Air compressor tank info.?

/ Air compressor tank info.? #21  
My champion compressor and tank were built in 1947 and it still dont leak. I was looking at a 5 ft aluminam tank from a distance of about 600 ft watching two men checking it for a leak. It had 5lbs of air pressure on it at the time. The end blew out of the tank and went about 200 ft. When the dust settled the two men lay dead on the ground and the tank had went about 50 ft the other direction and smashed into a brick wall. When I looked at the end that blew off it looked to me that it had a very power weld on it. I later found that this tank was a vacum tank being tested with air pressure...Larry

/ Air compressor tank info.?
Mowpacman: so far I guess you are the one with the oldest compressor. Almost as old as I am. It is amazing how many years the older compressors would last if taken care of. One of my compressors is a old Brunner dated 1956. I have used it every day and hard at times. The diaprham started leaking. It was a magnatic starting switch made in Goshen, Ind. (Penn Industries I think) Couldnt locate any parts for it. Went to Graingers and bought a new preassure switch. Looked kinda of cheap compared to the old one. I had a old tire tube, cut out a diaprham and put in in. It seems to work fine, no leaks. Put the new one on the shelf for a spare. I was talking to a man who worked for Quincey compressor and said if you have one of the old ones to treat is with care because it will last almost forever. And if a gasked of rings need replaced, no big deal. Just dont run it low on oil and burn it up. I think most of the two stage compressors cut off at 180 lbs or near there. Once or twice a year I will pop my preassure relief valve just to make sure it is working and spray a little oil on it. I had one compressor that the valve was so rusty it would never open up, so now I am a little more catuious. I guess for the amount I paid for my compressors (all used) they have cost me less to operate than any picee of equipt I have. I guess a safe thing to do would (which I havent) is to bolt them to the floor. Then if one did spring a leak, I dont think it would take off for the out house.

/ Air compressor tank info.? #23  
rhett said:
Just get a replacement that matches Voltage, Cut-In / Cut-Off PSI, fittings can always be adapted to fit.

Not needed, see response made to "Bird"

A Steel Low Pressure Vessel containing air, it will just start leaking.

A Pressure Vessel is filled with water which is not compressible, then placed in a larger water filled container (safety), then a Pressure Test is performed using test values dictated by OSHA for a vessels specifications. Water is used because the only built up back pressure will be between the Pump and Tank.

High Pressure Vessels require these inspections, some Low Pressure Vessels may require certification depending on intended contents.
I believe that the outer water vessel is mostly a convenient way of seeing how much the test tank expands as it is pressurized, and also perhaps a good coupling for ultrasonic measurements. The water in the inner vessel keeps explosive energy extemely small. The presence of an outer container is a good precaution, but water in the outer vessel would not be needed for safety.
larry

/ Air compressor tank info.? #24  
They can actually explode, very simalarly to the picture from Victoria. Usually this is because of a faulty relief valve and pressure switch. My dad had a portable compressor with a gas engine on it, and these are supposed to throttle down the engine and blow off the air when it reaches a certain pressure.

Well, one day something didn't work, and suddenly it exploded, ripping the tank open and literally turning it inside out! It flipped it upside down, and the engine was still running! Fortunately, no one was hurt, and there was no shrapnel.

It ripped open lengthwise along the bottom, because that is where it was the weakest from rusting. Personally, with most single stage compressors, where the max pressure is around 100 PSI I'm not too worried. This isn't enough to cause a major explosion and damage.

However, with a two stage unit at 180 PSI, I would have a great deal more concern, as this is enough pressure to when suddenly released to do significant damage. There have been reports of blowing the corners out of buildings, etc, when one of these units safties fails to work properly.