Air Compressor Performance

/ Air Compressor Performance #31  
Far as I know of, no Campbell Hausfeld compressor has pressure lube, only splash and again, I only use Mobile Rarus compressor oil in my Quincy and Sulliaire and it's non detergent. I also use it in my pressure washer pump's crankcase. PW pumps all call out a non detergent oil

Well I can understand using a full synthetic in a splash style compressor, and that is what's in both of my pumps.
Especially since the manufacturer doubled the warranty to 4 years on the new 2 stage unit, but pretty sure these synthetics are non detergent.

Right , same the pressure washer pump as well.

Maybe Mobile has a 'mobile 1' that is non detergent for pumps?

/ Air Compressor Performance #32  
yes, mine is splash lube. thanks. sometimes i use mine in 40F or less occasionally, not commercial. just wondering, thx

/ Air Compressor Performance #34  
You mean Mobil I believe. The Rarus compressor oil I use is a Mobil product. I use the VG32 weight.

Yep. that is what I get for posting when tired and not proof reading. Did it twice in one sentence. SMH.
I need to get a laptop with a lighted keyboard...

Last edited:
   / Air Compressor Performance #36  
Hi. I have an IR TS5 80Gal. I checked and it does 0-170PSI shutoff in 6m59s. Its a 10yr old original setup. The motor is 5HP, Service Factor 1.15.

I saw that someone mentioned using engine oil in a compressor. I did this with no problem in single stage compressors but got a prompt surprise when I tried it in a Kellogg American 2 stage. I found the compressor locked up when it tried to start after a couple days sitting idle. Rust had formed on the wall of the second stage cylinder and the 6HP motor just hummed and then blew the breaker. I couldnt turn it by hand either. -There is always positive pressure in the 2nd stage and so the wall runs pretty dry. Moisture quickly leads to rust. Compressor oils have much better rust inhibitor additives. I never had another problem when I used a good compressor oil.

/ Air Compressor Performance #37  
I have a number of older compressors and wished I had wrote down how long they ran, to fill from empty. So I could see how well they were still doing.

Thought maybe others had the same thought at some point and numbers could be collected and shared.

One is an 80 gal with an SS5 compressor and 6hp motor, 0-130psi in 7min 16 sec.

View attachment 848315
View attachment 848312

View attachment 848313

Next is a 60 gal SS aluminum twin with a 5hp motor, 0-125psi in 5min 32 secView attachment 848314

View attachment 848311

A little 2 gal 1hp, 0-135psi in 56 seconds. Might need to adjust that regulator if that gauge is correct.

View attachment 848310

What kinds of numbers do you get?
Who would really care? As long as it is making air. If you start draining the water out of the tank and find oil in it then there is a problem

/ Air Compressor Performance
Who would really care? As long as it is making air. If you start draining the water out of the tank and find oil in it then there is a problem

I guess just me. Just a way to quantify performance/degradation there of.

Kind of like a doctor keeping records over time to track your health vs just saying, "well, your not dead yet, see you next year."

/ Air Compressor Performance #39  
Almost new TS Dewalt 60 gallon 155psi. 15-17 amp 220 motor. 0-full in between 6-7 minutes

Refills from 125-155 in a little more than a minute if I don't pull any air.

It sure us loud, though.....

/ Air Compressor Performance #40  
All quality compressors have reed valves in the heads and when they carbon up, fill times extend but you can clean them and restore the fill time back to new. Cheap compressors, I don't believe so.

Best thing I added to my Quincy was a Tsunami auto drain. It drains condensate every time the compressor cycles and eliminates manual draining. My screw compressor has an automatic drain built in. Bought my Quincy used and it will outlast me. In fact I have someone who will purchase it any time I want to sell it for a grand. Far as I'm concerned, Quincy, Saylor Beal and Sullaire are the best and most expensive to buy compressors made and of course they are all 2 stage inter cooled units (except the screw compressor). Again, I keep my static pressure at 140 psi versus 175. You don't need 175 psi for anything that I know of, so long as you have adequate CFM and I do.

Finally, a reciprocating compressor (piston) compressor makes a lot more operating heat at 175 psi than it does at 140 and heated air in the receiver causes more condensate to form.