Air fryer Prime Rib

/ Air fryer Prime Rib #1  

Luvmyhindra

Tractor
E-Max 22 HST
So I usually use my smoker for prime rib but wanted to watch the (so called) Super Bowl. So decided to to try it in the air fryer. Turned out great!

Attachments

• 20190203_160559.jpg
    20190203_160559.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 206
  • 20190203_174722.jpg
    20190203_174722.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 198
  • 20190203_174910.jpg
    20190203_174910.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 220
   / Air fryer Prime Rib #2  
It certainly looks great!

/ Air fryer Prime Rib #3  
Curiously, what's the consensus on air fryers? Useful kitchen tool or fad gadget that'll end up in a yard sale a year from now?

I'm inclined toward the latter. A friend of my wife's gave us one that she'd bought but never used. I've tried it a couple times, once to make chicken another to do "french fries". Both took as long to cook in this as they would have if I'd just baked them in the oven. I was hoping the fries would taste like restaurant fries, but they really didn't...more like baked potato strips.
So far I'm not impressed.

/ Air fryer Prime Rib
Wow! We use ours all the time, just about every meal there is something in it. I have done fries and onion rings and come out great. 10-12 mins from freezer to table. Taste like they were deep fried. I also do a lot of hard boiled eggs in it. Set it for 10 mins at 300 and walk away. Let them cool just sitting in the air fryer. They peel easily!

/ Air fryer Prime Rib #5  
How is an air fryer different from a toaster oven?

/ Air fryer Prime Rib #6  
My wife was skeptical when I talked about getting one, but we use our air fryer several times a week. It is great for fries, onion rings, corn dogs, tater tots with no oil added at all. It will reheat pizza and make it as good or better than the day before!
The crispiness is what sets it apart from the oven/toaster oven/microwave.
Travis

/ Air fryer Prime Rib
It will reheat pizza and make it as good or better than the day before!
The crispiness is what sets it apart from the oven/toaster oven/microwave.
Travis
OMG Yes!!! we do that a lot. go to our favorite pizza place and have a couple Long Islands and order a large pizza! Take over half home and use the air fryer! Fantastic! Toaster oven is just a miniature oven. Air fryer uses more cyclonic heated air. Kind of like a convection oven but not quite. We save a lot of energy using our air fryers. We have 3. My kids all have one now and so do my wife's and my parents! They absolutely love it. The insta pot is a sweet deal too! Still love my pellet grill smoker and my smoking gun! I smoke nuts, cheese and have even infused Bloody Mary's and different liquors. You need to check out a smoking gun! I have all the different flavors of wood for that! Alright I'm done. I get carried away talking about food. I love to cook and do different things!

/ Air fryer Prime Rib #8  
How long did that prime rib take to cook?

/ Air fryer Prime Rib #9  
So I usually use my smoker for prime rib but wanted to watch the (so called) Super Bowl. So decided to to try it in the air fryer. Turned out great!

how long to cook and what did you use for a rub? looks good, have to give it a try this weekend

/ Air fryer Prime Rib #10  
Curiously, what's the consensus on air fryers? Useful kitchen tool or fad gadget that'll end up in a yard sale a year from now?

I'm inclined toward the latter. A friend of my wife's gave us one that she'd bought but never used. I've tried it a couple times, once to make chicken another to do "french fries". Both took as long to cook in this as they would have if I'd just baked them in the oven. I was hoping the fries would taste like restaurant fries, but they really didn't...more like baked potato strips.
So far I'm not impressed.
Wife got an Airwise Fryer (5.8 qt) a few weeks ago. So far she used it for heating store bought frozen fries, premade chicken tenders - both came out slightly above the quality of microwave. I've used it to try and make sweet potato chips (fail) and chicken breast (ok).
It takes up a lot of space, does not fit in any of our cabinets and is heavy for her to move.
I'm trying to keep my diet low in red meat, low in chicken and have found cooking a pot of vegetable stews, beans etc. in a large slow cooker does very well. I then put the results in zip-loc 1l containers (usually 4 to 6) and am good for a week or two.
I tried to talk my wife into getting an Instant Pot but she's scared of pressure cookers.
To me it's about as useful as a cement mixer. Big tool, takes up a lot of space, rarely used. Can often do the same thing other ways.