Ags or R4's in heavy timber country

/ Ags or R4's in heavy timber country #51  
machmeter62 said:
R-4's are a poor choice for loader work, unless you are on a hard surface; they struggle in wet or soft conditiions!!

I was mostly happy with my R4's till i was playing with the huge pile of burnt garbarge and crap in my front yard. practiceing my bucket filling skills. it had rained the day before. Yard wasnt real soft but more so than when its dry out.

4wd, dif lock and i still wasnt getting far into the pile unlike when its dry out.
when its dry and/or hard out i can stall the tractor in low. not even close when it was soft. I simply chewed the top 2 in of grass off and then it was greeezy.

over all im happy with my R4's other than the fronts being a magnet for nails. :cool:

/ Ags or R4's in heavy timber country #52  
machmeter62 said:
I totally agree with Pete, if traction is an issue, R-1's are the best. I also drive across the lawn with them, but wouldn't use them for mowing. R-4's are a poor choice for loader work, unless you are on a hard surface; they struggle in wet or soft conditiions!!

Seems to me I have seen many a backhoe at construction sites with R-4's going through mud and muck so slick, nasty and deep that I would not even dare take a tractor with Ag's through

/ Ags or R4's in heavy timber country #53  
Those are not the same kind of tire. They look like CUT R4s, but are really somewhat different in terms of carcass construction, tread to void ratio, bar angle, and other critical design parameters.