Air compressor question

/ Air compressor question #1  

taem

Tractor
Jd2240,Case IH 75C,Jd2750
Just bought a used 60 gal, 5 hp compressor for my shop. PO seemed reasonable in his description of his use of the machine, but when I drained the tank, there was a good bit of rust in the water, not totally surprising but I would like to remedy this before plumbing it in. I realize that I will need to drain the tank every time I use it, but is there a way to rust proof the inside of the tank? I am considering opening the 1 1/2" bung on the side and then after running some hot air through it to dry any water, treating it with the POR degreaser followed by their rust preventing paint, allowing it to sit a good while with warm air blowing through and then returning to service. Anyone have any better ideas or any comments about unforeseen drawbacks to my plan. Yes, tractor related. It will be in my shop where tractor repair is done

/ Air compressor question #2  
Waste of time and materials. Your compressor will always produce condensation. It has to do with the dew point and pressurized air and all receivers will rust inside. The obvious solution is drain it daily and/or buy an auto drain valve. It's the lack of draining and the standing condensate inside that rust them through eventually. Keep it drained and remember, all piston compressors will aspirate a certain amount of crankcase oil (if it's not an oil less) and that will wind up in the receiver and keep the receiver from rusting inside (so long as you keep it drained that is) and will ****** any existing rust inside as well.

/ Air compressor question #3  
Something to consider is an automatic drain system so you don't have to remember the chore of doing it..... Several difference concepts out there some research may be required to find one that fits you needs... Associate has one the drains tank every time compresor shuts down (but does not bleed off all the air works similar to compressor head unloader)...

/ Air compressor question #4  
HF has a cheap one that works off the unloader line and MSC has an electric one that you can vary the purge interval and duration but it ain't cheap. I just manually drain mine as the compressor is easy to get to.

/ Air compressor question #5  
We have a hydraulic hose screwed in our drain with a valve on end of hose. Easy to get to. Barely crack it open during the day.

/ Air compressor question #6  
26 years with Speedair auto drain… so far so good.