Air Compressor Water Drain??

/ Air Compressor Water Drain?? #11  
I took the little spigot off and checked size and when to my local lowes and got an elbow, pipe, and ball valve with a garden hose adapter. I used a old scrap garden hose to route the hose outside so when I turn it on, I dont get any water all over inside.

/ Air Compressor Water Drain?? #12  
How much water you make depends on what kind of compressor you have, how you use it, and what conditions you use it under.

If you live where it's humid, and your compressor runs enough to get pretty hot all the time, your going to make water lots of water.

The best option is an electric solenoid operated, automatic drain like this: Electronic Air Compressor Tank Drain - TP Tools & Equipment.

You can set the amount of time it will be open, and how often, for you individual situation, and then worry about something else.

There are lots of different versions.

I drilled a hole in the concrete and stuck the drain hose in. That way, the mess ends up under the floor.

These valves are not cheap, but neither is a new tank. And they don't make tanks that last anymore.

A cheap box fan blowing air on the compressor, also helps to keep water production down.

/ Air Compressor Water Drain?? #13  
I have a automatic drain on my Quincy. When the compressor kicks out, some air shoots out the drain, taking moisture with it

/ Air Compressor Water Drain?? #14  
A cheap box fan blowing air on the compressor, also helps to keep water production down.

I fail to see how a fan blowing on the compressor will change the amount of condensed water vapor ends up in the compressor tank.

/ Air Compressor Water Drain?? #15  
I fail to see how a fan blowing on the compressor will change the amount of condensed water vapor ends up in the compressor tank.

The fan helps keep the pump cool, if the pump stays cool, it doesn't heat the air as much.

In order for air to condense water, it must be cooled. If the air does not get real hot in the first place, it won't cool, or cool as much, when it gets to the tank. If it doesn't cool, it doesn't condense.

/ Air Compressor Water Drain?? #16  
The fan helps keep the pump cool, if the pump stays cool, it doesn't heat the air as much.

In order for air to condense water, it must be cooled. If the air does not get real hot in the first place, it won't cool, or cool as much, when it gets to the tank. If it doesn't cool, it doesn't condense.

I'll take your word for that, but if the water doesn't condense out of the air in the compressor's tank, does that mean the moisture is still suspended in the compressed air, and you get more moisture through your air hose and into your power tools?

/ Air Compressor Water Drain?? #17  

I don't think so. How hot the air gets in the pump doesn't matter. What matters is the ambient temperature, the amount of moisture in the air, and the pressure in the tank. Air can hold less moisture at 100 psi than it can at atmospheric pressure. Air can hold more moisture at 150 degrees than it can at 90 degrees and even less at 70 degrees. When the air in the tank cools, the excess moisture will condense out.

/ Air Compressor Water Drain?? #18  
When the air in the tank cools, the excess moisture will condense out.

So, you see that the air has to cool to condense, but you don't see the benefit of not heating it in the first place. :confused3:

I had a entire career working in a shop, to find out what worked, and what didn't here. If you don't agree, don't put a fan on your compressor, I don't care.

/ Air Compressor Water Drain?? #19  
Regardless of how the temperature affects the air/water ratio, when water accumulates in the bottom of the tank it needs to be drained.

Like others, we added a galvanized 90 at the bottom of the tank and ran the drain outside. We dump the water outside instead of inside. When you live in Florida, you get water in the tank every time you use the compressor. If you use your compressor everyday, drain it every day. If you only use it occasionally, still drain it after each day's use.

/ Air Compressor Water Drain?? #20  
Will try the fan suggestion.

When using my shop air for cabinet blasting I get plenty of water production. I will often go drain the tank between cycles and also drain the dessicant air dryer.

Yet still get clogging issues with the sand after a while.