Air compressor not building up full pressure

/ Air compressor not building up full pressure
Guess I'll have to send my compressor to TX. for repairs when it breaks

Just post symptoms to TBN, and we'll have you fixed up in no time. I met a friend of mine from church in the Autozone when I went after gasket material, and he also was having compressor problems. He thought it was trying to start under pressure because motor was turning over slow. He was looking for an unloader in the air tool department/section. I told him that it has been my experience that the start/run capacitor was bad. He said it did have 2 can looking things on top of the motor. Sure enough, I saw him a couple of days later, it was the run capacitor.

/ Air compressor not building up full pressure #22  
Mornin BTDT,
Good work man ! :)

Not a bad lookin compressor either , out of curiousity what did they nick you for that machine ? I have a little 30 gal Sears, but nothing robust like youve got there !

Thanks for all the pics and parts breakdown !

scott_vt said:
Mornin BTDT,
Good work man ! :)

Not a bad lookin compressor either , out of curiousity what did they nick you for that machine ? I have a little 30 gal Sears, but nothing robust like youve got there !

Thanks for all the pics and parts breakdown !
I'm thinking it was around $175.00, and that was about 5 years ago

/ Air compressor not building up full pressure #24  
I have an old craftsman oiless compressor that does the same thing. Where are the reed valves?

Mine were located between a couple of plates sandwiched between head and cylinder. Yours may be different, being oil less. See drawing

Emglo and Devilbiss Air Compressor Parts

This link will take you to a page with a side by side compressor with a drawing (better than mine), that lists some parts. Yours may be found here or similar. Some valves are round, as in this links diagram, and some are flat, rectangular, as in pics in my compressor repair posts.

Attachments

• Reed location.pdf
    17.6 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Here is another. Lists several different brands compressors, repair parts, tech help, etc. Good luck.

Thomas Rebuild Kits

/ Air compressor not building up full pressure #27  
The Craftsman compressor was probably made by DeVilbiss (at least all the ones I've looked at were). One of the reed valves actually broke on 12/24/95 on the oilless Craftsman I had, and instead of just the little reeds, as shown in the pictures, they are permanently attached to the "reed valve plate". I took that compressor to a Sears service center on 12/26/95 since it was still in warranty at the time, but their service man was on vacation, so the lady there gave me the reed valve plate and I fixed it myself. The reed valve plate would have cost $13.21 if it hadn't still been in warranty. Prices may have gone up in the last 11 plus years.:D But at least it's a simply job to fix.