Air Rifle Question

/ Air Rifle Question
I know it might seem like a hassle, but you would be far better off getting your firearms certificate and a 22 rifle.

So come on, pull your finger out and get cracking on that paperwork :thumbsup:

It is a nice idea - except I have neighbours within a quarter of a mile and in my line of fire - a big no-no - although a FAC would allow me to tweak an air rifle like the HW80.

Just called Police - they have no issues with uprating air rifles (provided I get the FAC first) - so that may be the way to go - and the HW80 rather than the HW90 - and from others comments long barrel and no silencer.

J

/ Air Rifle Question #12  
Just called Police - they have no issues with uprating air rifles (provided I get the FAC first)

Sounds like a solution to the problem.:D

/ Air Rifle Question #13  
This threat is actually very depressing, I feel for good old England.

/ Air Rifle Question
This threat is actually very depressing, I feel for good old England.

Sometimes I do too - sadly I cannot leave very easily, though it frequently goes through my mind.

I am not sure where the airgun laws came from, but the other firearms restrictions on semi-automatics and pistols came in response to a couple of shooting incidents in Hungerford in the 1980s and Dunblane in the 1990s. Sadly, there was a third case in Cumbria last week that may bring further restrictions. And all this is not something, for once, that I can blame on EU.

J

/ Air Rifle Question #15  
With a spring or piston based rifle, you only need about 13" barrel length to obtain max velocity. The rest may actually contribute drag to slow it down.

The longer barrels are great for iron sights, because they create the longer radius between front and rear. If you're using optics, no advantage there.

Longer barrel makes the break barrel guns easier to cock, contributing leverage. Finally there is the issue of balance and feel, which can affect accuracy of the shooter... some like the more muzzle heavy feel. If you carry all day in woods or field, the lower weight of the carbine is nice.

I think Weihrauch is pretty much top drawer, along with FWB. The RWS-Diana guns are very nice. I think most can be de-tuned to FAC limits for the UK.

The CZ is a very nice suggestion, overlooked and hard to get in the States. Another excellent value in a similar vein is Cometa, from Spain. I know theirs are available with 12 fpe springs for the UK. They have nothing in common with the Gamo line, and have been a quality bargain for years (formerly private labeled by RWS). Excellent barrels and triggers, like the CZs.

Finally, while we can feel for shooting UK brothers limited to 12fpe for general use, we can only envy their attitude on silencers. They are free and easy and generally available, where in the USA they are on the dark side of the gray area (unless built into the barrel assembly and non-removable from airguns).

/ Air Rifle Question #16  
Finally, while we can feel for shooting UK brothers limited to 12fpe for general use, we can only envy their attitude on silencers. They are free and easy and generally available, where in the USA they are on the dark side of the gray area (unless built into the barrel assembly and non-removable from airguns).

I was surprised that there are noise silencers for air rifles. My RWS is kinda loud but I have always thought the noise was from the spring not the pellet. Not that the rifle is that loud, it certainly is quite compared to a .22 LR, but it is louder than I expected. And it does take some strength to cock the rifle. It is pretty accurate too.

Later,
Dan

/ Air Rifle Question #17  
Yesterday, after I got home from work, my wife told me to look out the kitchen window into part of her garden where the bird feeders were stationed underneath a nice sized dogwood tree.

There on a branch next to the main feeder was a male Mockingbird. As long as I have lived out on our property, I have never seen a Mockingbird out here. Plenty in the city but none out in the rural area where we are.

Anyway, surprise surprise - she asks me to shoot and kill it? Something else I think I've never heard before????

Anyways, I took out the RWS 34 with a Redfield 3-9X 40mm scope, put a RWS sharp point hunting pellet in the barrel and aimed at the Mockingbird from approximately 45-50 feet from a standing position.

One shot to the breast front on -> One dead Mockingbird -> lots of finches and cardinals all over the bird feeder! :D

I used to practice shooting 325mg Bayer aspirins off a 2X4 at 25 feet with this pellet rifle, it makes a nice white cloud out of the aspirin.

/ Air Rifle Question #18  
Some of the new Crosmans have integrated, non-removable shrouds that quiet the report significantly. If you wrote off Crosman a long time ago, look again- they are really stepping up in the last year or two. They will be too expensive for UK readers after tariffs, though.

The Marauder is a pre-charged pneumatic (PCP) airgun (you fill from a scuba tank, or pump it up the hard way) with an integrated shroud that is HIGHLY effective.

Crosman owns Benjamin and the Remington names, and their new NPSS nitro piston guns also come with integrated shrouds, suppressors, whatever you want to call 'em. The Benjis are made in China, Marauder and the Remingtons here in USA.

Cometa offers factory suppressors to the UK market. I don't know if they're available here.

There are other sources for aftermarket shrouds for RWS and similar guns but that goes to the gray area. Few, if any, would be effective on firearms, but "the law is an ***" in this regard.

/ Air Rifle Question #20  
Yeah, I have an RWS34 Phantom (black synth stock) that is an amazing squirrel hunter. The '34 is one of the best values in Euro airguns, certainly German ones.