air conditioner/heater overhaul

/ air conditioner/heater overhaul #1  

tglass

Platinum Member
Tractor
3320 w/cab
Tired of having my ac/heating unit worked on at least twice a year and believe it's time to put the whole unit including duct work in new. How about some info on what you believe would be the most efficiant. Am using all electric at this time, no natural gas lines or propane. Electric seems to be the cheapest way to go for me figuring my age to recover the cost. I've heard quite a bit about heat pumps around Dallas and also heard recovery cost is quite a while and alot of people that forget about it and turn on the aux. power to heat their home. Been using pellet stove in the winter, but if I am going to replace the air, heat etc. I'de like to hear other input.

/ air conditioner/heater overhaul #2  
Heat pumps are pretty standard here in western wa on all new construction. We converted from electric forced air to a heat pump a few years ago and it cut our heating bills in half. We only use the cooling part of the system a couple of days a year, and mostly just open the windows on a hot day. I believe that the regular electric heat comes on when outside temps drop into the low 30's when the pump can no longer pull any heat from the air. I think mine has paid for itself by now or will soon.

/ air conditioner/heater overhaul #3  
Pete... noticed you are having real summer weather... has the A/C kicked on this year?

/ air conditioner/heater overhaul #5  
Going with a heat pump instead of a central air unit shouldn't cost a whole lot more. When the central air on our NC rental property died a few years ago we replaced it with a high efficiency heat pump at only a moderate premium on the equipment cost. The renters got a real break on heating costs since the previous central heat was resistance electric!

In early 2010 we replaced both the furnace (LP) and central air unit on the 16 year old, 2700 sqft house we bought here in Roxboro NC with a high efficiency heat pump & high efficiency LP furnace. This past heating season required only about 150 gallons of LP, compared to the 450+ gallons used in the previous season. It would have been less, but the thermostat secondary heat trigger point was initially set around 30 F. I reset it to 20 F part way through the heating season and the heat pump handles that with no problem. For us, electrical use costs for heat & cooling are roughly equivalent, with winter & summer peaks being about the same.

My personal feelings are that a heat pump with LP backup is one of the most cost effective & trouble free combos (assuming Natural Gas is not available) a southern homeowner can put together. A secondary heat source other than resistance electric (like LP), is a good idea & should pay for itself in short order in terms of savings over the cost of resistance electric if you regularly have temps below 20 F.

Nick

/ air conditioner/heater overhaul #6  
Going with a heat pump instead of a central air unit shouldn't cost a whole lot more. When the central air on our NC rental property died a few years ago we replaced it with a high efficiency heat pump at only a moderate premium on the equipment cost. The renters got a real break on heating costs since the previous central heat was resistance electric!

In early 2010 we replaced both the furnace (LP) and central air unit on the 16 year old, 2700 sqft house we bought here in Roxboro NC with a high efficiency heat pump & high efficiency LP furnace. This past heating season required only about 150 gallons of LP, compared to the 450+ gallons used in the previous season. It would have been less, but the thermostat secondary heat trigger point was initially set around 30 F. I reset it to 20 F part way through the heating season and the heat pump handles that with no problem. For us, electrical use costs for heat & cooling are roughly equivalent, with winter & summer peaks being about the same.

My personal feelings are that a heat pump with LP backup is one of the most cost effective & trouble free combos (assuming Natural Gas is not available) a southern homeowner can put together. A secondary heat source other than resistance electric (like LP), is a good idea & should pay for itself in short order in terms of savings over the cost of resistance electric if you regularly have temps below 20 F.

Nick

Id say the same thing on days below 30F if you have poor insulation like me its hard for the heat to catch up and the strips come on. This is when gas back up would be better. And heat better. I use about 4-10 hours of AC a day there is no opeing windows around here!

Id personally go heat pump as well and use your Heatpump or pellets in winter.