All day making little boards out of big boards

/ All day making little boards out of big boards #1  

Cliff_Johns

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 4110
It took me all day of machining to make 40 boards which will eventually be just ten drawers.

Now you might think that all day to make 40 boards is a lot, and you'd be right, but they are all flat, 6-square, the same thickness, and the correct length. Tomorrow the dovetails. Man, 40 boards means 80 board ends to dovetail.

That's what vacation is all about, don't you think?

Cliff

/ All day making little boards out of big boards #2  
Cliff i would love to see pics of how you put them dovetails on them drawers.I have never done that,mine have been elcheapo square corned screwed togeather.
ALAN

/ All day making little boards out of big boards #3  
Sounds impressive Cliff, where are the pics to accompany? What kind of dovetail jig are you using? ... or are you a handcut purist?!?

/ All day making little boards out of big boards
RobS said:
Sounds impressive Cliff, where are the pics to accompany? What kind of dovetail jig are you using? ... or are you a handcut purist?!?

If I only have a few, or if I'm doing real furniture, I hand cut them, but this is for build-ins so I'm using the leigh jig. I don't really like router-cut dovetails, but the Leigh is adjustable so they look a bit better and more custom.

I will take some photos if I take a break at an opportune moment.
Cliff

/ All day making little boards out of big boards #5  
Making duplicate boards takes time.:D

I have yet to assemble my first dovetail but really do not look forward to the original one. The rest should come a little easier. :mad:

Hand cutting takes skills that may jusy elude me!:confused:

/ All day making little boards out of big boards #6  
I have made a few router cut dovetails but not with a jig as versatle as the Leigh. You really have to keep your mind on what you are doing to be sure you cut on the proper edge and side.

I just got a new router, Portet-Cable 693LRD. A 690 motor with fixed, d-handle, and plunge bases. Grizzly Industrial -- Home has a very good price on it right now. Had to replace two routers that were more than 40 years old. Ready for another project now.

Vernon

/ All day making little boards out of big boards #7  
I'm with the others, lets see some pictures.

I've never done dovetails either and would love to see how you do them by hand. I usualy make mine with rabbit joins and daddo in the bottom. I like to make the drawer faces really nice, and I do them after the box is done. Then I attach it to the drawer box to fine tune how it fits.

Thanks,
Eddie

OK, I finished the tails for the dovetails today.

Here is a photo of them all stacked up.

A detail photo of the tails on one of the boards.

And a photo of the tail section in the Leigh Jig with a backer board to reduce tearout.

Cliff

Attachments

• tails1.JPG
    tails1.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 430
  • tails2.JPG
    tails2.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 376
  • Leigh_jig.JPG
    Leigh_jig.JPG
    569.4 KB · Views: 401
I forgot to say that I tailed both ends of these boards. I will dovetail the backs in the same way that I dovetail the fronts.

I'll post some more photos when I have the pins done.

Cliff

/ All day making little boards out of big boards #10  
Cliff_Johns said:
OK, I finished the tails for the dovetails today.

Here is a photo of them all stacked up.

A detail photo of the tails on one of the boards.

And a photo of the tail section in the Leigh Jig with a backer board to reduce tearout.

Cliff

Beautiful!