Air cooled generator operating temperature in Sub-Zero weather.

/ Air cooled generator operating temperature in Sub-Zero weather. #11  
I have an air cooled Honda Generator I have put close to 3500 hours on. Many of those hours were below freezing and I know around 100 of them were right a zero or below. No issues.

/ Air cooled generator operating temperature in Sub-Zero weather. #12  
Being air cooled you do run the risk of it not coming to proper temp and more likely having wet stacking issues.
A simple improvement might be to fabricate a simple removable sheet metal part(s) to block/restrict some of the crankshaft fan's air during cold weather.

/ Air cooled generator operating temperature in Sub-Zero weather. #13  
I wonder if there is a "cold weather kit" from the manufacturer. Talk to them as suggested.

/ Air cooled generator operating temperature in Sub-Zero weather. #14  
I picked up a new 6500 watt Honda portable last fall and built a shelter for it. I had to use it for the first time New Year's Eve and for days beyond that. Put twenty hours on it in record cold temps the first few days and it worked perfectly. Easy on fuel, smooth running too. I do have a cooling fan on it but considering how cold the ambient air temp was I turned the fan off.

Here's the link to it.

Custom built Generator Shelter

/ Air cooled generator operating temperature in Sub-Zero weather. #15  
My Generac 15kw unit has run in 15 below for many hours. It is in a enclosure, but the fan is on all the time, it is a air cooled unit. Propane also, if that means anything.

/ Air cooled generator operating temperature in Sub-Zero weather. #16  
Air cooled engines are designed to operate & survive in temperatures exceeding 100 deg F.
My question pertains to extended generator operation in sub-zero temperatures.
Air cooled engines would never get close to operating temperature, particularly air cooled diesels like Yanmar that are designed with large fans to ensure proper operation in high temperature environments.
Diesels generate less heat than gasoline engines particularly when operating at low loads and this could be an issue when relying on a generator in subzero conditions for extended periods.
I ask this question because I just purchased a new L70 Yanmar for my generator that has an extended capacity sump of 3 quarts with a bypass filter installed.
During the initial runs to verify operation and break it in I loaded it to 75% (3kw) and ran it for a couple hours (60 degree ambient) and the block/sump never came close to being hot enough to where you couldn't hold your hand on it.
I'm not concerned about my gasoline generators but this Yanmar is a premium unit that I'm looking to protect from adverse operating conditions. It is an open unit (not enclosed).
I'm thinking an insulated enclosure (for noise and temperature control) that has a thermostatically controlled cooling fan to allow the interior to warm up to an acceptable temperature of 70 to 90 degrees.
This engine is equipped with a low oil pressure shut down system and I could easily add an oil & air over temperature shutdown also.
Any input??

90cummins
Howdy,
I would suggest you follow thru with your enclosure. I would also suggest that you add anti-gelling additive to your diesel fuel during your cold snap times. Last thing you want is waxing (clouding) because being so cold.

/ Air cooled generator operating temperature in Sub-Zero weather. #17  
An enclosure with temp controlled inlet vent and out flap exhaust vents.:D

Notice the radiator louvers on larger equipment?:thumbsup: