this case.

/ Agrisupply Slip clutch. WHICH ONE #15  
I am pretty sure the shaft on my gear box is smooth and so it the pto shaft and the bolt is a shear pin??? I need to check next time at the farm, i do know they make gear boxes both ways, splined and not!!!

Heres a shot of my gearbox on the bushhog, for those still in doubt. It is clearly double splined, with no driveline protection. JUST like the tiller I am working on.

IMG_20130625_131421_758.jpg

So back to an earlier question, is this how things were originally?? How they were done back in the day?

/ Agrisupply Slip clutch. WHICH ONE #17  
... back to an earlier question, is this how things were originally?? ...
If using one of the goodies linked in the OP is the fix it looks to be, could such have been sold or acquired with no clutch provided and the buyer just expected to add the feature as his needs (or wisdom ;)) demanded? Just askin' ...

/ Agrisupply Slip clutch. WHICH ONE #18  
Looking at the Bush Hog 305/306 manual, it's supposed to have a slip clutch (http://www.bushhog.com/images/stories/documents/manuals/305-306.pdf). Maybe it's been removed at some point in its life? At any rate, I don't think I would want to operate the rotary cutter without one. I don't think I would want to operate a tiller without one either; just too many expensive parts to break when something goes horribly wrong. Both the 6' rotary cutter and the 6' tiller I bought last year came standard with a slip clutch.

/ Agrisupply Slip clutch. WHICH ONE #19  
So back to an earlier question, is this how things were originally?? How they were done back in the day?
Since it has splines on the gear box it should have a slip clutch. Buy you a slip clutch. Without any protection, there is a good chance that shafts or gears in the tractor can be damaged. At the very least the PTO shaft could be damaged. The only problem with a slip clutch is when there is a lack of maintenance.