Air Compressor Problem

/ Air Compressor Problem #1  

Temp97

Bronze Member
Everything I touch this past week has gone bad!!! Now it's my air compressor. I have a Craftsman, 30 gallon 5 HP, Oil less type. Few years old and sits in my basement and only used for my finish nail gun for the most part. 2 weeks ago worked fine. Now it only runs at what seems to be 1/2 power and then trips a circuit within!!!!! I'm beginning to think that my damp basement may have done some damage to the wires or something to that effect. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

/ Air Compressor Problem #2  
Have you pulled the plastic covers to visually inspect the motor windings or the casing of the motor ? if it rusty, chances are its time for a replacement. If it looks fine, try taking out of the basement and move to a known 20amp outlet and run it for awhile. sometimes the plugs that is exposed to damp areas can rust and cause power issues like you are experiencing.

/ Air Compressor Problem #3  
Do you still have your owners manual? I used to have what may have been the same compressor. Mine never had a motor problem, but I sure got tired of rebuilding the compressor. The good part is they are very simple to work on. It sounds as if your problem may be the motor.

/ Air Compressor Problem #4  
It could be either a motor or compressor problem. If the compressor is dragging that would put increased load on the motor, increasing amp draw which could of course cause a breaker trip.
A motor going bad would have the same symptoms.
I'm not familiar with this compressor, but if you can unhook the compressor either by removing the belt, if its a belt drive, or by what ever method is necessary, does the compressor turn freely? with perhaps a little resistance on the compression stroke? Does the motor turn freely when spun by hand?
with the compressor unhooked does the motor then power up freely?
The easiest way to do a preliminary test of the motor is with a clamp on amp meter, comparing actual amp draw at start up and running, with data on the motor name plate. that data should include maximum starting amps as well as load running amps.
The next step then would be to have a motor shop test the motor.

on a side note, several years ago, i had problems with a craftsman 60 gallon upright compressor (made by devilbliss) that kept blowing head gaskets on the pump itself. while under warranty sears replaced the gaskets several times and the valve plate once. The last time it happened i contacted devilbliss directly and they replaced the entire pump. That solution finally worked as to date, no more blown gaskets. To this day i'm convinced the heads on the pump were slightly warped but knowing how service on things like this go, service tech's generally think the consumer knows nothing.

/ Air Compressor Problem #5  
It would be my guess that this compressor, as the one I had of the same size and brand (and yes, made by DeVilbiss for Sears) is a direct driive. But you can remove the cover that conceals both motor and compressor pretty easily.

/ Air Compressor Problem #6  
Does it use a start capacitor?
That can really mess up your motor.

E/S

/ Air Compressor Problem #7  
My guess is that it has a universal type motor with brushes and the problem is a short in the rotor. It could be a bad brush and you can probably get replacement brushes from Sears. Check the brushes for damage. They should have a smooth concave surface that mates with commutator, (copper bars on the rotor that the brushes ride on). Check the commutator for scoring and burns. If it is scored up, you need to get it turned. It will be difficult to find anyone that repairs these motors anymore and you may have to buy a new one.

If the motor does not have brushes, it must have a capacitor which is probably going bad.

/ Air Compressor Problem #8  
Have you drained the tank lately?

/ Air Compressor Problem #9  
Make sure both wires are hooked up in the pressure switch. My brother in law had the same problem when he hooked his up. Had a 220V motor and he only had it one leg of the 220 hooked up right. The motor did run on 110V just like yours is.

Dan

/ Air Compressor Problem #10  
could be the brushes, or could be the capacitor.
If it ran well last time.. and now it doesn't, I would lean more to capacitor
James K0UA