Air conditioner woes

/ Air conditioner woes #1  

Raul-02

Veteran Member
the armpit of the entire universe New Jersey
Tractor
kioti DK4710 SE HST CAB
So I called the people who installed them.

My system is over 15 years old. Someone at the home office must have a mandate after 15 years "We gotta Sell 'em a New one~!!"

They sent a tech and a salesman. The tech diagnosed the problem; a Bad cooling tower fan motor.

It had seized. I told 'em after much wrangling that I only wanted to replace the bad motor.

They wanted $1600 for the fan and demanded that they inspect the air handler in the cellar. After peering at it for 30 minutes, they convinced each other that it must be leaking.

Mind you they didn’t take all the cover screws off. They ledt two along the bottom of the panel so they could peep in like there were pit vipers inside (they really did that so I couldn’t see).

So now the cost jumped to 10 Grand.

BUT they were going to save me. YAAAYYYY~!!!!!

They wanted to replace the whole Magilla and it'll only cost me 18 Grand. But it got better because I could rent to own and pay almost $300 a month for ten years.

30-Thousand dollars was what they hoped to wring from me.

THAT WAS THE PLAN BEFORE THEY GOT IN THEIR CARS.

So I ordered an $86 OEM fan on Amazon.

It came today I installed it wired it up and NO JOY~!!!

So I shall replace the capacitor. I ordered one. They say Monday it’ll come.

/ Air conditioner woes #2  
The condenser fan motor on my almost 30 year old Amana system siezed up early this summer. Called the local HVAC guy at 9:00AM, said he couldn't make it until 10:30 or so. Got here right on time, took a look at it and had his trainee start removing it. They got it out, and he had one on his truck, pretty old from the looks of the box, but new. Got it installed, checked the pressures and the AC was back on by noon.
Total cost $359.00.
Of course then,I don't live in NJ.

/ Air conditioner woes #3  
I just replace my condenser fan and capacitor also. Amazon $175, luckily I had heard it squeal on startup a few days before it went out completely so I ordered one and replaced it when the new one arrived.

/ Air conditioner woes #5  
I just replace my condenser fan and capacitor also. Amazon $175, luckily I had heard it squeal on startup a few days before it went out completely so I ordered one and replaced it when the new one arrived.
squealed? I'd a thought that had something to do with the belt. Good to know.

/ Air conditioner woes #6  
Was the tech. correct ?
Do you even have power to the fan cap. /motor ?

I have always installed a new cap with a new motor.
Is that the problem ? maybe, maybe not

Last edited:
   / Air conditioner woes #7  
Condenser Fan Motor went out in ten year old unit...

I'm 800 miles away and tenant not happy.

Call the company that did the original install and when all said and done $1400... ouch is all I could say as I replace them at work and even the larger ones run a couple hundred...

/ Air conditioner woes
Was the tech. correct ?
Do you even have power to the fan cap. /motor ?

I have always installed a new cap with a new motor.
Is that the problem ? maybe, maybe not
the fan was definitely seized. It didn't spin easily
They did get the compressor to grunt a bit I heard it run for a little bit. But it stopped the moment I reappeared. I don't think they wanted me to hear it. But that made me think I could keep the Capacitor, but maybe they had a cheater in hand.
Anyway, I have one ordered.

/ Air conditioner woes #9  
I get all my furnace and home ac parts from Appliance Repair Clinic, pretty local for me but they do Internet sales and have a huge website. Had to replaced the circulating fan on the rental Bryant condenser (locked up like yours) and picked it up at the Appliance repair Clinic place in Wixom, Michigan but I forgot to get the start cap so they sent me one via Fed Ex no charge. Nice folks to deal with and like I said, they have a large internet presence too. When they are on the way out, they do squeak and that tells you it's time to replace.

/ Air conditioner woes #10  
It’s direct drive. The squeal was the bushings on startup. Electric motors are amazing sometimes if their under a light load and never stop they can run for years with bad bushings/bearings they interally levitate like a magnetic train. But will not restart once stop.