Air compressor troublee shoot question

/ Air compressor troublee shoot question #31  
I don't think you want to spend that kind of money to test a capacitor. Take it to a shop for a test if bad and you buy a new capacitor there shouldn't be a charge for testing.

One doesn't have to spend much money to test a capacitor. In fact, one may not have to spend any money at all if they have an ohm meter. While a capacitor tester will give you the actual capacitance, a simple ohm meter is often adequate for a simple go / no go test. As a former electronics technician, I did it this way for years. Unless a capacitor was marginal, where I would then use a capacitor tester to get a more accurate reading.

test capacitor with ohm meter - Google Search

/ Air compressor troublee shoot question
Mine cost more $ than that. I just posted the cheapest I could find for him.Unless he is going to use 1 alot.I wouldn't buy it.That's why I also advised a motor shop to have his tested.He could probably buy several caps. for the cost of the tester

Thanks! You got my implication in my prior post correct.
i guess i should have been a little clearer on that post.

/ Air compressor troublee shoot question #33  
If you're testing it yourself using the link posted by MasseyWV and find your cap bad here's a link to a new one.

DAYTON StartCapacitor, 124-149 MFD, 330 VAC, Round - Capacitors - 2MEL9|2MEL9 - Grainger Industrial Supply

As stated before the voltage reading of 330 VAC on this cap is the max rating of the cap not the voltage the motor runs on.

Also before testing make sure you touch the two leads on the cap together to discharge any voltage that may be built up in the cap. If voltage is present poof there goes your meter or at least the fuse protecting the meter.

If you buy another cap and the leads are a different configuration just splice the wires as needed. It don't matter which of the two wires goes to which on the cap there's no ,+ or - , or any polarity on this type cap. Either wire you remove from the old cap will just tap back onto either terminal of the new.

If by any chance there's 3 leads on the old cap you have a dual cap. That means it's two caps in one. One for start and one for run. If it has two leads you can do as I mentioned above. If it has 3 leads it will matter where the leads hook up and the cap I refered to won't work.

/ Air compressor troublee shoot question #34  
One doesn't have to spend much money to test a capacitor. In fact, one may not have to spend any money at all if they have an ohm meter. While a capacitor tester will give you the actual capacitance, a simple ohm meter is often adequate for a simple go / no go test. As a former electronics technician, I did it this way for years. Unless a capacitor was marginal, where I would then use a capacitor tester to get a more accurate reading.

test capacitor with ohm meter - Google Search

B-4 meters came out.I use to test caps. with my tongue like testing 9v batteries :laughing:

/ Air compressor troublee shoot question #35  
B-4 meters came out.I use to test caps. with my tongue like testing 9v batteries :laughing:

Try that on a high voltage, high capacitance capacitor like those used on electric motors and let us know how it works out. :D

/ Air compressor troublee shoot question #36  
Try that on a high voltage, high capacitance capacitor like those used on electric motors and let us know how it works out. :D

Guess that's why I have no taste buds.Testing too many HVAC caps. like this :D

Disclaimer:
Seriously, no one should actually try this at home.

/ Air compressor troublee shoot question #37  
Guess that's why I have no taste buds.Testing too many HVAC caps. like this :D

Disclaimer:
Seriously, no one should actually try this at home.

I just hope nobody takes us seriously and decides to try it. Oh well, it will suck to be them if they do. :laughing: